Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howzit, So I went to both Home depot and Lowes and was unable to find any rubber grommets, bushings, or washers for the size required. Frustrated I looked in my garage to see what was readily available and thought why not use the zip ties! I'm using two zip ties 1/4 in. wide on both sides of the shackle mount, for a total of 8 zip ties all together. They have been doing the job perfect with no rattles or slapping.

Aloha, nalu's one

·
on line
807 Posts
If you can't find any grommets, how about using a a short section of garden hose or something.

·
on line
1,420 Posts

·
on line
122 Posts
If you want to make your shackles look like MCs in his shrockworks install you need to use gladhand gromments. He said you can find them at truckstops just laying round the parking lot. I bought mine from a trucker supply store called Interstate Safety.

I bought a pack of 50 red urethane large face gromments and each shackle takes 2 1/2 or 3 gladhand grommets. 50 will cost you $22 + 8.50 or so in shipping. About $.60 a piece.

I'm willing to sell 6 gromments each to the first 6 guys that PM me for a total of 5 bucks, I'll pay the postage. 6 gromments will stop the rattle on 2 shackles. If you have shrockworks front and back you need 12.

We'll work out the means of payment in the PM. I have a paypal account but have alway brought stuff with it not sold.

MC was right, once you get these on, they are solid and no rattle and I would be surprised if anyone could get that shackle off with out some serious tools. The hole of the grommet is smaller than the clevis pin and the urethane stretches so they are on there tight.

This is my first post so bear with me. I'll try to upload some pics this weekend.

Hawkinsw

I'll find the on-line site for Interstate Safety for you tomorrow, its on my work e:mail.

·
on line
122 Posts
I figured you could find gladhand gromments laying around a truck stop, there just isn't one near me.

Here is the site for gladhand grommets.
http://www.truckerslogbook.com/VehicleSupplies.html

At the bottom under Miscellaneous look for Urethane seals

Hawkinsw

2006 Night Armor S
Shrockworks front bumper, OEM fog lamps,
E9000 Milemarker winch, Amsteel Blue rope
Optima Yellowtop, Raingler web roof rack, self constructed Raingler type interior attic.
Working on the stickers, thinking next mods rock siders and Volant cai

·
on line
145 Posts
Or you could keep the shackle(s) in a bag under the rear floor along with the tow strap. That way theiving hands can't get to them, and you don't have anything getting in the way or lost when you actually need to use the shackle.

·
on line
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Howzit, Hey hawkinsw thanks for the link, I am definitley going to order a bunch of those gladhand grommets. That's exactly what I was looking for. And k1w1t1m don't worry about my shackles being stolen, I have them torqued mean kine! You'll need a pry bar to steal them. Aloha, nalu's one

·
on line
122 Posts
Nalu's one, if you want red send me PM, I sell you some of my left overs.

Hawkinsw

2006 Night Armor S
Shrockworks front bumper, OEM fog lamps,
E9000 Milemarker winch, Amsteel Blue rope
Optima Yellowtop, Raingler web roof rack, self constructed Raingler type interior attic.
Working on the stickers, thinking next mods - rock sliders and Volant cai

·
on line
25 Posts
The rubber grommets from Home Depot if you are still wondering are in the plumbing dept. near parts for toilets. They are called I think petcock flange grommet or something to that effect and they are in this red and green and white packaging. Good luck.

·
on line
1,123 Posts
bgloveX said:
The rubber grommets from Home Depot if you are still wondering are in the plumbing dept. near parts for toilets. They are called I think petcock flange grommet or something to that effect and they are in this red and green and white packaging. Good luck.
See the next to last post in this thread http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2468&highlight=

·
on line
25 Posts
Right that is exactly what I was talking about. I wasn't trying to take credit for the idea. I was just reposting an idea that someone else came up with and it is what I decided to use myself to keep the shackles from slapping.

·
on line
25 Posts
Kneebuster, Thanks for adding the link of the picture that I was talking about. I could not remember where I had found it before. These things work great they just take a few minutes to get them set in there right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts