Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
1,420 Posts
Hi,

okay, i know its not super easy to steel the spare on the X, but my peace of mind is worth this $14.99 spare tire lock kit.

so here goes:

Pic of the spare tire lock rod with lock and key:

Kit hard ware, lock nut, retaining clip....etc...

Walmart stanley angle. They do sell stock angle, but this is what i had laying around:

Cut angle here:

My Chop saw!:

CHOP! Then drill out hole to 3/8's. its already at 5/16 and i could have used included 5/16 bolt but i chose to discard the 5/16 bolt that came with the kit and install 3/8 bolt that came with the kit. i used no washers. thats just me...:

Begin installing:

Orientation:
Now obviously you need to tighten this thing with the rod off due to the rod being in the way for a socket and ratchet. once near tightened i installed the rod and then with my Gorrilla grip i turned it and oriented it fwd and aft in relation to the truck - this is needed to make the rod line up perfectly with the spare wheel hole pattern in its design. see last pic in thread.

Now for my trusty curved needle nose plyers:

N-NOSE in action:

Retaining clip smashed together:

Finished product - with the correct orientation the drop rod hangs perfectly to line up with the spare tire holes in the spare wheel design.

I hope yall enjoyed this:

oh ya, you can buy this simple kit at nearly any truck accessory store or camper / trailer sales store.

- Jason

·
on line
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well, i just got my X, and im a big time mod guy, so i have tons more ideas and mods to go on this new X..

- j

·
on line
384 Posts
Nice How-to! If they are going to all be that well done, then we are all going to benefit from your contributions.

·
on line
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey thanks Todd....i really appreciate that......

im a text book engineer nerd kinda guy, but "mod" is my nick name!! lol...so ya, i hope to contribute to the site the most i can....

this site already does have some great contributers though and a great list of really good "HOW TO'S"

most of which im already purchasing and working toward installing!!

- Jason

·
on line
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HEy? are the pics still showing???? im at work and photobucket doesnt work for me at all here....

- J

·
Registered
21 Posts
Product name and brand

This lock looks like a good choice. I've been searching online for this style of spare lock and not finding it. Can you tell me exactly what it's called and the brand name? Where did you buy yours?

·
TNX Administrator
20,255 Posts
All (12) Photos placed into PB's Purgatory, have been Resurrected for this thread! :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts