Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well Cat is out of bag I guess, so here it goes, You
know what, why and how to order. Read on.

Here is the beating the rear diff cover takes,
I took this picture AFTER I beat the cover back
at the bottom and sealed it from leaking fluid.
The problem is the cover is so thin, rocks just
peal it back and make a leak.

Here is what you want and need.

Not all surfaces are so smooth,

So if you have an X and you leave the road
or maybe your wife just happens to run over
Parking lot islands or curbs the first thing that
takes a hit on an Xterra is the rear Diff cover.
It's the weakest link that will drain your diff in
a hurry should you peal back the cover and not
realize it, that repair will REALLY drain your wallet!
You can go without this cover, but you can be real
sorry too. Ok it arrives like this, Maybe Bare metal,

I opted for some painting, and trim up some
other items while I was at it.

Very simple quick install, Remove the existing
bolts....put new cover over the weak one, install
all the new supplied bolts by hand coated
with RTV silicone and finger tighten.
(To insure no cross threading)

Then you tighten them down evenly and snug,
torque to spec. I show this one because
it was hardest one, that brake line may get in the way,
but it is pretty flexible to move a bit.

Ta daaaa! No more pealed back diff cover!
And I can recklessly back up now!

This shot shows what makes it work, look at
the thickness of the flange.

Nothing looks as good as the woman,
And she can run over mall curbs in my X anytime!)
but this Diff Cover by SHROCKWORKS looks pretty
beefy under there! & sweet!

As a final step be sure to check the cover for
leaks the few days after install and always after
a 4 wheeling event. You can still use factory
Drain and fill plugs with this cover installed.
This install was a C200 A D44.

Install is much the same but has different bolts.
This is a very reasonable priced product that provides
plenty of protection. It would be the 1st thing I'd buy
for my X if I was leaving the road.

In some cases if you develop a persistant leak
you may have to remove Org. Diff cover, change fluid and
re-install all this using RTV as a gasket.

MC

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Is the lady part of the extra Smooth package?

now that last picture looks awesome!

·
on line
559 Posts
Did you lose any fluid when you removed the bolts to put the new cover on?

The last pic reminded me of those Truck Nutz that rednecks hang off their pickups. :)

·
on line
81 Posts
Looks great glad to see these have started to ship. Mine's on order so hopefully it will be on it's way soon.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
max6spd said:
Did you lose any fluid when you removed the bolts to put the new cover on?The last pic reminded me of those Truck Nutz that rednecks hang off their pickups. :)
Well My cover is a test cover, Jim makes sure it all works before he ships eh. So the answer is no and then yes. No leakage when installed, at all. Then 2 days later I notice slight seep from bottom left bolt as if it were coming out around bolt. Like maybe you need to coat the bolts with something before you re install. But I just re torqued it all down and 1 week later so far so good. That is why I mention the checking.

I figure maybe when they installed that cover they did not get gasket on inside of that one bolt. As with any install, vehicles have personalities and what works on one might not work on another depending on the day of the week the auto was made, 3-18 is a bad day. I had a Dodge mad on that day total lemon. Green puke stains all over the frame.

MC

·
on line
564 Posts
COOL!

Just curious though...what's the mechanical difference between the D44 variant rear and the non D44 varient rear?

Rob

·
on line
15,651 Posts
They are just different. The M226 (D44 Variant) is made by Dana for Nissan. I assume because of this it has Spicer parts (don't know that for sure, but I would be shocked if Dana built and axle and didn't use their own parts). Where as the C200 (non D44) is built by someone else (possibly Nissan them selves).

To call the M226 a D44 is really a lie. Yes Dana built it and they call it a D44, but no D44 aftermarket components will fit it.

So far there isn't any proof that the M226 is any better than the C200, they are just different. Well, I guess in one way, the M226 is better, you can get it with a locker.

Great write up MC. Just curious, when you painted the bolts, did you tape off the threads?

Also, after looking at your pic, I really like how the drain plug is protected on the C200. On the M226 it's just kind o sticking out there to get buggered up.

Here is what the D44 cover looks like when it get's beat to hell.

Also, the install for the C200 and the M226 (D44) are identical.

·
on line
189 Posts
Looks awesome...
What's your feelings on diff covers that go under the diff as well? Do they just lower the lowest point..
Does this offer the same protection?

Thanks

·
on line
2,077 Posts
the main feature of the diff cover is to strengthen the edges of the cover so they do not get hung up on something and peeled back thus leaking fluid out of the differential....the covers that extend under the diff just lower your ground clearence...which is obviously not good....plus they typically require brackets to attach to the vehicle, the shrock cover bolts directly to the existing diff cover bolt holes!

·
on line
1,831 Posts
I have the cover coming in the mail...

I guess though, I'm still not able to picture how exactly it prevents peel-back.

If anything, it seems like adding more surface area on that seam allows for a higher likelihood for peel-back...

Can someone break it down "mechanical-engineer" style for me?

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the thickness and mass of it prevents peel back. You can kinda see by looking at my 1st picture and then Muzikmans picture with cover on.

Or imagine a decal stuck to a glass, it's so thin you can peel it back with a fingernail, Now, stick say a nameplate off a trophy plaque to same glass and try that, you'll break a nail.

Not exactly mechanical engineer, although we probably have one of those. The best part is, this design adds the strength and no loss in clearance.

·
on line
707 Posts
I am going to be doing this tomorrow. For those of you who have done it, am I better off popping the cover and re-sealing with RTV even though Shrock says you don't need to? I am going to be draining and refilling the diff either way and want to avoid having to do it again because of a leak.

·
on line
282 Posts
I am going to be doing this tomorrow. For those of you who have done it, am I better off popping the cover and re-sealing with RTV even though Shrock says you don't need to? I am going to be draining and refilling the diff either way and want to avoid having to do it again because of a leak.
Well, I had to go back, pop the cover, and re-seal. I just did that yesterday after living with a slow drip for a month or two after installing the Shrock diff cover.

I'd say see what happens when you try installing the Shrock diff cover. If you start to get any leakage at all while working on it, drain, pop the cover off entirely, re-seal, and refill. Otherwise you're probably ok. Mine started leaking the moment I loosened the bolts on the bottom.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts