Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
im new here and i need help. how do i tap into the + wire of the dome light? want to install footwell lights. want them to come on off when the dome/map light comes on and off. thanks and sorry for the stupid noob question. 2007 xterra

·
on line
22,508 Posts
You can tap the power that comes out of the button that is depressed in the door jam when the door is shut (No power) and not when it is opened (Power). It is the small black button that is covered in black rubber.
Those door jam switches are typically the ground circuit, not power. You could use that to ground the foot lights, but that would make them always come on when you open the door, and you would not be able to disable that. Also they would not turn on when the door is shut and you turn on the dome light.

Op: if you want them to function exactly in unison with some lights, you'll want to tap into power and ground circuits of the dome light.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
478 Posts
Pin 63 on the BCM (brown wire, BCM M20:63) is the ground for the map lights. If you used this for your ground, the footwell lights will behave like the map lights except that you can't turn them on independently (without opening the door, taking the key out of the ignition or pressing unlock on the remote).

If you want them to behave exactly like the map lights, I think you'd have to run a wire from the negative side/tab of the map light bulb to use as the ground for the footwell lights.

Ignore the circled pins in the image below (they were from something else I did). You want pin 63.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts