Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
on line
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know this! Did you?

I have been driving for over forty years. One would think I would have noticed the little secret on my dashboard that was staring me right in the face the whole time. I didn't and I bet you probably haven't either.

Quick question, which side of your car is your gas tank on? If you are anything like me, you probably can't remember right away. My solution is to uncomfortably stick my head out the window, strain my neck and look. If you don't do this in your own car you definitely have done it in a borrowed or rental car.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to share with you my little secret so you will no longer look like Ace Ventura on your way to the gas station or put your neck at risk of discomfort or injury.

If you look at your gas gauge, you will see a small icon of a gas pump. The handle of the gas pump will extend out on either the left or right side of the pump. If your tank is on the left, the handle will be on the left. If your tank is on the right, the handle will be on the right (see photo above). It is that simple!

I don't know how you feel right now but when I found out this morning I felt cheated!

Why don't the dealers share such important information with car buyers? I don't understand why this isn't in the driver's manual? I don't get why any mechanic I have ever been too or know has even thought of mentioning this to me? The only possible explanation can be that all these people probably don't even know!

Go out and share the world's best kept auto secret with your friends as this information is way too important to be kept secret.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Some show a arrow next to the fuel icon..

Did you find your second Glove box? :)

sorry had to add that one...

·
on line
432 Posts
I had my X for over a week before one dark night I found the second glove box. I felt so stupid becuase I'd read this board for months and seen the jokes about it.

·
on line
443 Posts
I just remember what side it is on. I have 4 cars and I remember them all...I jsut always dont remember what car I am driving. D'oh

·
on line
148 Posts
i figured out what side the tank was on, but i couldnt get the damn thing to open at first. i must have looked like a tard at the pumps with my owners manual out. I figured there had to be a release somewhere for it!

·
on line
3,331 Posts
Kyle4583 said:
i figured out what side the tank was on, but i couldnt get the damn thing to open at first. i must have looked like a tard at the pumps with my owners manual out. I figured there had to be a release somewhere for it!
You think that is bad... I had a 91 Jeep wrangler, bought it used and it didn't have a manual... so anyway the gas cap is hidden behind the license plate. I had to call someone to figure it out. I was at the pump for like 10 minutes before I found it. Felt like such an idiot. I must have walked around it 15 times feeling around for it.

·
on line
225 Posts
This is how I also felt when I found the second glove box. Went to get into the regular one and hit the lever on the second one. It opened up.... "Son of a bitch... How long has that been there?". That was after probably 6 months of ownership.

·
on line
750 Posts
Kyle4583 said:
LOL, I did the same damned thing. I spent 15 minutes at the Costco gas station trying to find the fuel tank door button. People waiting in line were getting p-o'ed.

Just push on the door, Bio. Classic.

·
on line
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ha ha yeah when my dad got his 05 X it took me about 10 to 15 minutes to figure it out and when i finally found out how to open it i was like OMG you gotta be kidding me lol

·
on line
145 Posts
Grouch said:
this little 'trick' is not always true though. Least it's not for my Ford, but then again...it's a Ford. The gauge shows the handle on the passenger side but it refills on the drivers side.
My 07 Xterra is the same. The handle (on the pump in the guage) is on the passenger side. However the little arrowhead is pointing to the driver's side. I go by the arrowhead when I'm in a strange vehicle.

·
on line
429 Posts
I just remembered about this thread and it isn't true for my 05 X. Pump hose/nozzle on right/passenger side of icon, tank filler obviously on the left/driver. The arrow, however, is correct.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts