Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys I have a couple of questions about CB radios.

First off, what are the advantages of having a CB over one of those little walky talky hand-held things (besides distance)?

Secondly, are there any really nice looking CB radios out there. I hate the "non-factory" look that they add to the Xterra. In other words do they make any that look asthetically pleasing. As you all know price is not a factor :drunken:

Thirdly, how often do you guys use your CB's, and where do you use them? I dont know if it will be worth the cost if im just going to use it for trail riding.

I know absolutely nothing about these things guys, so please keep the terminology to laymen terms.

Thanks dudes!

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Dude, do a search for the cobra one i got. It was cheap and fits in with the decor of the X. But in your case your going to have to blow a load on it before you install it! ha!

Im going to instal mine in the arm rest. And i only paid 30 bucks for mine, so its not an arm and a leg, And USMC showed me how at certain exits ont he high way you turn to diff channels and can hear the truck stop hookers talking it up. NO SHI*! Itsa the most entertaining thing in the truck!

·
on line
628 Posts
I believe I have the same radio as you mcampana, and I did just that, installed it in the armrest/center console. I'll get some pics up later on tonight.

S_e_X-Terra, truth is unless you have a need for all the bells and whistles that the higher priced models give. All CB Radios are exactly the same. I.E. 4 Watts of transmitting power (unless you attach some kind of ILLEGAL amplifier to it). Some probably last longer than others, but I am pretty confident that the little Cobra Ultra III, I bought at the Wal-Mart for $35, will last long enough for me. The important part is the Antenna setup. From what I have seen, none of the components for an antenna are expensive, so get the ones that have a good name attached to them. Avoid Radio Shack, I didn't at first, so I ended up going to the Big Rig type dealer places and buying new components there. If I would have done it right the first time I don't think I would have spent more than $100, excluding the SWR meter.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If you are worried about looks, get the Cobra 75 WXST. All the controls are in the mic. It can be disconnected and put away when not in use.

As far as uses.

1. Entertainment while traveling long distance. When the radio gets old, it's fun to listen to the truckers talk to each other (no, I have never listened to the truck stop hookers).

2. Speed traps on major highways. Truckers are real good at letting other truckers heading the other direction know where the police are sitting.

3. Communication while on the trail.

I like CB's more than the FRS units because I don't have to worry about batteries, losing it (the FRS always end up on the floor), and sound quality. I do however carry two FRS units in my X also.

·
on line
628 Posts
Muzikman said:
If you are worried about looks, get the Cobra 75 WXST. All the controls are in the mic. It can be disconnected and put away when not in use.
That's the one I was orignally intending to get, but no one had it here locally and I really wanted to have one for the run we made this past weekend. But it definetly seems that model is worth the money for the convenience.

·
on line
1,127 Posts
Ok here is my setup which sounds identical to everyone else's.
1. I used the mounting bracket that came with my Cobra except I went to lowes and bought all new machine screws, fender washers and lock nuts because after some good washboard the cobra stuff would have just ripped out.

2. I drilled a one inch hole at the very bottom of the bin in the back and a 1/2 inch in the front, and put rubber gaskets in them so that it looks stock. In the front i wired a stereo cable from my after market head unit and out the back i ran a 2 foot antenna cable and the power for the cb. Just below the Fuse on the power cable of the cb I cut the wire and put in bullet connectors so that i can easily take the cb out if i need to.

3. That two inch antenna cable i ran underneath the center console and out just behind the passengers seat. (there's enough play between the carpet and plastic so that you don't need to drill any holes) I put a barrel connector at the end of that cable so that an antenna can be easily attached and removed since i use a magnetic antenna.

4. I just run the cable around the cab and out the back hatch when ever i have the antenna connected.

5. As for power I just used some wire taps and tapped into the cigarette lighter thats in that console. Then I connected my aux cable through my stereo so that i can listen through my speakers. Although it is plenty loud enough without out doing that even with the compartment closed. Then just close the console with the mic coming out. And when your done the mic fits perfectly in with the cb.

Pros: Very Cheap the entire thing including cb, wiring, and antenna was only about 75 dollars. And best of all it looks OEM.

Cons: The cb requires power to hold the channel that you are using so every time you turn off the car the cb defaults back to channel one so you have to go and set it back to the channel that you are using.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Go go xterradude. Thats where mine is going. Oh, and i got that email by the way. Thanks!

Jason.....................You need to caravan somewhere with USMC and he will teach you all kinds of weird crap your CB will entertain you with.

And as far as the antena goes. You need an "rf meter?" Correct me if im wrong Jason. But i needed it to tune in my antenna. I just have one that you stick to the roof with a magnet. Works wel for taking it on and off with out hassel. But i think id like something more permanant. Im thinking you can get an antenna with some sort of quick disconect?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
the meter you are talking about is an SWR meter. It is used to tune the antenna.

Magnetic mounts are find, but have two problems IMO. 1. they get knocked around (and off) by low handing branches. 2. If you leave it in one spot you will start to get a change in color of the paint under the antenna.

If you go with something like a firestik you can buy a quick disconnect mount. I however opted for a heavy duty spring mount and just leave it on the vehicle. I use it as an indicator if I am going to fit in a parking garage. :)

·
on line
1,574 Posts
xterrdude, i did ur exact location, but i got my handle in the little pocket on the passenger seat side. it works great, keeps the cord and what not outta the way..

·
on line
628 Posts
I put mine along the side with velcro, so as to conserve room for other junk (with the mic pulled out), plus it allows the whole compartment to amplify the sound (since the speaker is not facing a surface). I can hear it perfectly with the lid closed. I did however put two holes in the bottom for the antenna and power wires, but not before I made sure I had some plugs to cover them up with, should I ever remove it.

On the plus, at least it is amber lit, it matches all the rest of the dash.

·
on line
628 Posts
Fits in there like a champ, and stays put with the velcro (doesn't weigh very much), Lid closes down with no resistance from the Mic cord. Coin holder makes a perfect Mic clip, well maybe not perfect but it stays put. Even if I had gotten the Cobra 75 WXST I had intended to mount it inside here.

·
on line
316 Posts
How tall are your guy's antennas? The one I have up on mine right now is about 2 to 3 feet in height. (Standard cobra antenna). I have 2 longer ones but the magnets are probably worn out and they are all gummed up from packing tape.

·
on line
2,072 Posts
damn you guys, now I gotta go and do this mod. I thought I would be done until after Xmas (just waiting for my sliders) but now........damn.

·
on line
316 Posts
USArmyX said:
I'm running a 2' Firestik II, mounted with a Mirror type mount on the crossbar.
Im bringing the X into my schools shop tomorrow to do some mounting and splashguard removal so I'll really get a chance to clean it up. I kind of threw it together yesturday and for the most part its all set to rock and roll, just gotta secure the CB and clean up the wires running all over the place in my center console.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts