Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
on line
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I had all 8 lights on, no front plate, too many people in the car, past curfew, and driving onthe beach.

Well, me and some friends went to a bonfire..we left completely sober (not a single drink) and I was driving the X along the beach unaware of the 15mph speed limit. I was going around 30-35.

Before I know it, Im blocked by two constables and a police car and they are banging on the window with a maglight.

Here's the thing.... 51mph in a 15mph zone. And a "you better not have those highbeams on again"...

thing is, I wasn't going 51mph and my parents took my keys for this.

Here's my argument..tell me what you think.

After doing some research, I found that
1. CB radios cause interference in radar
a. I had it on
2. Neon causes interference
a. I had it on and pulsating to a subwoofer
3. Fluorescent light causes interference
a. well, 8 55W halogens?!
4. Irregular surface
a. it was a sandy, lumpy beach!
5. Large bodies of pater causing humidity clouds
a. is the beach a Gulf enough body of water?

what do I do?!

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i was pulled over doing 90 in a 55 once, got a lawyer and got probation before judgement. another time i was pulled over for doing 70 in a 55, walked into court, pled guilty and apologized to the judge and got probation again......when i was in court that day, some kid came up and tried to talk his way out of a ticket with all these reasons similar to something you listed above....the judge looked aggravated and found him guilty, gave him fines and points.

i'm not one to give any advice, but these are some of the experiences i've had.

·
on line
500 Posts
Lawyer up, or bend over and say "may I have another, sir". I've never heard of middle ground on traffic tickets.

Patrick

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Pay the fine and obey the speed limits. The cops are going to point out that:

1. you were driving with a truck too full of people while speeding on the beach - these factors likely caused you to lose attention of your actual speed and that the highly trained and experenced radar gun operator operating a properly calibrated tool measured your speed correctly.

None of your arguments will fly.

Man up and be responsible.

·
on line
47 Posts
PaulXyZ said:
Pay the fine and obey the speed limits. The cops are going to point out that:

1. you were driving with a truck too full of people while speeding on the beach - these factors likely caused you to lose attention of your actual speed and that the highly trained and experenced radar gun operator operating a properly calibrated tool measured your speed correctly.

None of your arguments will fly.

Man up and be responsible.
I'd agree but at least give it a shot in court. Do w/o all the reasonings on why the radar "could've" been wrong. I've found honesty in front of a judge is your best bet. Go in hoping to get off but not expecting it. Politely & briefly tell the judge that you were speeding (if he has a full caseload that morning 35 is the same thing as 55) and did have all your lights on but you realize it was all a huge mistake. 1 of 3 things can happen 1)He has bigger fish 2 fry (DUI, etc) & by your being brief & honest is 1 less docket off his desk instead of listening to longwinded excuses wasting his time so he let's you off w/ or w/o probation. 2)Not sure of what state you're in but here in Mass if the cop doesn't show you're automatically not at fault so you get off there also. 3) He still sticks you w/ the fine and the points. Personally I think it's worth a shot, I'm running about 50/50 so essentially breaking even. You'd think I'd learn by now. :bounce:

·
on line
10,133 Posts
Do not lawyer up...that's just a waste of money. Go to the court date, and talk to the prosecutor. They will likely lessen the fine/points. When you're talking to the prosecutor, don't bring up any of that BS in your first post. Just explain that you're sorry and you realize you were completely in the wrong and that you won't do it again. Other than that, as Paul said, Man Up and Be Responsible!!! Ahhhhh....to be young again....

·
on line
2,248 Posts
I would have to agree with most everyone else here. Don't go into court with a list of excuses and printouts from the internet about how CB's and neon lights may screw with radar readings. The Judge isn't going to want to hear it, and it will likely just aggravate him. Take a second to put yourself in his shoes, or even the shoes of the cops who stopped you.

I have to side with your parents on this one. Even if you were only going 30-35, I'd still take your keys away. A bunch of kids in the vehicle, past curfew, speeding down the beach? It's time to say to yourself, "I was being a [email protected] and I got caught."

Just take it as a learning experience. It will make for an amusing story when you're older.

P.S. Mods, can we move this to off-topic?

·
on line
1,045 Posts
Back in Kansas I was able to just speak to the prosecuting attorney (DA?) and they would usually knock down a speeding ticket to diversion... Another time I went to court and the DA offered me the deal before I was go to before the judge.

Try talking to the DA first, this will avoid court.

Don't go with excuses... as the other's said, it will just piss them off.

·
on line
129 Posts
Definately go to court, WITHOUT a lawyer. Be courteous and polite, and man up for the mistakes. Unless you already have a long history with the courts due to traffic violations, you will more than likely get off with court fees, and no points. That has been my experience in the past, and has 99.9% of the time, worked for me.

·
on line
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm 16...

I don't have any other violations.

I am going to try to meet with the officer who issued the ticket and see if he will drop it before it goes to court. I admit that I was speeding around 30-35..but not 51. Out of all the people there, I was the only not-drunk driver who was taking people home who didn't feel safe in the car with a drunk driver.

·
on line
197 Posts
shutterman0991 said:
I don't have any other violations.
That's great and will be a fantastic help.

I am going to try to meet with the officer who issued the ticket and see if he will drop it before it goes to court. I admit that I was speeding around 30-35..but not 51. Out of all the people there, I was the only not-drunk driver who was taking people home who didn't feel safe in the car with a drunk driver.
I'm pretty sure that this case is WELL outside of the arresting officer's hand at this point. The case belongs to the state at this point and it's in this pesky little thing called their computer right now. I don't think there's any taking it out of the computer unless the judge dismisses it...which "could" happen with the help of a lawyer.

A lawyer might be able to barter with the states attorney/prosecutor to drop it on the grounds of it being a first offense. "Might" being the operative word but you'll be talking about at least $500 I'd guess to get that lawyer.

Is the ticket written as a "Speeding" ticket?...or as a "Reckless Driving"? I ask, because a lot of states consider going +20 over the speed limit as reckless driving. They claim you were going 36mph over posted, and that could be a problem.

Going greater than 15 over posted qualifies as a "Serious Traffic Violation" in TX, just as is a reckless diving. See footnote 13: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/PEOPLE/INJURY/enforce/speedlaws501/toc/txspeed.pdf

A second problem may be that you have a "Probationary" and/or "Graduated" license under state law.

Assuming it's only a "Speeding" ticket, call a lawyer or two and explain the situation. Typically an initial consultation is free. Consider your options. Realistically, with a lawyer, that lawyer would work with the states attorney/prosecutor to get the +36mph over speeding ticket (51 in a 15) reduced to speeding 10-15 over, if not dismissed. Any dismissal (good news) is probably going to require some remedial courses (bad news) given your age.

I'd talk to a lawyer. Good luck.

·
on line
2,573 Posts
Def don't go into court with that List of excuses.

The Judge will be 3+ times your age and will have heard every excuse in the book and may even give you a couple that you'll be shocked to hear.

Talking to the officer may help as long as you don't argue the speeding ticket. I'd just apologize for being in the wrong and leave it at that. It wouldn't hurt you any but may make him think that you are more mature than the Punks he pulls over regularly.

Maybe you pay the fine and don't get the points.

I'd take a fine over points any day.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
My two cents:

Just go in, be respectful and take it like a man. Not only will the judge appreciate it but your parents will also like you owning up.

Good luck dude!

·
on line
169 Posts
You should have asked to see the radar gun. If you do anything more than 10 over ask to see the speed on the actual gun used right when you get pulled over.
Then ask the officer when it was last calibrated. If he/she does not do either, you have a case if it still gets sent to court. Also if the officer never shows you can ask these same questions to the court i.e. "Why did the officer not allow me to look at what the radar clocked me at?" or "When was the device last calibrated?" If no one can answer at the court you can accuse withholding of evidence and your right to face your accuser. Both are a stretch but it is a start.

·
on line
77 Posts
What locality was this?

I've been to traffic court many times. Here's my advice. If you truly didn't do something, then hire a lawyer. But if you possibly did, NEVER try technicalities like "the CB radio interfered with the RADAR unit." Pause and think how you would feel if someone came and tried to challenge your authority and expertise with something like that.

Again, this depends on who you get, where you are, and wether or not they had their morning coffee, but I would suggest you say something like: "Guilty, your honor. Sir, it was stupid and I'm sorry. My parents have taken away my car and I've learned my lesson." Not another word. I also wouldn't mention that everyone wasn't drinking besides you. The judge might not like to hear that you hang with a bunch of 16 year-old drunkards.

Where I'm from you also could have gotten tickets for all the headlights (you can only have on 2 headlights and 2 fog lights), no front tag, sound heard >50 feet from vehicle, exceeding maximum speeding limit, driving off roadway, passengers in the car with a provisional license, and i'm sure a slew more. Was this a public beach that you can drive on? And be on after dark?

Honestly though, I remember when I got my first/only traffic ticket when I was 18. I wanted to hire a lawyer so I felt like I at least tried something. Don't, while it's a big deal to you, it's petty stupid stuff overall. It's just a waste of money.

·
on line
77 Posts
OK, sancho, again this depends on localities. Here, that would piss off a bunch of people, including the judge. You don't think that's been tried enough times to find a simpler way to handle it? RADAR units are not actually calibrated like one might calibrate a scale. They are certified regularly and that certification is kept on file with the PD's certification unit. The RADAR operator only needs to say that it's current and on file. The officer, without getting into details how, tests the unit before and after using it, to verify that it's working correctly. They DO NOT have to show it to you. And most guns do NOT record the speeds like people think.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts