Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
My VIAS valve has been rattling for about a year now and has always driven me mad, but I wasn't crazy about the epoxy fix listed elsewhere on here. Today, I came up with what I believe to be a cheap and easy fix for the problem. If there is any reason why this should not be done, please feel free to let me know. Since doing this, I have driven about 50 miles without any changes in performance.

The outside of the valve has a plastic fin whose movement is restricted by two other plastic fins that are rigid to the intake plenum.

It can be seen in the middle of the picture here.

I have noticed that when you pull that fin to the left (turn it counter clockwise) the rattle stops.

What I did to solve the issue is drill a hole through the fin, being careful not to drill through the other plenum fin that it rests against. I then used one of the coarse threaded screws from the mud-flaps and threaded it into the hole just enough to where the point of the screw will touch the rigid plenum fin and start to raise the valve fin off of it.

This completely stopped the rattle, and still allows the valve to work (mostly) as it should.

Here is a video demonstrating how the screw stops the rattle:

There are other ways you could probably go about this, such as epoxying something to space the valve fin off of the plenum fin. I'll be 100% honest in the fact that I accidentally drilled though the other fin, so the screw likes to stick. I'll probably just glue a folded up piece of aluminum foil between them. Either way, it seems to work.

Hope this helps anyone with this issue!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow, that's awesome! I promise this is not because I don't trust you Fresh Prince, but has anyone else tried this with success? Just want to make sure you just didn't get lucky and someone else gets the same result haha.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, that's awesome! I promise this is not because I don't trust you Fresh Prince, but has anyone else tried this with success? Just want to make sure you just didn't get lucky and someone else gets the same result haha.
I am curious too! This could be specific to my intake for all I know.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
this method looks to be a lot easier, cheaper and non permanent.
Why would you want a non permanent fix? Temporary repairs are meant to be just that, temporary, until you can do the permanent fix which is outlined in the TSB. most of the time easier and cheaper translates to half assed. (not bashing the OP's fix, just in generality)

·
Registered
324 Posts
just because it is non permanent dosent mean it would not work or not last just as epoxy dosent always last either espically when there is any vibration involved. The screw method looks to be an easy fix for someone not comfortable with pulling the vias and applying epoxy.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The question is.....

Does this have the same mechanical effect as gluing the valve? ie, are you preventing the same valve movement, etc.. ??

If so, I see no issue with this. Slightly more rigged? Maybe. But if it works....

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The question is.....

Does this have the same mechanical effect as gluing the valve? ie, are you preventing the same valve movement, etc.. ??

If so, I see no issue with this. Slightly more rigged? Maybe. But if it works....
I can't really answer this question because I am not sure exactly why it works. My bet is that the valve was rattling against itself and spacing it the way I did eliminates that. I am not sure what the epoxy fix entitles, but the nice part about this is that the valve still has 95% of its movement.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm gonna wait until some others chime in.
I don't really know the detailed function of the valve, so I'm reluctant to modify it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
With the epoxy fix it secures the valve housing inside the manifold. The actual valve still retains 100% of its movement.
That's what I was thinking too.
I tend to subscribe to the "valves need to operate how they were designed unless I have a thorough understanding of them and their purpose" school of thought.

·
Registered
2014 Xterra Pro-4X
214 Posts
OK thread revival with a different question… In the video it looks like the valve at idle sits all the way to the right and moves counterclockwise as OP said when it opens. I have a 2014 and my valve sits all the way to the left and I can move it with my finger clockwise to the right. It feels firm and almost like it is on a spring pushing it back left.
Does anybody know what position this valve is in when functioning normally?
I wonder if my VIAS is stuck open…

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
965 Posts
Can a 2012 be susceptible to VIAS rattle? Or is this for early Gen II X's?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts