Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an issue that I haven't seen any other threads on :angry5:

My far right knob that controls where the heat comes out, isn't working. Which is an issue since it is not stuck on defrost. The knob that controls the fan speed works fine.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I hate working on stuff behind the dash, but am afraid of the price tag of bringing it to a dealership.

·
Registered
27 Posts
most likely has something to do with the blend door. could also be the cable came undone. if you pop the dash off and follow the cable you should see it go to gear looking plate. that plate will move with the direction you turn the cable making the blend door move and change the air direction.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
When I got my 2015 brand new it had this issue. But mine was stuck on defrost. Which FYI The AC sucks when it can only blow on the windshield...

Since it was under warranty I took it into them, the tech debugged it and came up with "bad blend door AND/ OR bad control module" They ordered both and replaced them. Works great now, but not sure which one was really bad. Parts was in the low $200 range.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
most likely has something to do with the blend door. could also be the cable came undone. if you pop the dash off and follow the cable you should see it go to gear looking plate. that plate will move with the direction you turn the cable making the blend door move and change the air direction.
This is old school.

We don't have a cable driven system. There are actuators moving the blend doors around. I think you can see part of the system if you look way up under the dash on the driver side.

·
Registered
366 Posts
You could have a number of issues and this is not going to be an easy one.

Your control switch could have failed, could have a blown fuse, could have a broken or rubbed through wire, blend door may be jammed or seized, servo motor could have shorted or corroded.. There is just so much to this complex issue. My guess is that the servo isn't getting power to move the door. As some members have experience here you get a clicking (sort of loud and annoying) when the doors get jammed. You will need to first confirm that you have power going in and out of your selector switch. This can be done using one of the the many service manuals free for use online. There will be wiring diagrams complete with exactly what voltages should be in and going out.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wanted to give everyone an update on this. Nissan took a look at it and they said my blend door motor was burned out and it was $100 to fix (after $100 to diagnose) whatever lets get it fixed.

Well they replaced the motor and the blend door still won't move. They say the blend door is stuck and now they want to replace the whole assembly for $1,300+. This isn't happening. So I am back to square one. I am going to try to get to the blend door and see why it isn't moving, maybe it is the actuator.

·
on line
22,516 Posts
The blend door motor they replaced IS the actuator. It's the same part, blend door motor actuator. That was my problem that took me 10 minutes to fix that you PMed me about. That's what they already replaced. I agree it sounds like a broken or jammed blend door. Most of that $1300 quote is going to be labor to remove the entire dash. If you are DIY capable you can save much of that doing it yourself. You won't know until you get in there whether it's jammed and repairable, or if you have to buy a whole new unit. Plan ahead because you'll be without a rig while you wait to order one, or else you will be doubling your labor to put it al back together to drive while waiting for parts. You may need to have the AC system evacuated to remove the HVAC duct assembly. On many vehicles you do, so consult the FSM first so you know if you need to take it to a shop for that BEFORE you start tearing the whole dash apart.

·
on line
22,516 Posts
I checked and yes, as I suspected you will need to have the AC system evacuated before you start and recharged after ward. Have you looked through the FSM to see what all is involved to R&R the HVAC unit? It's all in there. I haven't done one in an Xterra but I've probably done 80-100 of these in various other vehicles to replace them or change heater cores or evaporator cores. Always a pain in the back as you are all upside down in ackward positions. You are not going to want to do this twice. Get a price for the whole HVAC assembly from the dealer. Nissan calls it the "Heater and Cooling Unit Assembly" and read the FSM thoroughly ahead of time to know what you are getting yourself into. Not sure the book time on the Xterra, but most of the ones I've done run 7-10 hrs flat rate which means for a DIY guy at home about 15 hrs. Plan on 2 days, one to get it apart, and the next to reassemble it. That's why it's best to just buy the assembly because just taking it apart to check, you'll be screwed if it takes a week to order the parts once assembled, or taking 4 days to put it back together than back apart after the parts come etc.

I've posted the FSM here a bunch of times.

Link to FSM: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Xterra/

The fwd.pdf is the table of contents.
The MTC.pdf is the HVAC stuff. Page 84 is a good starting point.

If all else fails, C3POs post above is your Plan "B"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.