Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Have you confirmed if all 4 LCA bolts spin freely, aka aren’t seized? If not I highly suggest doing so and having replacement LCAs ready for the side(s) where the bolts are seized.
Thank you! I will definitely check this.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Got the molle panels all sanded, painted, and installed. I think they turned out pretty well. Now there is no way in hell I'll lose any of those little things, like sunscreen, work gloves, flashlights, extra batteries, none of that.

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
145 Posts
Did you get in on the AXE group buy for the bumpers? I was so close, but its just a bit too advanced for me to try.

edit: Whoa, I missed the molle panel update! Are you friends with a Mat Tech?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
That side ladder is pretty sexy! And I really like that od green wrap on the vehicle. What can I say? I guess I'm institutionalized.

Actually my friend with the CnC machine is just another gravel tech like me. He runs a side business out of his garage making custom fire pits, steel emblems and logos, stuff like that. I bought the aluminum sheets and he did the cutting in exchange for beers.

TBH, I didn't know about the group buy, so thank you very much for that info! I wanted clarification on a couple of things and e-mailed Coastal Offroad to get some clarification before I made payment. Specifically, I want the wrap around rear bumper but I want to keep the footwells that the stock plastic fenders have. He e-mailed me back yesterday to say that those would be no worries, just a very small extra fee. I went to make the e-mail transfer and I noticed that the confirmatory e-mail final price was lower by about 1/3 than what I should be paying. Something was obviously missing from the order.

Then I see your message, and thought I'll just make a completely new order today. Thankfully the discount code still worked. With an order this big, 10% total and 15% on shipping is something I don't want to miss out on, so thanks again!

I think the side ladder is pretty groovy, but I have specific plans for the rear ladder. I want to make a bracket to hold my chain saw case back there. I have discovered a magic trick that prevents deadfall on any trail I ever go on. It's pretty fool proof. I just bring a chain saw that is fully fuelled, chain tightened, oiled, and otherwise ready to go in every sense. Presto! No deadfall anywhere. But there is a trick to it. If I forget chain oil, or don't have the chain tightened, then the forest will sense this and push down all kinds of crap across my trail. If I leave the chainsaw at home altogether, it will look like a bloody hurricane came through there. So a side ladder won't really work for what I have in mind.

I also ordered the window shields from Weathertech and I'm checking to see who has stock on a snorkel. My claim from JRTC was bigger than I expected, so I'll be able to afford those sooner rather than later. Some friends of mine are planning a trip to Ruby Falls in June, so I'm really hoping I can get Huginn finished in time to participate. I know they aren't show stoppers, but I would really like to have a rear ladder, snorkel, and winch in time for that.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Thanks!

I absolutely love the seat covers. They fit so nicely they are like reupholstering, and I find they actually made the seats more comfortable. I paid $467.67 CDN for them, but I believe the price has gone down since then. The vendor is a firm called ShearComfort. You can find them at: ShearComfort Seat Covers Ltd. | Exact Fit Guaranteed

The headlights are made by Spec-D. They are only the housings and projectors. You have to provide your own bulbs. They are intended for the stock halogens with the halos and smaller LED's wired in separately, but I replaced the halogens with Beamtech LEDs. It worked great for the low beams, but I don't recommend doing it for the high beams. Like all projectors made for halogen bulbs, they scatter the light from the LEDs across such a broad plane as to be useless. I did an experiment comparing them to my stock lights for another thread somewhere on this forum when I got them. I'm going to fart around with them a little bit more now that it's warmer and easier to work on the vehicle, but I expect I will probably change the high beams back to halogen when I do the suspension mods this May.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I have not liked the seats on my 2007 and even less on 2015 (2015 was too soft). 425k between the 2 but a lot more sitting (hundreds of hours) besides those miles.

covers tend to lift you but I have not seen a worthy cover (other than leather) to pursue, but these look like worth for me to pursue?

I just had the seat foam changed in my 2015 after 148k, it’s better but not super comfortable, it’s the left bucket edge I find harsh. Too much of a bucket feel with an edge I feel.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I know that seat feel is pretty subjective, so my lone recommendation probably isn't of much value to you. But FWIW, I'm perfectly pleased with mine and would buy them again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Here are the specific details on the Spec-D's if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I appreciate both inputs! On seat and headlights.

Mine was a thinking out loud question, I meant to say I am really interested in trying out those seat covers one day 😀 it will be my first choice to try. So far I only was curious about leather seat replacements, and leather in the desert is not my first choice, need sheep skin covers, etc,

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I did some shopping around for a ladder for my hatch door and a snorkel. The ladder was fairly straightforward. I only found two places that carry them, 4x4Parts AC and Gobi themselves. Gobi is out of stock, but AC is not, and as I saw from a couple other members of this forum, AC carries the authentic Gobi ladder for $75 USD less.

The snorkel was a more difficult search. I checked with five different vendors, one of which did not get back to me and the other four didn't have stock. In the process, I found out that AC is the US distributor for Airflow snorkels so they will get stock before anyone else does. I'm going to pay $114 USD in shipping alone (yikes!), which is why I try and avoid cross border purchases, but since they are the only game in town, there isn't much I can do about that. I also bought new gas struts for the hatch from Gemini Gas Springs as well.

I'm hoping to install all these mods in late May, so it's a toss up for getting these parts here on time. I hope they do, but they aren't as important as something like struts or coilovers so if they don't arrive in time it's not the end of the world. Money is moving out of my Huginn fund at a pretty fast clip! I hope I have enough left over after the bumpers are fabbed up to get a winch, but we'll have to wait and see on that.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
leather in the desert is not my first choice, need sheep skin covers, etc,
I hadn't thought about that. I used to focus on how easy leather is for cleaning up spills, because it generally doesn't get crazy hot up here. But now that you mention it, leather seats in the desert could necessitate skin grafts.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Spent the last couple days helping Jeep Girl change out a fuel injector on her JK. No sooner did we get the one swapped out before the #3 cylinder crapped out as well, so had to tear everything apart all over again. The experiences she has had with that vehicle is probably the number one reason I decided not to buy a jeep. The high cost was also a factor, but it seems those vehicles are always breaking down.

I was watching a video on youtube from Second Hand Overland about adventures in getting an older Land Rover repaired and trail ready. It occurred to me that in many ways, Jeep is the American version of Land Rover. Both are iconic brands. Both are incredibly capable off road. Both are readily serviced by the DIY home mechanic, but also have a tendency to break down. And both have an incredibly dedicated following that accepts those mechanical breakdowns as a cost of doing business. In spite of the difficulties her vehicle causes her, Jeep Girl loves that ride like no other automobile and would not even think of driving anything else. As for me, I'll be staying with the Nissan.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
For my ride, I was able to get some more work done on my interior gear loft. I've seen the nets made by Raingler, and while I really liked them, I can't really justify the cost. Secondly, whatever vehicle I've gone into the backwoods in, the back seats have always been laid flat for cargo space. I want a gear loft that will cover that additional area, and not just the back. Since the pros don't make one, and I'm not comfortable with their prices for what they do make, I've decided to try making my own.

I've got the basic net made. Now I'm just waiting for the buckles to arrive on Amazon before I can sew in the retaining straps. They've been delayed in transit for some unknown reason, so hopefully they arrive soon.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
The gear loft is almost finished. The only left to do on it is attach some D rings to a piece of reinforcing nylon sewn laterally across the middle where the rear seats fold down. I am going to put a generic cargo net there to stop items in the back from crashing forward in the event I come to a sudden stop. I have to wait for that until I get a cargo net.

There are a few things I would do differently if I were to do it again, but on the whole I am happy with how it turned out. It will be a good place to stash things like extra blankets, pillows, and clothing.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
And the bumpers should be arriving tomorrow. Then it's off to a welder. I have to say, finding a welder who can do TIG has been a lot harder than I thought it would be. In Alberta, you can find a MIG or stick welder behind every tree. They are common like baristas is San Francisco, but someone who can weld aluminum appears to be a horse of a different colour. I still have a few irons in the fire, but it's proving to be a lot harder than I thought it would be.

Our first trip of the year is 06 June, so I'm really hoping I can get all the modifications installed in time for that. I would really like to include a winch with that, but that assumes the bumpers are done and I can learn enough about wiring and switches by then. It's by no means a done deal.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Getting the rig ready for June 6th is looking like a forlorn hope now. Geoff the Wrench went off and had a son, so now he's busier than a one armed wallpaper hanger. He won't be available to help with the suspension upgrades until mid-June at the earliest. I could try them myself. There are several videos online that I have found detailing how to replace the coilovers and UCA's, and how to remove and reinstall the leaf packs and rear shocks, and there are tutorials on this forum. I'm just a little nervous about it because I've never attempted anything like that quite before and if I screw it up, the truck isn't drivable. It will depend on when I can get the bumpers welded up and painted I guess. If I get those done in the next couple of weeks, and they are just sitting there in the garage looking at me, I'll be more tempted to try the suspension lift by myself.

In the meantime, the new gas springs arrived from Gemini, so I got those installed. It was pretty easy, a 30 second job really. Now I'll be able to mount the rear ladder and not worry about the hatch sagging down.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
The only problem is that the hatch sits really high now. If I ever want a 270 degree awning, this could cause a bit of a problem, especially with a ladder mounted onto the hatch. Maybe I could rig a anchor line to the handle inside the hatch or something when I want to limit the height it can travel. I'll cross that bridge when I get to the river.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts