Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know where to go for the best deal. I need to tow two motorcycles, and possibly some gear. I might want to get a closed trailer. So I'm guesing nothing more than 3500lbs. What hitch should I get, and from where?

·
on line
735 Posts
depends. The best deal might be the employee price on the nissan (valley hitch) one with the tow light plug bracket integrated into it.

the one I got for $159 (too high IMO) was the draw-tite brand. It fits and pulls well, but doesn't have a brkt to hang the plug on. Those plugs just get torn off so I did the bumper mod and took a 2-1/8 hole saw and flush mounted it to the grey bumper 1/2 way between the lic. plate and the outer edge.

·
on line
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mike100 said:
depends. The best deal might be the employee price on the nissan (valley hitch) one with the tow light plug bracket integrated into it.

the one I got for $159 (too high IMO) was the draw-tite brand. It fits and pulls well, but doesn't have a brkt to hang the plug on. Those plugs just get torn off so I did the bumper mod and took a 2-1/8 hole saw and flush mounted it to the grey bumper 1/2 way between the lic. plate and the outer edge.
Thanks, you can use the employee price on accessories? I don't know anyone that works for Nissan but maybe someone can help me out on the forum. Do I also have to get the harness? Or is the harness there just not hooked up?

·
on line
735 Posts
I really don't think the nissan one will be the cheapest unless you can buy a take-off from somebody selling one off their X.

the harness is an extra item..about $55. it is a sub harness that is a couple of feet long and plugs into a spot near the rear wheel. I don't shop around to save $10 or $15 bucks. I found the drawtite at a place near me. I needed it to tow my utility trailer. At that time, nissan had a recall on the tow bars on X's and frontiers and mine had been removed and a new msrp window sticker made up priced without the option.

If you can get one near $150, you are doing good.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
4x4parts.com has the best deal on the hitch it's self.

yournissanparts.com has the best deal on the harness.

·
on line
83 Posts

·
on line
2,938 Posts
I don't remember if there was drilling required or not. If there was it was easy to do.

·
on line
975 Posts
You should buy one off of somebody who has replaced there rear bumper and hitch with a Shrock.

·
on line
589 Posts
Actually I can sell mine, but the issue is anyone that had one on there still needs to keep their wiring harness.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
To mount that hitch from 4x4 parts, drilling is not required. It's a Valley hitch (same company who makes the OEM hitches). The only difference between that hitch and an EOM hitch is the OEM has a rubber piece where the step is and it has a bracket for the wire harness.

With the one from 4x4 parts, the step is still there, it's just metal and I would suggest drilling a hole in the back of the bumper and mounting the plug there. Before black panther's site went down, there was a nice how-to for doing this. I think all it takes is a 2" hole saw and a normal drill bit (forget the size) for the bolts to hold the plug in. It looks good and is more practical.

·
on line
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Erick said:
Actually I can sell mine, but the issue is anyone that had one on there still needs to keep their wiring harness.
That's not a problem, as cheap as possible is what I'm getting at. How much would you sell the hitch for?

Thank you to everyone who answered my questions. Very helpful.

·
on line
735 Posts
the hole saw for the bumper mount is a 2-1/8 which is the same size as the saw to cut door handle holes for home and office so if anybody in your family is handy, you might already have one around.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
mike100 said:
the hole saw for the bumper mount is a 2-1/8 which is the same size as the saw to cut door handle holes for home and office so if anybody in your family is handy, you might already have one around.
do any of you have the pics for this install...Iam not seeing it....

·
on line
259 Posts
Got it from Uhaul. $160. 30 minute install (20 of those finding my tools).
Got the factory wire harness. $52 Drilled the bumper. You can even get cheaper hitches at www.etrailer.com. All hitches are more or less the same. Just some steel that bolts to the frame.

Couple of pics of my install:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts