Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, i have an '07 X with plain jane cd player HU, can anyone tell me where i can buy an adapter to add amp with the stock HU...thank you for the help :cheers:

·
on line
1,361 Posts
you could just get an amp with speaker level connects that way you can run your existing speaker wires to it.

Not sure if you are looking to add better speakers or a sub.

·
on line
31 Posts
lostboy said:
you could just get an amp with speaker level connects that way you can run your existing speaker wires to it.
That's my plan. Get a 4 channel amp with speaker level input and splice off the ACC wire to use for the switch on/off with the non-RF HU (unless there's a better way). Then get speakers, and eventually a dual DIN DVD HU with RCA outputs.

Anyone know if there is a front crossover on the stock speakers, they don't show on on the wiring diagram and is been too cold and snowy to take off my panel (losing screws and stuff in the snow sucks).

·
on line
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just want to add an amp, and not loose my stockers. and i dont want to power any of my stockers, just add an external amp. any suggestions?

·
on line
1,638 Posts
lowhombre said:
i just want to add an amp, and not loose my stockers. and i dont want to power any of my stockers, just add an external amp. any suggestions?
Did you not read the comments above??
Either of the 2 suggestions above will work.

1. High to low level converter or
2. Amp with high level inputs.

·
on line
631 Posts
lowhombre said:
you want to keep your stock speakers, but have the amp power the stockers?? if that is what you want to do, i dont suggest it.

if you want to add an amp to power something else then here is what you will need.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TM9lRmOIww8/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=721&avf=N

Line output converters, as stated above. Still keep power to the stock speakers OR cut power off completely to feed signal to the converter. this will allow you to hook RCA cables to the factory stereo.
you will still need to hardwire the main power cable, ground and remote wire. ive done this install into a 2004 frontier. its not hard, but i have done many stereo installs before so i kinda know what i am doing :cyclops:

·
on line
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry for the confusion, i dont want to power my stock speakers just add an external amp. so will that converter work? will i still have sound coming out of all speakers(not powered by amp) and have an external output for an amp?

sorry for the novel, never done this before with stock HU, always went with the aftermarket route. maybe it will be easier to go that route. what do you guys think. thanks for the help and advice...

·
on line
631 Posts
lowhombre said:
sorry for the confusion, i dont want to power my stock speakers just add an external amp. so will that converter work? will i still have sound coming out of all speakers(not powered by amp) and have an external output for an amp?

sorry for the novel, never done this before with stock HU, always went with the aftermarket route. maybe it will be easier to go that route. what do you guys think. thanks for the help and advice...

whether you DO or DO NOT want to power your stock speakers, the converter will work. installation is simple. all the converter does is "convert" (hence the name) the sound output signal from the stereo so you will be able to use RCA cables.

if you wish to cut power off to your stock speakers then disconnect the electrical connector from the backside of the speaker. I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU CUT THE WIRE TO INSTALL THE CONVERTER!! Please, be smart and splice it correctly.

but if i read what you wrote correctly... you want to keep your stock speakers, keep power to them so you have sound, but install an aftermarket amp?? am i correct?? if yes then this is the way to go. you will still need to hardwire the amplifier (main power, ground, remote wire) otherwise it will not work. with a stock HU this is the only way to go. I to have only dealt with aftermarket HU until my sister decided to put a system in her car.... and who got to do all the hard work?? ME! oh well, it was worth it. and it sounds excellent!! tight bass, nice mids and highs from the speakers all with a stock HU... im so proud of myself

but if you have any questions feel free to PM me. dont get stuck hacking up the wires and cutting and splicing and what not. i am not familiar with the color code for the stereo wiring, but i am sure there is a post somewhere..... somewhere out there.

·
on line
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TeamMezmerize said:
lowhombre said:

whether you DO or DO NOT want to power your stock speakers, the converter will work. installation is simple. all the converter does is "convert" (hence the name) the sound output signal from the stereo so you will be able to use RCA cables.

if you wish to cut power off to your stock speakers then disconnect the electrical connector from the backside of the speaker. I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU CUT THE WIRE TO INSTALL THE CONVERTER!! Please, be smart and splice it correctly.

but if i read what you wrote correctly... you want to keep your stock speakers, keep power to them so you have sound, but install an aftermarket amp?? am i correct?? if yes then this is the way to go. you will still need to hardwire the amplifier (main power, ground, remote wire) otherwise it will not work. with a stock HU this is the only way to go. I to have only dealt with aftermarket HU until my sister decided to put a system in her car.... and who got to do all the hard work?? ME! oh well, it was worth it. and it sounds excellent!! tight bass, nice mids and highs from the speakers all with a stock HU... im so proud of myself

but if you have any questions feel free to PM me. dont get stuck hacking up the wires and cutting and splicing and what not. i am not familiar with the color code for the stereo wiring, but i am sure there is a post somewhere..... somewhere out there.
thanks for the help, i still yet to make up my mind if i want to that route, or aftermarket...thanks for the help...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts