Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am incredibly happy with the way this turned out. You can eliminate the big Nissan burger on the front and add a sleeper look to your truck. Not sure how I would go about this on a 2009+ grille, this will only apply to 05-08 grilles.

Approximate time: 5 hours
Approximate cost: $40-$150

1. Optional-Buy a new front grille. It costs like $110 from partsgeek. I chose to do this because the fascia on my old grille had a busted up corner. No you cant buy only the fascia. You have to get the whole assembly.

2. Split your grille apart. Use a flat head screwdriver if you need it. I broke a few tabs on my grille the first time I did it, but luckily I was practicing with the already busted up one. There are about 18 little tabs you have to pop out. Use multiple screwdrivers and wiggle them as you work across to keep tabs from popping back in.

3. Drill holes for LED lights. I also practiced this step a few times and after failing 3/4 times on my practice grille I decided to use body filler to build up the light housings. LEDs are amber 8mm fleabay bulbs with built in resistors. When you drill the holes start small and build up VERY gradually. If you try to do it in one go you will undoubtedly bust up plastic.
-I also used 8mm led housings that I found because they were cheap and look way better than bulbs without housings.

4. Break out the sawzall and dremel tool! Go to town on the vertical fang looking things on the fascia. After you've sawed out the main portion use a dremel to grind the plastic down flat. Use this opportunity to rough up the plastic on the inside for better adhesion.
-COMBINED STEP: Use pieces from what you cut out of the fangs and place them in the old holes. See picture

5. Cut the honeycomb out of the inner part. Hopefully you have a cutting blade for your dremel to do this. You want to put the black honeycomb section facedown and cut around it. I stared at this for a long time and this is the best way to do it.
-NOTE: this picture was taken earlier in the process. I later cut off all the little tabs that you see. It would have been MUCH EASIER if i figured this out beforehand, but unfortunately no one had made a HOW-TO yet

6. Size up the grille. I ordered fleabay grille material and am pretty happy with it. Cut it about an inch big all around and lay it on the freshly cut and sanded section. Go around with body filler or jb weld and attach the grille. Then after its all cured go around with a hammer and hammer the excess grille down and add more bondo.

7. Paint.

8. Place the LED lights and hot glue them into place. Don't forget to wire them up and don't mess up +/- wires.

9. Insert the grille and gawk at its plain beauty with a cold one in hand.

10. Wire LED lights. I already had an add-a-fuse for my fog light mod so I just quick spliced into this wire. I also already had a nearby ground so this part was very easy.

11. Check to make sure it all works. Hopefully you didn't get any hot glue in front of your LEDs so they can all be the same brightness.

Good luck fellow modders!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hard to get perspective, but looks like I might dig it. Glamour shots!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nice work!

I would also take some free-flowing silicon and get it between the lenses of the LEDs to keep water out. I have marker lights in my grille and I had 2 burn out after driving through heavy rain. Took some windshield silicone to them and haven't had any issues after that.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought the Satoshi mod was also having the old school brand lettering. For Toyota it is anyways.
You are probably correct. I thought it meant removing the Nissan burger. Truthfully, I think my version deserves a different, distinguished name but have not come up with one myself.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Renamed to the "Sleeper Grille Mod"

I also have to mention that I showed this to my girl the day after installation she immediately punched it pretty hard. I was nervous but it seems to have held together, so this method is not too much weaker than the stock grille.

·
on line
1,420 Posts
Perhaps someone can tell me how to embed pictures or just get my attachments rotated correctly.

EDIT: Thank you coalition. Now all my pictures can look the right way. Much appreciated.

dude i like it! reminds me of:

LoL..right....niice!

-J

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Someone beat me to it. I've been thinking about doing this for about a year, just never have had the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Others have done the raptor lights or the plain grille but as far as I know mine is one of a kind

·
Registered
47 Posts
I picked up an extra grill a few weeks ago and plan to use it for this mod. Thank you very much for the detailed steps.

·
Registered
47 Posts
He're how far I got yesterday:

Had to contain my eagerness to throw on some primer and color. I met a guy who worked in prop building and I remember him saying that to make things perfect he would fiberglass many, many times. I've got about 4 passes on this and a gloss or two. Should be finalizing the shape and finish today.

2019.06.08 - Been having trouble with one area on the right. I finally figured out what was causing the issue and solved it. Should be able to move on to the final stages this week. Looking awesome but I want to get it perfect before applying color.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts