Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While waiting at a stoplight, X is in neutral I heard what sounds like something might be loose like rattling or maybe or a light grinding noise. Light turns green I put the clutch in and the sound seems to go away. Get home and the same thing. The sound seems to come and go. I plan to take it to the dealer next week but would like some ideas when I go in. I know that several people have had problems with their clutches, I am about 36,500 miles now. Does this sound like a clutch or input shaft bearing or ????

·
on line
471 Posts
I dont know about clutch but there is a TSB out for rattling/vibrations coming from the timing chain areas. I havent had this problem though so I dont know first hand what it would sound like.

·
on line
97 Posts
I have heard some "rattling" noises from my clutch pedal as well. Mine is a new 07 and it started not too long after I got it. I have had it into the dealership to try and find the noise but they have been unsuccessful after 3 attempts. They said my noise isn’t anything mechanical its just one of those noises that is "there" then gone. It only happens when it is in gear, driving (torque is being applied) and at 3K on the tach. That’s the only time I can make it rattle and it will stop if I push in the clutch about 1/8 to 1/4 of fully depressed. I think its something that is attached inside the cab to the pedal or front clutch switch but I haven’t figured it out yet. Not sure if this helps but that’s my story...

·
on line
105 Posts
Rmatzen said:
I dont know about clutch but there is a TSB out for rattling/vibrations coming from the timing chain areas. I havent had this problem though so I dont know first hand what it would sound like.
Apologies ifor the post-jack,

If you can post a link to this TSB, I would appreciate it. I've picked up a rattle at around 2200 RPM that sounds like it may be coming from the timing chain. I'm trying to figure out what it is and where it's coming from.

regards,

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Manual tranny. Possible throw out bearing?

·
on line
500 Posts
willyswan said:
Rmatzen said:
Apologies ifor the post-jack,
If you can post a link to this TSB, I would appreciate it. I've picked up a rattle at around 2200 RPM that sounds like it may be coming from the timing chain. I'm trying to figure out what it is and where it's coming from.
regards,
NissanHelp - You have to login to get access to the "Bulletins" (lowwer right quadrant of home page), and then you only get one service manual down load a day, but it's free.

Patrick

·
on line
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went to the dealership today, and of course when I got there it wouldn't make the damn noise as loud as normal. I had the service manager drive it and listen though and got it documented at least. He said everything felt ok. He also mentioned that they had just replaced the clutch on a 2007 with 8600 miles, and blamed it on the driving habits of the owner...

·
on line
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats good info thanks! Mine definitely goes away though when I depress the clutch. In fact if I do it enough times the sound will go away which made me think something in the clutch was hanging up. I will wait a week and take it in again and hopefully be able to duplicate the sound this time.

·
on line
139 Posts
dezurtrat said:
Manual tranny. Possible throw out bearing?
+1 to throw out bearing as a possibility -- especially since it goes away when the clutch is engaged.

3 of the last 4 manual transmission vehicles I owned developed this sound / behavior after 5-10k miles or so. In some cases, heat affected the behavior so you wouldn't always hear it until the car warmed up.

If it's the TOB, it's not worth trying to find a fix for since most dealerships won't consider it a problem. Even if you replace the whole clutch mechanism there's a good chance it will return anyway.

D-Rock

·
on line
42 Posts
Anyone ever figure out what this problem is? I noticed it back when I had less than 20,000 miles but I've never been able to recreate the problem when I'm at the dealer. Exact same symptoms, rattle occurs between 2K-3K rpms and when I press the clutch pedal in, it quits. I'm now at 47,000 miles and would like to solve this before the warranty runs out. I had it at the dealer today and they still can't get it to rattle.

·
on line
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope sorry dude, My X was getting worse and worse and the squeaking/grinding/rattling was getting louder and louder. I ended up getting my Frontier before I ever found out the cause. The release bearing is my best guess..

·
on line
91 Posts
I don't think this is the problem you are experiencing but my belt tensioner was making a really annoying noise that could be heard inside and out but would go away at about 2500 rpms. It was replaced under warranty. On a side note another place to check for rattling would be a loose heat shield.

·
on line
206 Posts
I have the same issues - 15k - for a while now and the dealer told me it's normal. Of course it's normal. Everything for them is normal - they're worthless, and thus so it's the warranty. I am planning on trading the vehicle for a V8 4runner with an auto tranny. I love the 6 speed, but hate that rattling noise.

·
on line
2,004 Posts
hey guys I have an unknown answer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts