Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,
I'm going to walk you through the LED headlights and fog-lights that I installed on my Xterra. I've been running them for the last couple of years.

I'm sure I'll hear in the comments from you all on your thoughts on running LED headlights in stock housings. Overall, I would say I agree that the proper/best way to do it would be to do a full projector retrofit. However, that's big money or at least lots of time and combing the junkyard for the right vehicle to pull the projectors out of.

While I think that there are for sure some vehicles with lights that are ill-fitting and overly bright, these have worked really well for me while giving me a significantly brighter light than stock with a good light cut and a temperature that's not overwhelming for other drivers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
there definitelly are better options for heqdlights, as well as fog lights. the thing I don't particularily love about those auxbeam headlight bulbs is the led chip size/shape/placement. while the do vaguely follow 9007 bulb fillament layout, they are overly wide qnd short, as well as not exactly precise (there should be two very thin lines in paralel, with the upper one placed slightly forward. something like this:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there definitelly are better options for heqdlights, as well as fog lights. the thing I don't particularily love about those auxbeam headlight bulbs is the led chip size/shape/placement. while the do vaguely follow 9007 bulb fillament layout, they are overly wide qnd short, as well as not exactly precise (there should be two very thin lines in paralel, with the upper one placed slightly forward. something like this:

Huh, interesting. There are definitely a million options for these things. The reason I like the Auxbeams is simply because I've had them for about 4 years and done water crossings, tons of offroading, and they've been super solid.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Agree that the LED headlamp results are impressive; the cut-off line on low-beam is relatively clean, despite the reflector housing.

50 watt, 5,000 lumens. 25 watts, 2,500 lumens each bulb. There are significantly more powerful, brighter LED bulb replacements now available on the market.

Reactions: fletch350z

·
Registered
565 Posts
@nihontoman, Do you have a link to the LED bulbs with that style of LED chip placement?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm running these higher powered versions:

here are before after shots I made, as well as some impressions:

there are even more powerful 20000 lm ones.

also, you could consider katana and hikari ultra/hikari 2020 leds too. all of those give a very good light beam patter.

·
Registered
2010 Xterra S
31 Posts
Went with the same headlight/fog brands used in OP's video and I'm pleased with the results but the retention collar modification worries me as the "bulbs" feel much less secure now (had to cut out one of the three retainer clips on said collar).

I'm considering getting a new set of collars and looking for some 100% plug and play alternatives for the headlights (if that exists for this power level without compromising longevity). Anyone know of any or is this a standard modification required for LED upgrades? I'd have to imagine there's a heatsink design that's more compact, the NINEO's look much thinner.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just installed the KATANA led headlights that Calorim listed above. These are a big hit on the Frontier forum, that's where I found them. I hate the crap Xterra headlights but held off upgrading because I despise the D bags that put 10,000,000,000 lumen HIDs in a standard housing like ours and blind the hell out of everyone. I was very surprised that the KATANA using its offset double line of LEDs gives a light pattern very very similar to the OEM bulbs in Xterra. Very nice cut off.

The KATANAs were easy to install with no cutting of the retaining ring. The retaining ring is too small to fit over the fan/heat sink on the back of the bulb. So, you slide the bulbs collar forward, over and off the front of the bulb, then slide the OEM white round retaining collar over the front of the bulb and push it as far back as you can, then slide the bulbs collar back into place. From there, just push the blub into the back of the housing like normal and push the OEM white round locking collar towards the front of the truck and turn it clockwise to lock in place just like with a normal bulb.

The important thing to do is.....When you install them, make sure the power wire is pointing DOWN. This will orient the led strips where the one that is further forward is on TOP. IF you do not do this, then your high beams and low beams will be reversed.

Observation.....I just installed them and did a short drive. Thankfully they are not lowered Honda Civic blue. Barely barely barely a little bluer than I would prefer but just barely. I need to re-aim them because they are too low. They are definitely brighter than my Xtreme Visions but not nearly as bright as the HID's in my wifes BMW. Her BMW HIDs are shocking. I will not know if they are bright enough for me until I get them properly aimed and go on a dark road.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just installed the KATANA led headlights that Calorim listed above. These are a big hit on the Frontier forum, that's where I found them. I hate the crap Xterra headlights but held off upgrading because I despise the D bags that put 10,000,000,000 lumen HIDs in a standard housing like ours and blind the hell out of everyone. I was very surprised that the KATANA using its offset double line of LEDs gives a light pattern very very similar to the OEM bulbs in Xterra. Very nice cut off.

The KATANAs were easy to install with no cutting of the retaining ring. The retaining ring is too small to fit over the fan/heat sink on the back of the bulb. So, you slide the bulbs collar forward, over and off the front of the bulb, then slide the OEM white round retaining collar over the front of the bulb and push it as far back as you can, then slide the bulbs collar back into place. From there, just push the blub into the back of the housing like normal and push the OEM white round locking collar towards the front of the truck and turn it clockwise to lock in place just like with a normal bulb.

The important thing to do is.....When you install them, make sure the power wire is pointing DOWN. This will orient the led strips where the one that is further forward is on TOP. IF you do not do this, then your high beams and low beams will be reversed.

Observation.....I just installed them and did a short drive. Thankfully they are not lowered Honda Civic blue. Barely barely barely a little bluer than I would prefer but just barely. I need to re-aim them because they are too low. They are definitely brighter than my Xtreme Visions but not nearly as bright as the HID's in my wifes BMW. Her BMW HIDs are shocking. I will not know if they are bright enough for me until I get them properly aimed and go on a dark road.
if you want brighter, go with the newer nineo lighfs (16000 or 20000 lm versions). those are brighter, or as bright as any other car you'll see around

·
Registered
145 Posts
if you want brighter, go with the newer nineo lighfs (16000 or 20000 lm versions). those are brighter, or as bright as any other car you'll see around
Thank you for the heads up on that. Do you mind sharing how they are to install? Any cutting involved? Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thank you for the heads up on that. Do you mind sharing how they are to install? Any cutting involved? Thanks.
they are installed the same way, but they need a little bit of cutting on the white oem collars for the wire to clearance properly (you could technically get away without cutting, but the wire will be too squished between the collar and the cooling element for your peace of mind :D )

one thing to note though - due to slightly thicker led chips (very slightly) the high beams will be slighlty higher than regular bulbs. nothing drastic though - highs do function properly and not just iluminate the skies:

stock hallogen

16000 lm Nineos

·
Registered
565 Posts
Fog lights. Are LED fog lights really necessary or a frankly, a good idea?

I ask because if the fog lights are too bright they will reflect off rain and snow back at the driver.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Fog lights. Are LED fog lights really necessary or a frankly, a good idea?

I ask because if the fog lights are too bright they will reflect off rain and snow back at the driver.
I guess, if they are a lower temperature light, the brighter the better

1 - 16 of 16 Posts