Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,
I have a 2013 4x edition. Through this forum I believe the front end is 1/2 to 1" taller than most other models. I also believe this height comes form the shock assembly.I am hoping someone can advise if the height is in shock, coil, bucket, etc...

If I install a lift kit, ex: an OME for 1.5" lift, will this only result in a 1/2" lift because of the above height differences, or will I get 1.5" over current configuration.

Is it safe to assume I can avoid CB contact with a 1.5" lift with spacers or shock and coil lift?

Background: I would like a small lift, mainly for cosmetics. I only will off road a couple times a year. Mainly use the 4 wheel drive for snow and occasional trail. I could see doing a more appropriate lift (upper arms, coils, etc...) after putting more miles on car.

Appreciate any help.
Ed

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
They are all the same height more or less. The tires might give you a 1/4 advantage over a non off road.
The ome should give you 1 1/2" approx. You could always add a small spacer to get the exact lift you want. Shouldn't be any contact with 1-2" of lift.
If you plan on upgrading i would get a spacer shackle or spacer add a leaf until you save up.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
What is this, ask a lift question weekend?

As 21sf said, most of the height comes from the larger tires on the PRO-4X. I think the Bils fronts still use the same spring as the other trims, and rear leaf packs are the same - the shocks are simply better.

A full OME replacement (leaf packs and coilovers) will give you a 1.5" nominal lift on top of the tires' height - may start higher or end up slightly lower depending on the truck's load and wear.

·
Super Moderator
4,532 Posts
I have the PRG kit that includes the Bilstein adjustable length front shocks, extended length Bilstein shocks in the rear, 2-leaf AAL and pinion angle axle shims. (purchased 3/13). I don't believe it is shown on the PRG website as a kit, but is sold that way if you order by phone.

I was originally going to use the PRG 2" spacer and AAL kit, but Greg at PRG noticed that my OEM Bilstein shocks (I have an '05 Offroad) had worn bushings (not unusual after 8 years of service), so due to the mileage on my rig it made economic sense to replace the shocks while the spring assembly was already apart. Although the adjustable length Bilsteins were a bit more expensive than OEM Bilsteins, they were less expensive than other good aftermarket shocks for lifted Xterras and eliminated the need for spacers.

Since you have a low mileage rig you probably have no real "need" for new shocks, so until you know how involved in offroading you actually become and what your ultimate needs really are, a spacer kit will likely work just as well and is less expensive.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have the PRG kit that includes the Bilstein adjustable length front shocks, extended length Bilstein shocks in the rear, 2-leaf AAL and pinion angle axle shims. (purchased 3/13). I don't believe it is shown on the PRG website as a kit, but is sold that way if you order by phone. I was originally going to use the PRG 2" spacer and AAL kit, but Greg at PRG noticed that my OEM Bilstein shocks (I have an '05 Offroad) had worn bushings (not unusual after 8 years of service), so due to the mileage on my rig it made economic sense to replace the shocks while the spring assembly was already apart. Although the adjustable length Bilsteins were a bit more expensive than OEM Bilsteins, they were less expensive than other good aftermarket shocks for lifted Xterras and eliminated the need for spacers. Since you have a low mileage rig you probably have no real "need" for new shocks, so until you know how involved in offroading you actually become and what your ultimate needs really are, a spacer kit will likely work just as well and is less expensive.

This^^

·
Registered
179 Posts
Picking up on an old thread, Im curious how your spacer lift turned out OP? Im thinking of going the same route with my '12 Pro4X. I dont wheel a lot but just want enough space for 33"s. I spend most my time on fire/Logging roads and stuff that cars cant really get to but nothing like the stuff the guys in Moab and CO ride. Did you ever follow through with the lift?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
i've put 70k+ miles on a set of spacers in the front and an add a leaf kit with TC UCAs to stop coil bucket contact. just upgraded to radflo emulsion rears and am waiting on a couple small parts to install extended travel radflo 2.0 fronts.

ETA: i'm not running front or rear sways, if you want to keep your front swaybar, you'll also need extended endlinks to prevent binding and wearing of the swaybar bushings.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great question, I did begin with the spacer lift. I incurred some coil bucket contact and a serious addiction to offroading. I have removed the spacers and installed extended travel coilovers and control arms. I would recommend doing cotrol arms for 2" or more, in my experiences, even at 2" you will experience some bucket contact with stock control arms.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Im thinking of going the same route with my '12 Pro4X. I dont wheel a lot but just want enough space for 33"s.
You can run 33s with no lift at all. All you need to do is the melt mod.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Rather than start a new thread I have a quick question. My OEM shocks are done and I want to upgrade to an OME suspension kit, but $$ is short.

Can I run Nitrocharger Sport shock/struts on a factory suspension, until I can afford the rest of the kit?

2008 Xterra S, 85k mi.
Do you mean to put the stock coils onto the OME struts?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts