Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying as of yesterday, the Xterra was starting fine with no problems at all.

Today, I go to install an aftermarket HU. Now, this is about the 4th or 5th unit I've installed in the X and NEVER had anything like this. However, in this case, this is the first time I've done it with the rest of the stereo stock. I had gone back to stock earlier this year and decided to do a simple upgrade so we could have iPod compatibility still.

I finish up and was listening to some tunes just to see how it sounds. All of a sudden the unit starts distorting and I notice the lights are starting to dim. Weird, but I went ahead and decided to start the Xterra up as I hadn't turned it on yet today.

I'm met with a loud rapid clicking noise from the ignition, but it's not even trying to turn the car over. After I stop there is a weird kind of humming noise for about 3 seconds with the guages acting a little funny. Then it just shuts down. I've tried both keys and my best guess is the Vehicle Immobilizer system has kicked on for some reason. I tried the reset in the manual, but no go.

Anyone have any idea or suggestions??? Going to kill power to the vehicle by unplugging the battery and will report back with my findings.

·
on line
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, taking off the negative off the battery did nada.

Edit: I should add I don't believe it's a dead battery as it's not even trying to turn over the engine.

2nd edit: I also forgot to say I've already put the stock HU back in. No difference.

It's an angry clicking noise.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Try this... it might or might not work. Do you have power to all your components (ie battery still has power)?

1. Put the key in the ignition, and turn to ON...it will turn on for around 6 seconds (give or take).
2. As soon as dash component come on, turn the key off and take it out of the ignition.
3. Repeat 3 times
4. On the last time (4th all in all) once you turn the key to ON try and start it.

·
on line
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that the procedure to reset the airbags? I did try it...no go.

Yeah, batt still has power. Everything works fine till I go to start the damn thing.

·
on line
113 Posts
Sounds like a battery problem. Quick way to check it is to turn on your headlights and try to crank it up. If your headlights go out or really really dim, your battery has no capacitance left. It has enough juice to run some lights, but no amps to crank

·
on line
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
willgr1 said:
sounds like a dead...or very near dead battery.....try jump starting it and letting the alternator charge up the battery for a while.
Yep, you're right. Never had a vehicle act that way. The last time I went out, it became very obvious it was as lights started getting much dimmer and the vehicle didn't do a whole lot. :)

Jumped it with the other car, and worked like a champ! I'm going to go to Wally world for a new batt!

·
on line
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cincinnati_xterra said:
Thats what most cars do with a dead batt.
I've had several batteries go bad in other vehicles, but this was easily the strangest a vehicle has sounded when doing so. Looking back I should have thought of the batt sooner considering the way the radio behaved, but at least it's fixed now. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts