Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hey GeoJon, I performed a sound deadening project last year during covid lockdown following your guide, and now I can hear the wind noise badly above 40 mph. I know this is a game of whack-a-mole, but did you run into the same thing? Any suggestions beyond replacing the stock weather stripping on the front doors?
Not really. I think it might be a matter of being able to notice more of one thing by dampening another. I was able to put some noico foam behind the A-pillar plastics. I have a little leftover material and might try to pop the map lights and sunglasses holder to put some on the roof without having to remove the headliner.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hey @GeolJon, any thoughts on 150mm vs 315 Noico foam? Looks like noico green is not available anymore. I imagine thinner foam is easier to get places but may also insulate less than the thicker foam?
I think you can use thicker foam than I used in most places. Thinner foam on top of sound deadener (i.e. dynamat) probably does more than either one alone. I think that thicker is better than thinner, where you can, and both are better than nothing,

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Did the rear hatch. Surprisingly easy to take the plastic off. I don’t have the patience but I covered most of it. Noico recommends 100% coverage but of course they would.

I tried to take sound measurements but screwed up on the app usage. Not sure I can hear much difference to be honest. Next step is the doors and the trunk area.

Probably took me about 3 hours for just the hatch alone.

I ended up using noico red 150 mil foam on top of noico 80 mil butyl sound deadener.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Did the rear hatch. Surprisingly easy to take the plastic off. I don’t have the patience but I covered most of it. Noico recommends 100% coverage but of course they would.

I tried to take sound measurements but screwed up on the app usage. Not sure I can hear much difference to be honest. Next step is the doors and the trunk area.

Probably took me about 3 hours for just the hatch alone.

I ended up using noico red 150 mil foam on top of noico 80 mil butyl sound deadener.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The rear hatch was quite easy to do, just have to work around the latch mechanism, but putting the panel back on just right was a little tricky. I broke or lost a couple clips and pins which results in some squeaks and occasional rattling that I have yet to fully fix. I think some of it might have to do with a slightly off fit from when I had it replaced after getting rear-ended several years back.
The biggest sound impact I noticed afterwards was decreased exhaust noise. It was most noticeable sitting in the back seat before and after.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Opened up my front doors and realized that when I had my speakers upgrade the shop put some butyl matt on the doors as well, but only on the inside surface. Peeled it back and put some butyl/foam on the outside surface of the door as well. I'm definitely quieting down because I'm starting to hear creaks/noises I've never heard before and the noise from the front is more pronounced. @GeolJon did you do anything for the front wheel wells? I've read that people spray bedliner on the fender liner or even put butyl on the inside of the wheel wells.

Plant Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Opened up my front doors and realized that when I had my speakers upgrade the shop put some butyl matt on the doors as well, but only on the inside surface. Peeled it back and put some butyl/foam on the outside surface of the door as well. I'm definitely quieting down because I'm starting to hear creaks/noises I've never heard before and the noise from the front is more pronounced. @GeolJon did you do anything for the front wheel wells? I've read that people spray bedliner on the fender liner or even put butyl on the inside of the wheel wells.

View attachment 147342
I haven't done anything for the wheel wells. I've heard of it being done though. That is quite a thorough job on the door. Bet you can feel it a bit heavier.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts