Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

i cant decide what tires...

2K views 15 replies 16 participants last post by  Rastaman 
#1 ·
i want new mud terrain tires but cant decide what to choose. i had wrangler MT/R on my wrangler and liked them but cant decide if i want those, brgoodrich mud terrains or pro comp or even something else..what you all recomend?

#3 ·
:clown: Yo irp88, here's a shot of Pro-Comp LT265-75Rx16 on my trailer, Xterra comp wheels--

--Now at 45lbs,inflate, these are 31.5 inches tall, they would shrink prob. 1/2 inch heighth on the 4200 lb Xterra though--

--

--Side note, you ever get up to the NewLondon Subase, cause just before the lower entrance, was a Grill/bar, the "LOVE BOAT", got some tender memories from there !!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

#4 ·
irp88 said:
i want new mud terrain tires but cant decide what to choose. i had wrangler MT/R on my wrangler and liked them but cant decide if i want those, brgoodrich mud terrains or pro comp or even something else..what you all recomend?
I've read a lot of good things about the new BFGoodrich KM2 M/T. They only released a few sizes this year, but if you want to step up to some 17" wheels you can get them in a 33" (285/70R17).

I run the Toyo Open Country M/T. The 285/75R16 is a load range E tire, and the sidewalls seem to be d@mn near indestructible. The biggest cons is that they're HEAVY and expensive. Although, maybe not as expensive as Goodyear MTRs in the same size. Haven't tried pricing those recently.

Give some thought to some Maxxis Bighorns too. Not very many people run them, but it seems those that do swear by them. The tread pattern is very similar to an MTR, but they're priced a lot better.

#9 ·
Tires

Dont leave out the Dick cepek's either! I run the FCII's which are a hybrid between a/t & m/t, in a load range E! Good grip, low noise, and they wear remarkably slow! The mud countrys, ive heard good things about as well!

P.S. didnt notice much of a fuel economy difference w/ 10 ply FCII's either...

#10 ·
Maxxis Bighorns, I have nothing but good things to say about them. Plus, they don't jack their prices up due to name recognition like BFG does.

#11 ·
I was looking at the DCFCII as well, but decided on the Toyo OPen Country MTs. I have the 285/75R16 and I love them so far. They have handled great in the mud. We get alot of rain here and I have not had any spinning out or any time that I felt like I could slip in the rain. They look cool and aggressive. They are heavy and I lost mileage, but not much when you factor in that they are 33" versus the stock 31"

there is also a great thread under Suspension and Tires

http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5817

#14 ·
Howzit, I've ran with BFG MT's on my past 3 trucks. The BFG MT 255's are definitely sweet on our xterra's.

Aloha, nalu's one

#15 ·
I'd vote for Firestone Destination MT if your in the mud tire market. I've read nothing but great reviews on that tire, most of whom were former BFG loyalists. If I hadn't gotten a good deal on my Terra Grapplers I would have bought the Firestones.

#16 ·
I think with all the different answers you are in the same spot you started at. Really you'll be fine if you get any of the ones recommended above. Its just a question of preference, tire availability, price and looks.

I would definitely recommend the BFG MTs and 255/85/16 is the way to go.

I ended up getting BFG ATs in 265/75/16 and I an very happy, but I still wounder if I should have gotten BFG MT in 255/85.

I would go around to the local tire shops and see what they have and what price they give you, and just get something you like and can afford. And then POST tons of pics of what you ended up getting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.