Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Pro 4X,Night Armor.
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a pain in the @ss. I learned a lot and if I had to do it again it would probably take half the amount of time. It took me about 5 hours from start to finish but had a couple issues to deal with that slowed me down.

I took the front passenger side wheel off and removed the fender well plastic for access to the left one and rear one. The rear one I did partly from the wheel well and part of it from up top. The drivers side one I did last.
I wrestled with the connectors a bit and for me it was easier to remove the sensors and then remove the harness connectors.

At one point, I dropped the rear one and it fell down in the back somewhere. I started feeling around and felt something odd in the cubby hole on the back side of the engine. Got out a mirror and it looked like remnants of a mouse nest in there.
I spent a fair amount of time getting the shop vac hose back in there and sucking it all out. I found the sensor and was back in business.

After that I connected the harness first then put the sensor in in case it slipped again. It went a lot easier.

I watched the video from Ry the Car guy a couple times before doing it. Definitely was helpful.
Just glad it's over.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
5 hours? Yikes. That's a 1 hour job tops. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

·
Registered
'07 X 5AT
28 Posts
I've changed the crankshaft sensor on my 07, but haven't done the camshaft sensors yet. Were you having symptoms, or just PM, if you don't mind me asking?

·
on line
2,921 Posts
were you able to do the pass side camshaft sensor thru the wheel well then? i did the crank a few months back as preventative. it was pretty easy more or less.

i need to do spark plugs, becasue it's getting time i think, and i need to do both cam shaft sensors. if i could knock the pass side out qucik then maybe i will do that sooner rather than later then do the drivers side which i believe is the one that takes so long?

·
on line
2,921 Posts
What a pain in the @ss. I learned a lot and if I had to do it again it would probably take half the amount of time. It took me about 5 hours from start to finish but had a couple issues to deal with that slowed me down.

I took the front passenger side wheel off and removed the fender well plastic for access to the left one and rear one. The rear one I did partly from the wheel well and part of it from up top. The drivers side one I did last.
I wrestled with the connectors a bit and for me it was easier to remove the sensors and then remove the harness connectors.

At one point, I dropped the rear one and it fell down in the back somewhere. I started feeling around and felt something odd in the cubby hole on the back side of the engine. Got out a mirror and it looked like remnants of a mouse nest in there.
I spent a fair amount of time getting the shop vac hose back in there and sucking it all out. I found the sensor and was back in business.

After that I connected the harness first then put the sensor in in case it slipped again. It went a lot easier.

I watched the video from Ry the Car guy a couple times before doing it. Definitely was helpful.
Just glad it's over.
and what is the rear one? the crankshaft sensor?? is the left one the passenger side camshaft sensor?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one that found it to be a big pain that took longer than expected. Now you're good for another 100k+ miles at least!

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
1,293 Posts
It is obvious we all have different skill levels so as long as you get it done and it works then it really doesn't matter how long it takes you. Besides, the longer it takes the more adult beverages you get to enjoy.

In tlrtucker's defense, if you are a skilled wrench then 30-40 minutes is very doable. When I did mine it was a cold engine, there is only one 10mm bolt for each cam sensor on the top rear of the engine with nothing else to remove. For the crank sensor remove the passenger wheel and inner fender, remove the rubber plug and one 10mm bolt and then put it back together. Even retorquing the lug nuts took no more than 40 minutes. The worst part is the safety clip on the passenger cam sensor.

Not saying more or less time is better or worse but he is correct on his 1 hour or less as a reasonable time.

·
Registered
2011 Pro 4X,Night Armor.
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah between the mouse nest, lunch, a couple phone calls, dropping the one sensor and having to find it, spending a fair amount of time on that one rear clip ( it seemed like it was broken and not spring activated after i put it back on ) and a test drive it ended up taking the whole day. I guess i could have tried to be more like a Nascar pit crew but wasn't really in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Reading this, I think I'll just pay my mechanic. The only reason I'd wanna do it myself if it broke on the trail and I'd have no idea where to look....

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
1,293 Posts
Reading this, I think I'll just pay my mechanic. The only reason I'd wanna do it myself if it broke on the trail and I'd have no idea where to look....
It really isn't that hard and only takes a few simple hand tools.
It is also better to do it the first time on a cold engine in your driveway instead of stuck on a trail.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
And that's why mechanics charge so much.... lol.

·
on line
309 Posts
Nah man, you can do it and you'll feel accomplished once it done. Spend an hour or two and save yourself a couple hundred bucks in the process.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I changed mine in about an hour and I felt like I was going slow by constantly rewatching Ry's video. By far the hardest part for me was separating the wiring connectors. Definitely worth it because I carry spares now and would have no problem changing them on the trail.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts