Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Agreed with Tlrtucker. Good advice. Rinella is a good resource too for online videos.
With more experience you'll need less tools, the important thing is to try it yourself. I can't imagine paying someone to butcher my animal, even if I know they'll do a better job.

...With more experience you'll need less tools...
This is so true. My first couple of seasons I brought the kitchen sink - filled the 8ft bet of my F250 with everything and anything I might need. These days, I just bring my Havalon knife, spare blade refills, my leatherman, game bags and a couple XL coolers. That's pretty much it, other than clothes, 2 rifles and ammo and food. There's a shed on the property we hunt where we store a homemade gantry to hang the animals, but if we're too far away we'll just quarter it in the field on the ground - MUCH easier with two of us, but if I'm solo I'll gut it and bring it back to the shed. We hunt on private land so we have the luxury of being able to drive a truck right up to the animal after we knock it down. If you're backpacking for miles, it's a different game.

We all start somewhere. I was fortunate enough to have a good friend who's family has hunted for generations that showed me the ropes.

I can't recommend anything and everything Steve Rinella does enough. He's an excellent and ethical hunter, as well as a very excellent chef. He has a podcast and tv show, both called Meateater, as well as a tone of videos on youtube. Remi Warren is another guy to follow. Those guys are studs and true hunters. They both take the time (especially Rinella) to not just show you cool hunts, but every aspect of the hunt, from gear to tracking to shooting, etc.

The crap you see on most TV shows is garbage, and usually fenced in animals that are adapted to humans.

For field dressing (gutting), watch this:

Sorry if that's too squeamish for some folks, but deal with it. Meat doesn't magically show up in the grocery store.
I watched that exact video twice yesterday. Really enjoyed how accurate and clean he did it. I have understanding of anatomy and it helped. Detailed explanation of fast cooling and spoilage prevention is huge.

Last year we visited Weatherby factory in Sheridan WY where it recently moved from CA. I remember looking at Meateater shotgun.

Squamish is not my issue. I worked when I was deeply young 🙄 as anesthesiological nurce and saw some disturbing things. My threshold is throat surgeries. Everything else is fine. Particularly knowing where food comes from.

This is so true. My first couple of seasons I brought the kitchen sink - filled the 8ft bet of my F250 with everything and anything I might need. These days, I just bring my Havalon knife, spare blade refills, my leatherman, game bags and a couple XL coolers. That's pretty much it, other than clothes, 2 rifles and ammo and food. There's a shed on the property we hunt where we store a homemade gantry to hang the animals, but if we're too far away we'll just quarter it in the field on the ground - MUCH easier with two of us, but if I'm solo I'll gut it and bring it back to the shed. We hunt on private land so we have the luxury of being able to drive a truck right up to the animal after we knock it down. If you're backpacking for miles, it's a different game.
Man, sounds like you have it made... Want to host me next year? :ROFLMAO:
I'm hoping to be able to go out again and get something before the season closure.

Man, sounds like you have it made... Want to host me next year? :ROFLMAO:
I'm hoping to be able to go out again and get something before the season closure.
haha, I'm very fortunate to be good friends with a guy that knows the property owner - we go up every spring and spend a week fixing fences and basically being ranch hands in trade for hunting privileges. Hunting public lands is a different game all together, but I have had luck. Luck is a huge factor - you can know all of the terrain features, migration patterns, weather patterns, hell we even plan around moon cycles when possible, but it all comes down to if the darned critters are there.

The last 3 years of antelope season have been spoiled due to 3-5 day cold spells. Every time, the days leading up to the hunt have been hot and sunny, perfect for lopers, but the 3 days we were out there it was in the 30's and foggy. Then hot and sunny for a month after.

Then last year, wildfires cancelled two different seasons, and when we were finally able to get in there all of the animals had cleared out. Just bad luck.

I watched that exact video twice yesterday. Really enjoyed how accurate and clean he did it. I have understanding of anatomy and it helped. Detailed explanation of fast cooling and spoilage prevention is huge.
There are gutless methods to breaking down an animal too, but in my experience it's almost more of a hassle. And there's a much higher chance of messing up the tenderloins. The times I've tried it ends up being a mess.

Almost, тысяча благодарностей 😎
I am not Swedish.
"Tusind Tak" is Danish. We say "Tak for mad" / "Velbekomme" after dinner. My stepmom is Danish.

Reactions: 4EPHOMOPKA
Almost, тысяча благодарностей 😎
I am not Swedish.
Russian! I did not know that. Cool.

Norwegian here. But I believe the expression is popular across all the Old Norse nations.

@HawaiianXterra: that small collection of expressions will set up visitors to Scandinavia quite nicely!

Reactions: 4EPHOMOPKA
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.