Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Super Moderator / Middle Atlantic Regional Moderat
9,460 Posts
OK, after realizing I can not afford the ShrockWorks Front Bumper right now and also realizing that I am unsatisfied with the look of the current Factory Bumper I had an idea... and some free time! Instead of just Stealth Coating the Grill, why not an Stealth Coat the entire Front End!?!

STEP 1: Look at your Shabby, Stock Bumper and realize your dissatisfaction. Now, remove the Grill and Bumper Fascia. There is already a detailed How-to by "dpatton" on how to remove this, but the photos are gone/expired.

How-to: Front Stock Bumper Removal

Consider this the "BEFORE" Photo;

Grill Removed;

Bumper Assembly Removed;

Bumper Fascia and Lower Bumper;

STEP 2: Gather the supplied you will need. If you have a moderately well stocked garage, this mod should only cost you $35-40.

Here is all I needed;

Now, dissasemble the Lower Bumper from the Fascia by removing the Lower Screws and popping out the Hidden Snaps on top. Then, pop out the Covers for the OEM Fog Lights, unless you have them installed. You can spray these too, I chose not to.

STEP 3: So, start with a Light Grit Sand Paper, like 80, and Sand the entire surface of both pieces until they are scuffed up and have some texture to them for the Duplicolor Bedliner to Grab too.

Here, we see a nicely scuffed Fascia;

This is a very important step, so be very meticulous. Finish this step off by cleaning the two pieces with Windex and then get a finer clean by using Acetone and some Paper Towels.

STEP 4: It's spraying time! Now, as I have mentioned in my previous "How-to's" the spraying of the Duplicolor Bedliner is something to practiced. I had done quite a bit of it in recent history and I recommend the following method; Apply the spray approximately 6 inches from the desired surface and move in sweeping motion, never stopping in one place. This technique will allow for a smooth and consistent application. I also recommend 3-4 Coats. Allow 15 minutes between spraying of Coats.

Here we see the Bumper after 1 Coat;

Here, after 3 Coats;

STEP 5: Allow both pieces at least 3-4 Hours to cure. I recommend letting it dry over night if possible. Once dry, reassemble the Bumper Fascia and Lower Bumper. Once re-assembled re-install back on your X in the reverse order you removed it. Then, stand back and look at great mod that only cost you $40!

The "AFTER" Shot!

This is a Seamless Transformation;

Close Up View;

Here are Some Photos after a nice Bath and Shine;

Boo ya! The Stealth Bandit Strikes Again!

·
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tim13con said:
Nice mod... jebus your truck is clean. Looks darn good.
It was pretty dirty before today. The photos make it look cleaner than it is. I just used some cheap car soap ad used a shammy cloth to dry it. Then I used "Tire Wet" to spray the tires. No special techniques here.

I cleaned the engine bay too. Used "Citrus Brite". That stuff works wonders.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
awesome write up!
i want to do the first part you did, then the lower middle bumper peice. maybe this summer!
how much is a can of the duplicolor bedliner? and how may did you use?

·
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
125ina30zone said:
also, you shuld to your sliders in the same thing. now thtd be sick
I used about 3 cans of Bedliner.

Also, my Shrockworks Sliders came powder coated black, so I would never even think of bedlining them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ive been thinking about doing all the black plastic. Bumpers, steps, rack parts, box, everything. I think you just pushed me a little closer...

·
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mcampana said:
Ok, so you used grey bedliner? I like the finish, and the job you did. But i thinnk totaly black would look pretty killer.
Nope, it is black Bedliner. I am not sure why it looks grey in the photos, it's all black from grill to lower bumper. Just come see it in person to believe me.

Some young kid from my town said my truck was "murdered out." I am not sure if that is a compliment or not.

·
9,460 Posts
125ina30zone said:
How much darker is it from the actual Bumper color?
Here is the Before and After Photos. And, I agree you really can't see too much of a difference;

I will take a new "After" photo today in the Sunlight before the Rain comes.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
"Some young kid from my town said my truck was "murdered out." I am not sure if that is a compliment or not."
It is, and as another example, you could check out Wally's X "ONIX". Black front to back..

1 - 20 of 80 Posts