Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, when I bought my X, I had a Valley hitch already installed, but not the trailer wiring harness.

I'm playing with where to mount it; my hitch doesn't have a bracket. I've seen the "in bumper mount", but don't think I want to drill into my bumper.

I'm playing with mounting it here:

I can't think of a reason not to mount it here, other than it would make the license plate harder to remove. This would keep the outlet out of the way when offroad, and I could tuck the wires between the hitch and the bottom of the bumper.

Can anyone think of a reason I shouldn't mount it here?

·
on line
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
willgr1 said:
cops may say something if it interferes with them reading the tag from behind, but besides that i don't see anything wrong with it.
I thought of that... it only really blocks the middle letters of Colorado at eye level. From "seat level" you should be able to read it fine.

·
on line
1,123 Posts
The only concern that I could see would be that the cable would catch on the locking mechanism on the trailer side and stress the cable/connector with turns.

·
on line
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kneebuster said:
The only concern that I could see would be that the cable would catch on the locking mechanism on the trailer side and stress the cable/connector with turns.
I thought about that...
Though I don't have much experience towing, wouldn't mounting it on one side or another also possibly cause stress when turing in the oposite direction?

·
on line
254 Posts
It may look like a target to your trailer when your connecting it is my only concern and it would be easy to damage. Had the same apprehension with drilling into my bumper but finally did it and no regrets at all.

·
on line
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cold Iron said:
It may look like a target to your trailer when your connecting it is my only concern and it would be easy to damage. Had the same apprehension with drilling into my bumper but finally did it and no regrets at all.
That was another think I was thinking about... while backing up, no matter where I put it, it is not protected.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
With the trailer tongue raised slightly above the ball just before connecting, if the truck and trailer bump each other, they will hit in the exact spot that you want to mount your plug.

I've bumped the truck with the trailer before (connecting the trailer). I've also bumped the trailer with the truck (backing into it). Sh*t happens.

The bumper mod seems to be the most secure place for the plug.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts