Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

I Just bought on ebay a Folding Flip Key Case

11K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  carlosfpr 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
There is a "how-to" for that. Haven't done it myself, but when I get time I would like to. You have to remove the little transponder piece from the original key and put it in the new casing, so its a little more than just switching the guts out. Let us know how it turns out for you.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13704&highlight=key+fob

#3 ·
thats exactly the same one I had. Prices must ahve fone up, I paid $11 for mine. Everything is very easy to do except putting the back cover on. The back cover has a spot to clip the battery clamp from the OEM remote on. But i realized that the mould is not correct. I still managed to get it to work but took quite a few tries. FYI. Use a small flathead to hold the clip in place, line everythign up and pull it out and press the back cover on as fast as you can. Try it so see if it works before screwing the cover on. Took me maybe 15-20 times to get that back cover on.

#6 ·
Love it! Been grumbling every since we picked up the X because the clutter on my key rings (bulky remote AND key). The one thing I liked about the Chevrolet Equinox (what wife drove before the X) was the remote with flip key. With my challenger I just stick the whole key fob in the "key hole" and it works like a key, so no loose keys with it either (but $$ to replace).

Anyhow, I checked the eBay link and entered 2010 Xterra S. It said NOT COMPATIBLE! Boo hiss! :(

Does anyone know if they make a compatible unit for the 2010 Xterra S? I don't mind to swap the guts, etc as long as it will work.

#9 ·
Anyhow, I checked the eBay link and entered 2010 Xterra S. It said NOT COMPATIBLE! Boo hiss! :(

Does anyone know if they make a compatible unit for the 2010 Xterra S? I don't mind to swap the guts, etc as long as it will work.
Those are set up by the person that lists the item. He might have just not checked all the boxes. There is no difference between remotes/ keys 2005 +

#12 ·
home depot cut mine for free as well. mine has also stopped working. tried a new battery and nothing. now it's in the junk drawer.

#15 ·
the remote in the "flip out" package. it's gotta be something with the contacts on the back of the case. I can take it apart, put it back together, and it'll work fine for a while. then it'll just stop working all of a sudden. i have to take it apart again, put it back together just to keep using it. it's a PITA!

#16 ·
This little project has been a real pain.

First, the case didn't matched exactly the size of the small circuit board of original remote. I had to cut part of the rubber and bend the connectors until I finally got it to work.

Then, after 3 tries, I found a locksmith that made the key. I tested the key in the parking lot and opened the doors and turn the ignition to On, but didn't start the car... I didn't know that the key have a small transponder inside the black part of the key. < dumb! :violent1:

Now tonight I have to "try" to remove the transponder from the key and glue it on the case.

Let's see if this works :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.