Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wheeling two weeks ago and once again, 4th time, my X had problems switching between 4wd modes. For the second time it was stuck in 4lo. I tried all of the tricks to get it out of 4lo but it just kept blinking at me like some sort of... well it was bad.

So, once again, I crawled under and manually changed it into 2wd and drove home.

As I've had 3 t-cases, 4 control assy, 1 control module, and a few control relay's changed under a now expired warranty I've decided that a solution is needed.

I pulled my control assy and opened it up to see what we're dealing with.

The shaft through large spoked spur gear is what engages the tcase and controls which mode it is in. On the gear you can see an arrow that point to the left this indicates the gear is in 2wd mode.

The electrical connector consists of 7 pins arranged:

1 2 3 4
_ 5 6 7

Pins 5 and 6 connect to the motor.

1,2,3 and 4,7 are signal switches that indicate the position of the main spur gear. They are connected to spring contacts that interface with a gold pattern on the back of the spur gear. I didn't have time to see which open/close corresponding to what angle of the gear.

2wd is engaged when the gear is in the 12o'clock position on the vehicle (90 in the picture since the assembly is rotated 90 deg left). 4lo is engaged when the gear is rotated clockwise to about the 10:30 position.

I will throw my X up on some stands and figure out when 4hi and neutral (maybe) is engaged.

My thoughts are either an emergency override electronic control box to force 4wd mode changes or to try and replace the rotary dial with a push/pull cable based control.

I'll post updates as they come along.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
i seem to recall a couple of people tackling this issue in a recent thread. one was converting their 2wd to 4x4, and looking into a rack and pinioin/cable actuated lever system, and the other had arranged a set of momentary switches along with an arming switch to activate the factory electronic actuator. iirc, 90 degrees clockwise from 2hi is 4hi, and about 180 from there is 4lo, with neutral in between (not otherwise selectable).

·
on line
4,594 Posts
Interesting to see the actually "workings" of that unit.

·
on line
3,171 Posts
Ya that's really cool to see how it works, and I wasn't expecting so much plastic in there!

I vote you try to convert to a manual cable switching method, and post how you did it with lots of pics. Then you can remove the 4wd knob and put something more useful there. Like a 3rd 12v plug. Or, use the knob to control roof lights or something.

·
Registered
550 Posts
check out the thread "how to convert from 2wd to 4wd" or something like that. in the how-to section. I think he mentions how to switch it to a manual changeover.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
the manual part is a little difficult. however i have had no problems with my electric switch. I control when it goes into 4hi and 4lo independent of what the computer thinks it can or should do. Its worked beautifully so far. Abs sensors dont stop me from getting out of a situation if the need ever arose and I know exactly whats going on. Takes a little bit on knowing about whats going on but its pretty useful. not to mention cheap since it was a couple relays, switches, and led lights.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ahh yes- "everything you need, nothing you don't"...except for a bunch of electronic controlled poo
Irked the hell out of me waiting 2 minutes or better waiting for the 4lo and locker to engage the other day. Glad I wasn't in any great hurry to use them
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Isn't that what your left hand is for?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts