Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an eye for Xterras for many years and finally decided to pull the trigger.

I started looking online for people in my area (Ontario) selling Xterras, and was pretty horrified at the condition/price I was seeing trucks in. What was on the market was either absurdly priced (stock 2012 non-Pro4X, with >150,000mi going for CA$22,000) or had been kept in a kiddie pool of salt and vinegar chips (extremely rusted due to the tough winters and heavy salting).

I knew that whatever I bought wasn't going to stay stock for very long and that I'd be throwing money at a new bumper, new tires, a roof rack, and other gear in short order. So when this truck popped up with 120,000mi for $13,000CA, I was both excited and extremely skeptical.

After a few long phone calls with the current owner, a clean carfax record, and receipts proving all of the work, I was pretty dead-set on this truck.

So you may be thinking to yourself, "never buy someone else's project car, you never know what kind of backyard Frankenstein bullshit is under the hood". I agree, especially when it comes to a ricer Miata that some kid has been turning a wrench on for the past two years, but I was told (and shown receipts proving) that all of the work on this truck was handled by a Nissan dealership, in-house. That includes the bumper install, the Morimoto lights, the suspension lift, even the 3M army-LARPing wrap job, all of which was handled by Nissan in Calgary.

The original owner was a kind retiree who drove it slow and careful to get groceries. The second owner was rolling in Alberta oil money and decided to dump that cash into this project car, but allegedly didn't do much offroading with it. The third owner bought the truck through Nissan, brought it to Ontario, and used it as his daily driver for a few years, and drove it offroad once or twice a year to reach his hunt camp.

The truck had the following work done on it (with the receipt record dating back to 2013!)
Radflo Coilovers
Bilstein Rear Shocks
OME Dakar Leaf Pack
OME AAL
Heftyfab Bumper & Rad Plate
Nisstec U-Bolt Flip
Adjustable Rear Shackles
KO2s
Smittybuilt 10,000lbs winch
A few days before I drove out to get the truck, the seller took it to a shop to have it inspected, certified, and safetied. The shop had him replace the rotors (frnt&rear), pads (frnt&rear), and the rear calipers. They also had him replace the right lower ball joint. All this had to be done to safety the vehicle, and despite it costing him $2,700, the price stayed at what we originally agreed.

He was a great guy, also in a uniformed service, and overall it was about as smooth of a buying experience as I could have asked for... until he told me about the engine. Turns out this isn't the original engine.

In August 2019, he was driving down the highway when the original engine gave him the magic smoke and the vehicle keeled over. After limping it to the Nissan dealership, they told him they would need to swap the engine. Now if he had gotten this done at some back alley butchershop, I would have walked away, but with receipts to show for it he walked me through how Nissan's own techs had replaced the engine with a 'new' one with just 60,000mi on it. They even warrantied the 'new' engine.

So here I am now, with a 120,000mil Pro4-X, packing a 70,000mi engine, with all the aftermarket trimmings I could have dreamed of, at a cost significantly less than all of the mods and recent work put together.

I've got lots of plans for the truck, a new rear bumper and tire swing arm on the way, and a bunch of interior electrical and quality of life projects involving Raspberry Pis, 3d printing, and other fun stuff on the way. I'm sure I'll have a thousand questions and stupid mistakes to make, so thanks for accomodating those here.

Oh, and I've already put some love taps into it while recovering myself from the muskeg.

But quickly opened her up

and got it mostly hammered out

Very much looking forward to more trips, more dents, and more recoveries.

Cheers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! The wrap is quite old now, and it's starting to go a bit brittle on the roof, but the fade on all the skyward surfaces just looks so damn cool, in my opinion. I love the patina.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I haven’t heard of raspberry pi mods. I’m going to look into that, that sounds fun. Cool truck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The first goal will be to replace the head unit with an RPi running OpenAutoPro.

Down the line, I've got pipe dreams of redesign quite a bit of the cabin, including a 'permanent' touchscreen mapping solution mounted on an angle between the shifter and the area where the 2w/4h/4lo selector is, some addressable LED's to serve as readouts for fuel, RPM, and oil temp, and some small screens left and right of the dash to display wing camera feeds from the blind spots. I've also got a pipe dream of switching to a fully digital dash.

Why would I do all these unnecessary cabin mods? Because nothing is sacred, apparently. :geek:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Nice truck!
Those carputer/pi mods sound extensive. I like it!
Careful with the old wrap. They get pretty hard to remove once they get really brittle. They just flake and tear off in tiny little pieces rather than pulling off in a sheet.
If you know a buddy with access to a paint shop... I hear baking it in the oven has the wrap practically falling off. Not sure how well it works when they get old, but that's what my brother's dealer does with wrapped trade-in cars.

Reactions: RecceLARP

·
Registered
581 Posts
Welcome in....Nice find

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When it comes time to re-do the wrap (expecting that I'll re-wrap it in 1~2 years), I'm expecting to apply the heat gun liberally!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice, look like you found a unicorn. How's the wrap holding up? I want one.
It's holding up very well, and it is great at keeping the little scratches and dings off the body!
It also appears relatively easy to do yourself. Sarah Tuned did a video on it a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
34 Posts
A buffing wheel, a hand held steamer and plastic razor blades will help in getting the remnants of the wrap off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice! I remember seeing the ad for this one on Kijiji - I think it was in the Brantford area? - but it stood out because a) it had been wrapped and b) all of the work on it had been done at a dealership in Calgary.

It’s always great to know that all was as described in the ad, and that the rig has gone to a good home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts