Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doubling up on questions today!

First one, I'm looking into getting red led dome lights to replace all the interior lighting in my X. Have any of you done red lights, if so between the various types of leds what did you buy and do you like them? I had a friend who did red bulbs in his acura and I thought they were nice but fairly dim, I hear red is usually darker than other colors and since I'm cheap I only want to buy once if I can help it.

Second question.

I'm slowly talking myself into getting some sliders that would require drilling to mount correctly. Honestly I'd use them more as steps to get into the X than anything else I can think of right now, but I'd rather be prepared then not..plus they'll look cool cruising the mall :D My question is, if I drill holes in the frame should I coat the now exposed metal with something to prevent rust, if so, what should I use?

tl;dr if you have red interior lighting what leds did you get and do you like them. Should you coat drilled holes to prevent rust, if so using what?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I replaced my front dome lights with LEDs. I went with one white and one red. The red I have on the passenger side for while-driving, it is bright enough to get the job done but I wouldn't want both front lights red. The white is on the driver's side. I also have a red in the rear seat, and a white in the rear cargo area.

Here's what I ordered:

VLEDs red dome light

VLEDs white dome light

You will need 4 total to replace all of your dome lights. Two in the front seat, one in the rear seat, and one in the rear cargo area. HTH

·
Super Moderator
4,455 Posts
To answer your second question re sliders:

After looking at all the commercially available sliders I chose Hefty because of the step option. (I have short passengers who need one, and I wanted the feature to access the roof rack without having to balance on round tube.) White Knuckle are another slider with a step option, but I didn't like the "running board" look.

[urlhttp://www.heftyfabworks.com/shopping-cart.html#!/~/product/category=202494&id=1525333[/url]

http://white-knuckleoffroad.com/nissanxterra.htm

·
Registered
527 Posts
I had Shrox sliders before my BL and then got BL WK sliders with diamond plate after BL. I used the stock mounting locations without drilling into frame with both. I bought extra long bolts, used extra large washers with same size bolt holes, two lock washers and extra long nylon locking nuts on each bolt. Never had them come loose or even had to re-tighten any and I check(ed) them constantly. I don'nt use them to slide over rocks. I use them for steps and to acess the roof. I feel they'd be beneficial in a T-bone situation also. If you have a BL, the non-BL sliders are better for use as steps. Wish I had bought non-BL WK sliders even with my BL for my needs.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 7 of 7 Posts