Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 614 Posts

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Ok, so after a few requests and my own desire to give back to this community of modding Xterra owners, I have created this "How-to" for Stealthing or blacking out your Stock Silver Rims.

This was my first "How-to" I have ever done.

STEP 1 WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

Medium & Fine Grit Sandpaper
Small Sanding Block
Can of Acetone Cleaner
2-3 Cans of Dupli-Color Bedliner
Painters Tape or Masking Tape
Flathead Screwdriver
Newspaper
A Floor Jack
Jack Stands

STEP 2 SAFETY FIRST:

Support the X with the Jack Stands after you jack it up to assure that b!tch won't fall!

STEP 3 GET TO THE SANDING:

Start by cleaning off the Rims with the Acetone to remove, Dirt, Dust and Grease. Now, flip the wheel over and use a Flathead Screwdriver to pop out the Hamburger Plate that holds the Nissan Emblem. It may be a little stuck, so use some downward pressure to push it out the front of the Wheel. Now separate the Emblem from the Plate.

Next, use the Medium Grit Sandpaper to Sand every inch of the Rim to a nice scuffed and rough finish. It is not necessary to use a Power Sander or Dremel Tools, but it may save time if you're lazy. I did it by hand and it doesn't take too long. Once the Rim is all sanded, use the Fine Grit Sandpaper to go back over the Rim and smooth it out.

Now, blow off the Dust and clean the Rim one last time with Acetone to assure a nice clean surface for Paint.

STEP 4 TAPE THEM OFF:

Use the Painter's or Masking Tape to tape off every part of the tire so you don't get Bedliner on it. If you get it on the tire, it looks like sh!t and it impossible to get off. Be very methodical about taping. The more time you take the safer you are. Newspaper works very well and is free, so use it all you want. Also, tape off those Valve Stems, you got to protect them too.

STEP 5 NO TURNING BACK:

OK, game time. Place the Wheels together and maybe use a Drop Cloth underneath them to protect your Driveway or Garage Floor. Shake the can for a minute before you start to spray.

Evenly spray each Rim with the Bedliner, about 4-6 inches from surface in a sweeping motion. Once each Rim is coated, wait 5-10 minutes between coats. Apply 4 coats to ensure quality coverage.

STEP 6 LET THEM DRY OVERNIGHT:

Don't touch 'em! Resist the urge to the take off the Tape and slap them back on. Let them dry Overnight or at least 5 Hours and go to Bed or the Bar.

STEP 7 NOW ENJOY THIS KICK ASS MOD:

Remove the Tape and stand in awe of your accomplishment. Put the Wheels back on your truck and go laugh at anyone you know who spent $$$ to buy new Rims, when you just spent under $50 and have a kick ass looking truck!

OK, that's it! Hope this helps and separates you from the rest of the pack. I can't stop staring at my truck now and it's much more "Stealthier" at Night!

So, I keep hearing this question, "What is better - Bedliner or Plas-dip?". My answer is Bedliner. Bedliner is easier to apply and won't gouge or peel off like Plas-dip will.

Also, here is a link to the different color combinations that thenewX.org members came up with.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/69-brakes-tires-wheels/7020-stealth-color-combinations.html

Rock On!

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guess I'll learn that the hard way! I sure hope that's not the case. I can't imagine they'd come loose. I tighten them to a pretty high torque.

·
on line
10,133 Posts
i painted my wheels today. for the holes where the lugs go, i cut circles out of masking tape and placed them in there to cover the hole from the front. on the back, i covered the whole center where it contacts the hub.

besides that, it's an excellent writeup. i did use a mini power sander and a dremel. if you have em, us em. it worked out well. here's some more pics of the wheels just before paint (after prep), and just after paint

·
on line
10,133 Posts
i haven't mounted the tires on them yet...i'm letting them "cure" for the next week or so. they'll go on when i do my lift sometime in the next 2 weeks. i did spray over the balancing weights. i'll touch it up after they're removed and/or moved, but it won't be too noticeable being that it's on the back of the wheel.

·
on line
1,045 Posts
Creek said:
i haven't mounted the tires on them yet...i'm letting them "cure" for the next week or so. they'll go on when i do my lift sometime in the next 2 weeks. i did spray over the balancing weights. i'll touch it up after they're removed and/or moved, but it won't be too noticeable being that it's on the back of the wheel.
I'm anxious to see them on an X of that color.... cuz I'm thinking about doing the same.

·
on line
1,059 Posts
Looks great..

·
on line
131 Posts
Anyone do this on a Red Brawn yet? I'm anxious to see what it looks like. I may have to be the first (as soon as I can bring myself to start sanding on my wheels).

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't do the inside or back lip because you can't really see them and I don't care I guess. If you do choose to do them you'll need to increase to at least 3-4 cans of Bedliner to cover those areas.

BTW, Creek nice job! Having the rims with no tire on makes it much easier, I wish I had a 2nd set of rims.

·
on line
527 Posts
I taped off the lug holes amd the back where the wheel contacts the hub. Wheels looks great and I love mine. I used a scoth brite pad instead of sand paper and that worked really well.

·
on line
32 Posts
That is my biggest worry. I want to do this, but I dont want to wait until I get new tires...

1 - 20 of 614 Posts