Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

How-to: Upgrade Your Rear Wiper to 14" or 16" - PBR

151K views 309 replies 161 participants last post by  Gingie 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I did some searching on here and didn't find anything on this.

Ever since I bought my Xterra, I didn't like how small the Rear Wiper was. It just doesn't seem to clear very much area to see out the back. After doing some searching through our parts inventory, I found out that the Murano Rear Wiper is a direct replacement but is 2" longer in length.

The part # for the Murano Rear Wiper is 28790-CB000.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Looks like it will be 1 inch on each side gain. Based on looking at the photo & seeing the center point. If I am looking & guessing it right?..

should work?. I am not near mine, to see what the distance on the top sweep is from edge. If that extra inch will hurt or not.

#9 ·
Yeah it should clear with no probs. It's and extra inch on either side. And if you look at that pic you have more than and inch.

But this is cool info. I am so doing this. The rear wipers on there now is way too small..

#10 ·
Is there a replacement that is 3" longer? That looks like it would be perfectomundo!

(Oh, Attention Volant, PRG, & Shrockworks. For the advertising shown on the previous picture, please "PM" me with details of how you would like to pay me, OK? That would be "Xorro" at "thenewX.org", the greatest X website in the world!)

#11 ·
Kool. I'm gonna p/u one tomorrow as the one I have now is shot. I still wish there was someway to put a winter blade on though. These blades are crap in the winter

#21 ·
Just for the record: Stock rear windshield wiper is 12” and the Murano rear wiper is 14” The 14” is easy to find compared to the 12” And that make for a lot more choices. Good find. I replaced the stock rear blade once already and it was a real pain to find, I ended up at the dealer. I thought at the time it might fit a larger blade but did not want to risk it and go through the pain to return it!

#23 ·
I wish there was a complete arm assembly that we could put on that would accept a winter blade. Ice gets stuck between the blade and the wiper arm all the time making it worthless. My wife's Versa has the same crappy design. And who is the DS at Nissan that didn't put heated mirrors on the X in the first place?

#26 ·
This is weird because I just got a new wiper blade from my dealer (part# 28790-EA000). I was just BSing w/ the parts guy and asked him how easy it was and he said "super easy, the Xterra takes 10 seconds to replace the blade...Now, the Murano I f*ing hate. Those are a royal PITA to replace the rear wiper blade." If the Murano blade fits ours then shouldn't it just remove/re-install like ours too? Oh well. It was only $7.50 for the Xterra 12" replacement. Maybe after the winter is over I will switch to the 14" Murano blade.

#28 ·
Was it Tony you talked too? (late 20's, brown hair, shaved head) I wouldn't trust the old guy (Steve, I think?) I just bought a new 12" too, and ordered a replacement brake pedal cover since I wore mine out. That old dude put the order under some Asian guy's name who doesn't even own an Xterra.

I may try the murano blade next. The Nissan blade works well enough, but I really would like something better because of how ****ty it gets in the winter. It often refuses to wipe the top of the window when its frozen, which is the part I need the most.

Can you put any 14" blade on there...will the connectors work. I almost ordered a 13" rain X blade, but I wasn't sure if it would fit.

#280 ·
Old thread... Resurrected!
I had an Audi with heater elements in the glass around the wiper blades when they were parked. The elements were thicker than usual, and produced more heat than usual. It worked wonders to have warm wiper blades.

Also, I had no idea about this thread/mod. Winter is coming in Western WA and I'm gonna need a new rear wiper blade.

#33 ·
Confirmed: It fits!

Well, I can't say if a winter-version 14" blade is available, but I can say that the std. 14" fits just fine. Mine is on now. :icon_smile:
The 14" Murano blade itself has an identical mount to our stock 12". It's the location of the Murano wiper arm that makes it a PITA to replace. Our arm just sits out in the open where it's easy to get to. On the Murano it's, well, NOT!
I got mine at Carquest. Advance Auto Parts had them too.
(I think my dealer had them also but their parts dept. closed at 1pm today & they never called me back to confirm if they had one...)