Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem. After I got my bodylift installed the little hole you stick the bar in to crank down the spare no longer lines up. I'm thinking about just cutting it off with a torch. Any other ideas?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Hmm, you know, that's not something I have thought of with a BL.

I wouldn't use a torch, but I say just cut it off. I guess the issue now, do you have some place to put the spare?

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't really need it. The tires I'm running now are 295's (33.6"). I thought about getting one of those Coleman roof racks and getting putting a spare up there to match my the tires I have now.

·
on line
807 Posts
Xterror said:
I don't really need it. The tires I'm running now are 295's (33.6"). I thought about getting one of those Coleman roof racks and getting putting a spare up there to match my the tires I have now.
Have fun getting a 33" tire off (or better yet, on) your roof by yourself!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
What don't you really need? The spare? Everyone needs a spare (hopefully matching the size on the truck). As for roof mounted spares...I would rather take up the cargo space inside. Big tires on the roof make those off camber situations even a bit more scary. They are also no picnic to put up and take down. Not to mention the hit on gas mileage you will take.

·
on line
1,638 Posts
I've heard of this problem before. But with my 3" BL, I had no problem getting the spare back in. Even my mechanically incompetent roommate had no problem getting the spare back in recently.

·
on line
704 Posts
I would go for an 'indoor' spare as well. Easier to get in and out. It does not get dirty and there is a smaller chance of hurting yourself. It sounds silly until you find yourself stranded somewhere w/o any help and you have to take that 33" mother down.

·
on line
704 Posts
I am wondering if there is a mod/part out there which will allow us to mount the spare inside the cargo area in the rear (think Jeep!). This will solve problems... I have an issue with Shrock rear tire carrier because our gate opens UP. For those of us who haul stuff in the rear it means that we have to open the gate every time we want to get access to the cargo.

·
on line
1,084 Posts
vman said:
I am wondering if there is a mod/part out there which will allow us to mount the spare inside the cargo area in the rear (think Jeep!). This will solve problems... I have an issue with Shrockworks rear tire carrier because our gate opens UP. For those of us who haul stuff in the rear it means that we have to open the gate every time we want to get access to the cargo.
Doesn't seem that much of a burden to swing the tire out of the way.....but if you think so, you can always go thru the backseat to get the cargo

·
on line
3,285 Posts
The tube that you stick the bar into is plastic. I removed mine shortly after I bought the truck. If I remember correctly it slides out toward the rear of the vehicle. I think there is a screw or plastic tabs - something holding it in place.

A Shrock rear bumper with tire carrier is the way to go. Before I bought the Shrock, I had my spare on top of the Yakima Load Warrior. Yakima makes a locking spare mount for their roof racks. The mileage did suffer (approx 2-3 MPG) , and the X was a little top heavy, but I dealt with it until I saved up for the Shrock.

I too thought that it would suck to have to swing the tire carrier open every time I access the hatch, but it hasn't really been an issue. The one issue that I had was being able to swing the tire carrier open when the X was hooked up to my quad trailer. I solved that with a hitch extension, longer safety chains, and longer wires for the trailer's electric.

·
on line
2,072 Posts
I was just reading the latest 4wheel mag ( no X in it again) and saw an ad for a rear tire mount that utilizes the 2" hitch. I will lokk it up and send the web site.

·
on line
2,072 Posts
ya, sorry. Saw it in the mag but didn't look at the site before sending. It looked like a good alternative in the mag, but not at $690 +, I agree

1 - 20 of 23 Posts