Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Well I think one of my how-to's on this got lost, so i decided to do another one.

What you need.
1. VHT nightshades (or equivilant spray tint)
2. 2000-2500 grit sand paper
3. Bucket of water and sponge
4. Terry towl or other soft towl
5. Masking tape/ painters tape.... heck even duckt tape might work
6. Some sort of clear topcoat spray
7. Polish compound (ONLY use POLISHING compound... not any equivilant)

Okay here it goes....

Tape off the lights on the parts that you dont want to spray. Then useing the sponge lightly wet the lights. After that take the sandpaper and sand them untill you see a milky colored fluid on the lights. Use the terry towl and wipe them down... they should now look foggy.

Now take the spray tint and spray an EXTREMELY small coat of tint on them (trust me doing small coats makes it come out much better). I suggest only doing one light at a time so you can see how much darker you are actually making them.

Let it dry for about three to five minutes... then repeat. I suggest doing no more than four or five light coats.... (the ones that i did have seven light coats and they are wayyy to dark)

Now after you have coated them with the amount of tint you want, let them sit in a cool dry place for about 24 hours.

Now take them and wet sand them again useing the same process as above. Dry them and make sure they are clear of any debris. Now take the clear coat spray and spray them using light coats. Let dry for about three to four minutes in between applications. I suggest doing two or three coats. Let dry overnight again.

Now you can get them ready for wet sanding again. Wet sand them as you have done previously, then dry them with a terry towl. Now take a clean towl and soft applicator and put a small amount of polish on them. Rub the polish in an let sit for about ten minutes. After than you can take another clean towl and wipe the polish off. Repeat.

Now you shoud have a nice and shiny new tailight that is tinted.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since these are too dark i decided to do my factory ones....

I havent finished them yet... I have only used the tint spray (havent clearcoated them or polished them yet)

This is four very light coats of the VHT

·
on line
1,574 Posts
great write up, i was thinking about doing this, but isnt this illeage? not that i care, i was just wondering...
i thought it had to do something with the reflectors..
but im pretty sure no cop would check/care...

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, you need to have reflectors in the rear! which is why i have reflector tape on my truck. But it is still illegal to have tinted rear lights (I think).... but like you said "who cares?"

·
on line
3,592 Posts
those looks sweet on the Black X. Great way to display them too.

Any one tint the inside Dome lights. They are Dang bright at night time.. Hard to drive.. I am thinking of least yanking Drivers side map light & getting some Green tape OR Plactic boat green plastic.. Need to dim the shine. Either in deep Green, Or Red tape, for that romatic glow!!.. :)

·
on line
874 Posts
its not black its dark blue like mine!

·
on line
1,206 Posts
Looks good man! What did you do with those other tails?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I havent decided what I want to do with the tail lights... Im pretty sure that Im going to be putting on the redish ones, because for me the black ones are just too damn dark. I dont know if I want to sell them or not.

As for which came first... the chick definitly came first!!!! LOL

·
on line
316 Posts
Hey sex, did you get the niteshades online? I really don't wanna sit here and wait 5-7 days for ground shipping to take its lazy ass time getting me one can of it. I ran out of this stuff when I finished my Trans Am 3rd brake light and side markers.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
just search on ebay. there are (were) dozens of venders that sold thats style.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts