Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. So, I am replacing my valve covers. When I was doing by driver's side cover, I did not have a torque wrench capable of being set to the low torque settings required to properly do the valve cover bolts. So, I just sort of did one round of fastening that felt "light", and then a second round that felt tighter.

By the time I did the passenger side, I had the correct torque wrench, so I torqued those to the correct spec, which I think is something in the neighborhood of 74 inch-lbs. I was very surprised at how light this spec is. When torqued to this spec, there is a noticeable gap all around the valve cover that I can put my fingernail in.

Anyway, the driver side cover is way overtorqued. It seems like my options are:

1. Do nothing unless it leaks.
2. Loosen the bolts a little, then re-torque to spec.
3. Take the valve cover off, clean up the rtv. Reapply rtv, reinstall the valve cover, and retorque to spec. (I'd rather not do this.)

What would you do?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I'll disagree. Plastic valve covers will expand and contract a little with every heat cycle. If the fasteners are overtightened, you're likely to have some leaks as it distorts the plastic just a tad, or at least you squished out the RTV where it's needed. If I were you, I'd remove the valve covers, redo the RTV and retorque to the proper spec. 74 in-lbs is only about 6 ft-lbs, which is basically finger tight, plus a little more with a small 1/4 inch drive.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I'll disagree. Plastic valve covers will expand and contract a little with every heat cycle. If the fasteners are overtightened, you're likely to have some leaks as it distorts the plastic just a tad, or at least you squished out the RTV where it's needed. If I were you, I'd remove the valve covers, redo the RTV and retorque to the proper spec. 74 in-lbs is only about 6 ft-lbs, which is basically finger tight, plus a little more with a small 1/4 inch drive.
True, but if the OP torqued the cover down as much as he said he likely compressed the rubber gasket so it may not seal back. I originally was going to say remove and reset too but idk it’s 6 one way half dozen the other.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Unless you have an expensive torque wrench, your passenger side is also improperly torqued. If the left side 'felt right' when you did it, I'd leave it alone. If you F'd it up and it leaks, fix the side that leaks.
The only times I've used a torque wrench in 50+ years is for cylinder heads.
Even then, it was more to achieve consistency than get an actual torque value.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
One of my favorite tools

Note: Choose the item which fits your needs best.
1/2” (14.8 to 147.6 ft-lbs.)
1/2" (25 to 250 ft-lbs.)
3/8” (5.9 to 59 ft-lbs.)

Simple, compact, convenient, accurate and rather inexpensive

Reactions: westslope

·
Registered
70 Posts
One of my favorite tools

Note: Choose the item which fits your needs best.
1/2” (14.8 to 147.6 ft-lbs.)
1/2" (25 to 250 ft-lbs.)
3/8” (5.9 to 59 ft-lbs.)

Simple, compact, convenient, accurate and rather inexpensive
I read the first few reviews on Amazon. Not good.
It looks cute though.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
The only times I've used a torque wrench in 50+ years is for cylinder heads.
Even then, it was more to achieve consistency than get an actual torque value.
You say that like it's a good thing. Is it a machismo thing to not do things correctly? Do you refuse to wear your seatbelt too?

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I think i over torqued mine too, later on i went back out and loosened them and gently re tightened them, still without an inch lbs wrench. I dont think it made a difference, there was already a slight leak starting from the pas rear corner, but its more of a weep than a leak, not gonna worry about it until its a problem.

actually i think i bought an inchlbs wrench from harbor freight and it never seemed to work so thats why i didnt use it in the first place. I just returned it after the job( i had already started when i realized it didnt work right so i just finished the job without it)

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I read the first few reviews on Amazon. Not good.
It looks cute though.
Fair enough ,I agree the first handful of reviews were not positive.
However, the overall reviews was listed at 4.5 stars our of 5 . This becomes a bit more reassuring when you consider there has been apx 1350 reviews with over 400 comments posted.

Yes, there was a couple legitimate complaints, but there were also a good many " It failed to read 4ft/lbs when it was clearly advertised to read a min of 14.7ft/lbs. And the " Paperwork showed it was calibrated 10 years ago" (Maybe they purchased this item at an online seller which has a low volume of tool purchases rather than somewhere like Summit Racing or Jegs)

Who knows :)

Ive owned mine for a couple of years and have been pleased enough that I've considered the purchase of the 3/8 5.9-59 ft/lb torque option

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ive owned mine for a couple of years and have been pleased enough that I've considered the purchase of the 3/8 5.9-59 ft/lb torque option
Ok, sounds like you've been in a garage long enough to know, so I won't push back too much 😛

But let me ask you this... would you use it to install a propeller on an airplane ? 🤣

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Would I tighten a propeller on an airplane with this tool?

TBH, I would probably be a bit concerned regardless of the torque wrench I used.
However, if were talking about a 6bolt prop and the use of safety wire, I would be willing to take a flight after using this tool to torque the prop in place.

Reactions: RamTest

·
Registered
70 Posts
Would I tighten a propeller on an airplane with this tool?

TBH, I would probably be a bit concerned regardless of the torque wrench I used.
However, if were talking about a 6bolt prop and the use of safety wire, I would be willing to take a flight after using this tool to torque the prop in place.
I heard John Denver used it... but that's just a rumor.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks all. I'm going to roll the dice. If it leaks, I will reinstall. I will buy another gasket in anticipation of possibly having to do that.
I wouldn't buy one until you need it. Then you're really rolling the dice !
It's not like you'll be stranded if it starts leaking.

·
Registered
808 Posts
..... What would you do?
Buy a proper lower-end digital torque wrench and re-do the valve covers.

If you plan on keeping the X for another decade or two (likely the most cost effective option for serious off-road work), then a proper digital torque wrench for finer work will come in handy.

Reactions: mtnbound
1 - 18 of 18 Posts