Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All thanks for your inputs in advance.
I have the bilstein 5100 install on all Font & Rear,
Currently on stock springs, Im considering changing out the springs, any recommendations what will go well with the bilsteins?
also, fyi - This is my daily driver and I only take it on light trails.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Hey All thanks for your inputs in advance.
I have the bilstein 5100 install on all Font & Rear,
Currently on stock springs, Im considering changing out the springs, any recommendations what will go well with the bilsteins?
also, fyi - This is my daily driver and I only take it on light trails.
What is your intention? Stiffer springs have their pros and cons and if you're only doing light trails and have an otherwise stock X (no skids, winch/bumper, etc.), then stiffer front springs might not be such a good thing.

I have stock front springs and the 5100's as well, set to +1.5". It takes a lot to bottom the front end. The only reason I'd get stiffer coils would be if I add weight...

·
Registered
2,316 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,539 Posts
The Bilstein 5100s work best with stock coils springs according to Greg at PRG. It is his opinion that changing to stiffer springs with 5100s will worsen ride and offroad performance to an unacceptable level. In his opinion, when one needs to change to stiffer coils (such as when running an aftermarket steel bumper) there are other shocks with more suitable valving for that application.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks for the input, i will leave the srpings as is... Now my next question is, with my current set up do i need to get uca's or is it recommended but not necessary? Or is it not even necessary for my current set up.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
3,171 Posts
Ok thanks for the input, i will leave the srpings as is... Now my next question is, with my current set up do i need to get uca's or is it recommended but not necessary? Or is it not even necessary for my current set up.
Posted via Mobile Device
You probably don't need the UCAs, especially if you're not getting coil bucket contact. Are you getting loud clangs when going over speed bumps or hitting pot holes? If not, you don't need em :drink:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I bought the TJM 5100 over the summer and put it in a couple weeks ago. Found out that was a mistake and should have researched better. The springs lifted the front about 2 to 2.5 inches and extended the Bils. I talked to Greg and he said since I have no armor in the front and no aftermarket front bumper this set up would not work. He said the OEM springs with a the 5100's is a decent set up if your not going hard on trials. Also I cannot do a lift because of my garage. I ended up putting my OEM springs back in and now all is good. The ride is a little stiffer but cool with it. I also spoke to Dave (Bliss_X) and he have me great advice also.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
The thing with the TJM springs is that, they are not a bad product. It is the fact that most people don't use them with the proper setup. I ran the medium duty springs on the front of my x for over 6 months with a shrock front bumper, sliders, my custom roof rack, and later with the shrock rear bumper. They rode pretty good. Not stiff at all, and they flexed very well off road. Even with no armor I think the med duty springs would be ok. The HD ones would ONLY be acceptable if you were fully armored and had extra weight in tools/equipment. Like I said, its all relative to how much extra weight you are carrying. The downfall to the TJM setup is that the TJM shocks don't do too great of a job dampening the suspension. If you drive over a lot of really rough roads, the truck shakes around a bit. This is where a better shock like a radflo or saw shock is a better option, which is valved specifically for a stiffer spring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts