• X (Manual Transmission)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • S (Manual Transmission)

• Off Road (Manual Transmission)

• SE (Automatic Transmission

I broke my front diff and the model X i drive is...

5K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  dezurtrat 
#1 ·
To try to determine if a certain type of front diffs are breaking more than others (i.e. an OR diff breaking more than A S diff) if you broke your front diff please select which model you have

I know the X, S, OR and SE are supposedly the same drivetrain (for MT's and AT's), but it dosent hurt to be a little more specific here

#6 ·
dpatton said:
cookX said:
To try to determine if a certain type of front diffs are breaking more than others .... it dosent hurt to be a little more specific here
As I said before (in "the other thread"), If you really want to "collect some data", then include the vehicle's production date.
not a bad idea as ive heard that they made changes from the 05-06 i think..

but so far, its only AT's that have blown a diff, i know the MT's front diff is different than the AT's

#7 ·
There are A LOT of factors at work here though.

1. People with the OR model probably do wheel more often than those without (obviously there is nothing to prove this, but I bet it's strue).

2. People with the OR model might push their vehicles a touch more because they have the rear locker, so they can.

3. There are probably a lot more AT's out there than MT's.

#10 ·
My husband broke my front diff on my 05 Off-Road automatic @ Moab this past month! It was produced 3/05, we do wheel the heck out of it! He was going over a 2 ft step and got lift and spun the wheels and came down and it went crunchy on Fins N Things.

:cussing: :mumum:

He doesn't get to drive my truck anymore...

#13 ·
The way to get the process of a recall is to call Nissan.

Everyone that broke a diff needs to call 1-800-Nissan1 and make a complaint against Nissan itself - NOT a dealership. Once they get so many complaints they are forced to do something.

This is how the Titan got the recall for the rear. Enough people called and complained against the company itself.

#14 ·
spikheel said:
My husband broke my front diff on my 05 Off-Road automatic @ Moab this past month! It was produced 3/05, we do wheel the heck out of it! He was going over a 2 ft step and got lift and spun the wheels and came down and it went crunchy on Fins N Things.
Hopefully you're kidding, lol. I mean, talk about under-engineered. That kind of maneuver should not be breaking diffs. Where's the driver error? Wheeling in the first place? How do you take the best line over a steep obstacle/upgrade without spinning front wheels touching down on rock?

Oh, I know, keep it in 2WD!

#15 ·
There's an organization that oversees vehicle recalls. They're the ones that will mandate a recall based the frequency of reported issues. It was listed somewhere on the Nissan site. Essentially, if you have reason to believe a malfunction caused an "unsafe driving situation" then Nissan encourages you to not only report it to Nissan, but also to this organization. I apologize but can't seem to find the organization's name right now.

#17 ·
This one Xterra club I didn't wish to join, but I'm turning it into a upgrade mod oportunity.

I purchased a front differential from a 2006 Titan with the Off Road package, it comes with the 3.36 gears to match my rear dif and it only has 26,000 miles; cost $400. In the next week or two I hope to pick-up Pathfinder V8 axles, those will be $400 each new because no body has them used (not even ebay). Total for this upgrade in parts will be approximately $1,200. Far as I know LA RANA will be the first X to run a Titan front dif with Pathfinder axles, this combo will give me much more peace of mind running the trails and maintain the current width.

#22 ·
#24 ·
DezurtRat Quotes:
Originally Posted by spikheel

:cussing: :mumum:

See, this kind of info is critical because technically the diff didn't fail. It was smashed against something. Just curious to how the other diff's failed.
It was in fact you who worded it that way..:icon_smile: I'm with you though, I think I'm correct too. :iconbiggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.