Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to work at 7 am today, saturday, and couldnt frigging sleep after someo idiots made a bunch of noise in the parking lot. So i started looking for some other tires. I know, i know, they will wear fast. Faster than my bfg's anyways. But its xmas, and ive been getting alot of cash from clients, and i have always had my eye on these tires. I remember someone posting that they had them. I was wondering what the word is now on the on road handling and in the snow. Super Swamper says they are great in snow and ice, but i want real world info!

TrXus Mud Terrain Radial

·
on line
1,208 Posts
Kneebuster has them, maybe send him a PM, and I also believe there is 1 more who has these, but I could be wrong about that. From the looks of them, all the siping and biting edges of this tire, i would say that they should perform decent in snow and ice.

kneebuster said:
1. Brand: Interco (SuperSwamper)
2. Type: TrXus M/T
3. Size: 255/85R16
4. Photo:

5. Where did you purchase this tire?: Discount Tire (local)
6. Price per tire?: $139
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N: Y
8. If so, what were they? (If applicable): AC coils with Old Man Emu shocks up front, AC single AAL in rear. Melt mod in front. These were done to fit the 285's I'd been running.
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: I've only got 1500 miles so far but would give them a 9. Great off-road. Solid on-road. Not much noise for an M/T and only slightly rougher ride. Gas mileage seems to be down a bit (not surprising).

·
on line
1,123 Posts
brutus_skx is right. I've been running them since June. Wear doesn't seem unreasonable and noise isn't bad. We've only had light to moderate snow, no deep stuff yet, but they've handled fine both in town and on the freeway. They were great on dirt, rocks, and mud, and look nice and aggressive to boot. The only complaint that I have is the hit to my gas mileage. I was running 285/75R16 Dueler Revo and lost 10-15% on mileage (at least 2 mpg) in switching to these in the 255/85R16 size. I expect a hit going to a MT, but didn't expect it to be that big. It is worst when driving around town, but there is definitely a highway decrease as well.

·
on line
40 Posts
I had these on my cherokee in the 33x12.50x15 flavor and they were awesome tires. At about 150 a pop they inexpensive compared to Nitto Mud-Grapplers and BFG MT's. They were unstoppable off road (mud, icy rocks, and sand). On the road they performed better in the snow, ice, and wet than the BFG all-terains I had before them. I had no regrets about this tire and are my first choice for a mud terrain tire that also performs great on the street in all conditions.

·
on line
564 Posts
kneebuster said:
...The only complaint that I have is the hit to my gas mileage. I was running 285/75R16 Dueler Revo and lost 10-15% on mileage (at least 2 mpg) in switching to these in the 255/85R16 size. I expect a hit going to a MT, but didn't expect it to be that big. It is worst when driving around town, but there is definitely a highway decrease as well.
Wow...that sucks especially since the 255/85-16 TrXus MT is a pound lighter and not quite as tall (32.7" vs 33") as the 285/75-16 Dueler. I guess the tread pattern and rubber compound effects fuel economy quite a bit.

Rob

·
on line
271 Posts
Currently running these tires in 255/85R16. I haven't noticed that they wear too much especially compared to the Xterrains I was running before. No problems so far at with 3,000 miles.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Mark,

Talk to Shodan (Darrin) and Lykofos (Mike) over on WPAXC. They both had them, neither got more than 20K out of them before they were drag slicks and I don't think either of them would buy then again.

Also, talk to Bill over on pgh-offroad. He had them and came out a number of times and said they were the worst tire he has ever had.

When I was looking at tires, knowing the experiences of these three people (who I wheel with quite often) turned me away from them totally.

They might not be a bad tire if you are looking for a wheeling set of tires that will be put on only for wheeling. But if that is the case, I would go full out swampers (something in the TSL line).

·
on line
10 Posts
tires

I ran a set of 33/12.50's on my '99 Cherokee and had 28k on them before I sold it 6 months ago. They still had at least 1/3 tread left, and most of my miles were street. They are remarkably quiet and did great in the snow & ice. I think for the price they are the best deal on the market for M/T's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts