Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i installed a brush guard and that means i lost my recovery hook and when i am pulling people out in the snow this winter i dont really think i want to use my brush guard to attack my reovery rope. so this is my idea, (untill i get my custom rear bumper but thats not for a while) is that if the stock recovery hook that i have lying around i might as well find a new spot for it like where the x has the same holes for the tow hitch in th frame. i checked it out last weekend and they look to line up i know they use the same bolts. i havnt put it on because i am at school but i will try it out and see how it goes this weekend when i come home. just wanted to know if anyone has ever tried this be for and if not what do you guys think of this idea?

thanks
brett

·
on line
294 Posts
frontier guys do it all the time on CF. no issues that anyone noticed. its the cheap fix for those who dont want/cant afford a tow hitch.

·
on line
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you know of any pics just so i can see what it looks like????

·
on line
15,651 Posts
First, if you are pulling someone out, you do not want to do so in reverse. The gears in the diff are not designed to that that kind of load.

The only issue I see is that the bumper mounts on the frame in the rear are up behind the bumper. This means your recovery strap will put a lot of stress on the bumper and possibly damage it.

·
on line
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i can see the bumper stress but i would not be pulling anyone out in reverse that is why i want it in the back so i can pull them out going foward

·
on line
15,651 Posts
My point was, you were talking about since you no longer have a front hook and how you don't want to pull people out via the front brush guard...I just wanted to make sure you knew not to pull in reverse.

·
on line
807 Posts
Obviously the bumper on the X is completely differnt, but here it is on my Frontier:

·
on line
376 Posts
Put it on the back and see if it will work for you. It works fine for Frontiers, but I'm not sure about the bumper clearance on the X.

·
on line
294 Posts
thanks for the pic steve. i was about to go searching CF....

·
on line
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok i will try it out tonight when i get home i will post some pics to let you guys know how it goes

·
on line
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i tried it out and it didnt work out but i do have a solution. i got the idea from the pics that was shown before but the catch is i would have to drill my own holes witch i can do. and it hangs low enought to just clear the rear bumper so i just have to drill and it will be in soon i will let you guys know how it goes. i will probly do it saturday or sunday so exspect some pics

1 - 12 of 12 Posts