Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Must have been a mis-communication because the GF got me a winch for Christmas! She's pretty great.

Photo Evidence

Maybe not the exact winch I would have bought, but... that saying about gift horses...

Onto the questions! I believe this will bolt directly into my Shrock Bumper with not clocking necessary. Should I try to wire my solenoid as high as possible in the engine bay? or on top of the bumper?

Also, I would like to have it powered by a switch so the winch doesn't always have power, is this possible? Would it be too much work to put the switch in the cab? 08XOR has a pretty neat setup, but the switch is under the hood and I would prefer not to have to open the hood every time. Maybe a waterproof switch under the bumper somewhere?

Can somebody point me in the right direction as far as winch wiring threads etc.?

(Everybody: "Use the search button") :salute:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
What's up man! Congrats on the wonderful GF!

If you want, you can hook up a solenoid to the batt side of the winch cable, then run a small switch to the cab. Make sure you fuse or breaker close as possible to the battery.

Also suggest you ground it to the frame as our ground (batt side) has a sensor that review how much load is on the batt. This will help with alt draw when using the winch.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Use Anderson connectors, then you can qd between battery and winch. Plus you can wire up a set of jumper cables the same way. That is my plan.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Hey Snow.

Working at westmarine for 10 years, many of the marine products for 12v carry over perfectly.

In this situation, I'm looking at a winch solenoid. (winch rated for anchor and rode for 50+ Ft yachts)

This is a link to a continuous duty 750Amp rated solenoid used for that propose. Cost: $35

Link

You have to remember, the 'Controller' on top of a winch is just that, a solenoid in a box, and you can see how small those things are getting now-a-days.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Do most people have constant power to their winch then??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Most do, yes. And most also forget to breaker their winch cables. (No safety on a shorted line)

I'm never a big fan of the way people 'attempt' to build out their 12v systems in their 4x4s. Call me over cautios, or use to being surrounded my ocean and asking to be fried, but when I wore boats and their 12v systems, safety is my #1 concern.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Hey Snow.

Working at westmarine for 10 years, many of the marine products for 12v carry over perfectly.

In this situation, I'm looking at a winch solenoid. (winch rated for anchor and rode for 50+ Ft yachts)

This is a link to a continuous duty 750Amp rated solenoid used for that propose. Cost: $35

Link

You have to remember, the 'Controller' on top of a winch is just that, a solenoid in a box, and you can see how small those things are getting now-a-days.

That solenoid should work great. Wow, that's a lot cheaper than I expected. Last time I bought one of those I think I spent around $75-100. Sweet find.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
12v systems, big passion of mine. haha.

Here's a quick diagram for you Noah. Ill add the links to the bottom (From the place I use to work). Just browse amazon for better pricing.

the breaker is optional if you get the solenoid close enough to the batter. Added safety.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance, but does that work the same way a relay works???
Similar, But the breaker will 'pop' automatically where as the solenoid is a manual action.

Now its just time to get a synthetic line! _Dragline offroad Plug_ HAHA :wave:

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
My man! I'm a visual learner :)

My advice for those who want their significant others to buy them a winch:

Go wheeling with your SO and regularly put yourself in precarious situations in which you need someone to pull you out. I didn't even ask for a winch, she said she wanted me to have one!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
That's how I got approval for my first winch.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I verified myself. That switch would work fine as an inline killswitch. It is heavy duty enough. You could also do quick connects as another simple solution although that seems to get pricey fast with premade cables. Warn also has a kit that looks a lot like Ricel's diagram that seems a reasonable price:

http://www.warn.com/truck/accessories/power_interrupt.shtml

(edit: same one bakerX05 listed .. Doh)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts