Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
on line
16,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Ok.... Many people cannot find this little How-to I did a while back... And I suppose that was my fault for never making it's own official thread.... Well now there is a thread for it... So no more excuses for not knowing how to flush your own trans... If I see another person asking if there is an ATF Flush how-to... I'm going to get cranky... :geek:

This is really, really easy and can save you a lot of cash. You could honestly prob do it in 30 min or less with a little practice.... So check it out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First.... The Bypass if you are interested in not having a cooked Tranny.... The mod is super easy... It's just a switch of two hoses.

You just switch this one:

With this one (down connected to the passenger side bottom of the Radiator..... In this pic it is bottom right.):

If this is confusing refer to the OP (Post#1) of the No More Transmission Eating Thread. Logisense spells it out clear as day.

Also, JOSX2 was kind enough to make a thread dedicated to the 'Bypass-For-Dummies' :). Its well laid out and very easy to follow: That can be found URL="http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30289"]here[/URL]

So now to flush the Trans... This is the stuff u want or something compatible with Nissan Matic-S (got it from Brian at Cherry Hill Nissan for cheap).... I know people have used Amsoil ATF with success, but I don't mess around with my Trans... Or my Warranty... So you can be DAMN sure I personally used Matic-S... Everything ELSE in my Rig is Amsoil. In the end use whatever you want as long as it is compliant. I got 12 quarts of it from Brian at Cherry Hill Nissan for a very, very good price... I suggest you give him a ring :)

Now I went one step further and flushed the fluid...

First I loosened up the bolt on the bottom of the Transmission Pan:

And then I let it drain out:

Notice that crap is brown and filthy looking... It NEEDED to be changed cause it was all burnt up :D

And got it all over myself.... Cause I'm special like that:

I then put the bolt back.... Torqued down to spec (25ft-lbs) filled it up through the Dipstick Fill Tube in the Engine Compartment with 4 or 5 Quarts of Matic-S. You will need a 10mm Socket to get the cap off the Tranny Tube.

So Then I took the hose off the Supply Tranny Line and hooked a longer hose up to it.

And then stuck it into a Bucket... So it didn't go all over the place.

I had a buddy of mine let the truck run for a bit until the fluid came out red like the sh!t I was putting into it. I then put the remaining 6-7 Quarts back in through the Dipstick Tube using a Funnel... Checked the fluid level... And ran it through all the Gears with the truck off. I then ran it for a few min with the truck and the Trans Pump on and checked the levels again to make sure everything was good. After this fun, I drove it down and got some more beer cause I ran out doing all this and needed to restock. Running smooth as heck! Hope this helps everyone with their PMF fears. Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to hit me with a PM, call, text, whatever. :) :cheers:

-Rook
NJ Station Wagon Pilot

·
Registered
81 Posts
I did the bypass last night. Took all of 10 minutes. I drained the small amount of fluid that dripped out of the lines into a plastic water bottle. When I looked at the fluid in the bottle it was definitely not as red as the fluid draining in your picture and it wasn't transparent either. It was more like a redish/brown and was cloudy. The cloudiness was really only noticeable in the fluid in the bottle, the fluid that leaked on the cardboard on ground looked clear but still looked brownish red. Would you be concerned that the fluid is contaminated with antifreeze?

·
on line
7,142 Posts
no, if it was milky i be concerned.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Rook,
When you were draining the fluid with the engine on did you need to shift to reverse, forward etc... to get all of the fluid out? Also, weren't you concerned that the fluid might run dry as you were draining it? I think I read in another post that they had someone pouring fluid in as they watched the other fluid draining but that would require 3 people (one in car, one watching & one pouring). Am I exaggerating the importance of this or would it not be that big of a deal if ran dry for a second and then you shut the engine? I stopped at Somerset Nissan today at lunch and bought a case of the Matic S and plan to do this tonight right after work.

·
on line
16,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the only thing you would hurt if the fluid ran dry is the trans fluid pump...and only if you ran it long enough without fluid to let it overheat. Still you will not run it dry if you let it run until you see the red coming out of the hose look like the red you put into the trans after you first drain (by unbolting the trans pan bolt and letting 5 qts. come out). If you are that concerned with running it dry. turn it on and run it for a few seconds...then fill it up a little. do this a few times and eventually you will see the fluid coming out get redder and redder. This will ensure you dont run it dry. I ran it through the gears before I drove it after I did the flush. You can also run it through the gears while you are filling it..but honestly....I did not find it necessary. I have had no issues with my trans for over 12k since this flush.

just my .02...

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Hope Rook doesn't mind if I add my tip on using free 5 gal veggie oil jugs from fast food joints.... (Rook, if you dont want this here, let me know and I'll delete.)

Hey guys. I just wanted to let you all know that I did the simple tranny bypass a few weeks ago, no problems whatsoever. Trany comes up to temp and shifts just fine. I also flushed my tranny fluid with 12 qts of genuine nissan type-s. I won the case of trans fluid for $54 with free shiping on eBay! :cheers: (my local dealer wants $13.80/qt)

Just a tip for those who flush, I dont like messes, so what I always do is go to a fast food place (McDonalds, Dairy Queen, BK etc...) and ask for their used 5 gallon veggie oil cans. They always give me a couple for free. They are great for tranny flushes and to put your used motor oil in to bring to recycling etc... I also used some leftover clear hose from my rear diff breather mod so that I could easily monitor the fluid coming out. I added the Trans fluid through the dipstick tube, while my gf sat in the X and went through the gears and worked the key.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Surf n Snow,
It looks like you are draining from a different tube than Rook. Can you explain which one you're using and why you think that may be a better way to do it?

Thanks,
Mike

·
on line
16,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
surf and snows way is prob a bit easier in terms of not worrying about mess. I didn't have any veggie oil containters on hand...but from now on I will prob use this method. he also used a clear hose to see the color of the fluid easier which I also like. I didn't have this either. Finally it appears (and i could be wrong) he used the line at the exit of the OEM tranny cooler...which would work perfectly too....that just gets the fluid out of the tranny cooler which is honestly prob a little bit better than my way as well. you can break the fluid at many points in the loop. I just chose to break it at the supply line (shown in my pics). They all get the job done.... In the end use what you have. those two items make everything easier. Otherwise..he and I pretty much did the same thing.

and Jay no I do not mind you posting that. that's great. i'd like to collect all the how-to info here in one central place for people to find easier than in the middle of those giant and verbose threads.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
I just did it at the tranny cooler exit so i could watch the color change easier, but it makes no difference if you do it there or below. As long as you are somewhere in the loop after the cooler, it works exactly the same so if you are doing the bypass at the same time, it may be easier to just do it right there from below. However if you are already by-passed and have a big honking radiator skid in the way, than a few plastic pop rivets while standing up allows easier access than several bolts while lying on your back, and the grill is much lighter than my NXRocks skid plate. ;) PotAtoes/PatOtoes. I just happened to have extra clear hose lying around from when I bought a bunch from Ace Hardware for my diff breather extension (it was only $0.19/ft.). I like to use clear hose so I can watch it go from dark to light to monitor progress. The 5 gal jugs help keep my garage clean, and also exactly half the jug is exactly = to 12Qts so it helps me keep a running measurement. ( It would suck to pump out 15 qts if you only have 12 in your garage to put back in) Plus, they are free and easy to get almost anywhere and made for oil so its a no-brainer for me.

Thanks Rook all your handy photos on the bypass and for steping up to make one single thread a "How to" and away from all the "Should I?" stuff. ;)

·
on line
16,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
great idea with the oil jugs Jay. I am def doing that from now on. Picked some up today for McDonalds :).

Yeah it was getting a little out of control. No-one could find the howtos. I Figure If anyone has anything to add about the flush they can put it in here.

Anyone remember what size bolt holds that dipstick cap on? I can't remember for the life of me and I do not feel like going out and checking...I'd like to update the OP..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Definitely 10mm, I did it last night. I used Rook's method as I still have the plate off from doing the bypass the prior night. If I were to do it again I would use the fast-food container; the transmission fluid came out a lot more quickly than I thought it would and splashed out of the typical oil pan I used. I would also use a clear hose as it wasn't easy for me to tell when the color of the draining fluid changed from brownish red to the new fluid's straight red. I would also make sure you have a bright light there to make monitoring the fluid color easier. One thing I did notice was that when I had my friend change from park to reverse and park to drive, more fluid came out at that time so maybe it's a good idea to do that? When I put the hose back on the supply line I added another hose clamp as I didn't trust the stock spring clamp alone. When I just had the spring clamp on the hose felt loose. It didn't leak so I'm not sure if the additional, screw type clamp was necessary but now the hose doesn't move at all with it so I figured it can't hurt by adding it.

Thanks for posting all of this info!

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Yes the fluid comes out fast and with quite a bit of pressure and will easily become messy in a small oil drain pan, again thats why I use the fast food fry oil jugs. From beging to end of my flush, not one single drop of ATF touched my garage floor. Im sort of a clean freak in my work, both with my garage, and with my mods themselves.

Also, to flush properly you NEED to have your assistant shift the tranny through each gear as you flush. Doing that allows each fluid path to be utilized and receive new fluid/expell old fluid. If someone only flushes in just park or just drive etc... they will not be able to flush all old fluid out, some will remain in the tranny.

Congrats flushing you tranny out yourself. :eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
421 Posts
So im worried about getting the amount right, I feel like I need to measure everything and match what I take out. Im gonna get a couple of gallon water jugs. and measure by gallon... I think. ;)

1 - 20 of 195 Posts