Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
3,484 Posts
This is what most Shackles look like, sloppy, loose and making noise and jacking up your new ShrockWorks Bumper! Shame shame shame....

This is what they look like after the MC Glad Hand Washer MOD, The red one is Urethane, it can be done but PITA. Notice though 2 on one side one on thread side. Painted with any paint suited for Plastic, I used Krylon. It has special Adhesive Promoters.

You want the used Rubber Cheap Glad Hand Washers, (not the Urethane), they are Rubber Washers that go in the Glad Hands on Truck Air Lines. If you know a Truck Driver, they can get you some, you need 3 each Shackle. OR get Rubber Washers from a Plumbing Dept.

It's kind of a bear to install, takes some force, but you will get it. You put the bolt through and stretch a Glad Hand Washer on, Maybe two, sometimes I cut one in half, (Dangerous, be careful).

Then you install it on the location, put another Washer on, push the bolt through while turning it so the Washer catches the thread;

The Bonus is, If you crank it down the Rubber creates resistance so they are not easily ganked, (Stolen), Crank en and try it. You'll see.

And you done it! Ain't that tight!

The best part is, they look good, don't bang or rattle, and when you rig you can stick em straight out while rigging. They will always go back to where they are, but move normally under a load.

Also found on the Ground Free at places they do truck maintenance.
What they look like installed! I used 1 for Rear and 2.5 for Front.

MC

·
on line
551 Posts
Looks good.
I got the shackles, but not bumper (yet)
I'll get me BIL to grab me a few. He's always bringing us stuff we can't use, so this time I'll get him bring me something I can use.

·
on line
463 Posts
Shackle Anti slap.

HEY EVERYONE ! THIS IS ONE OF THE GREAT ANSWERS FOR ALL OFF-ROADING !

THANKS TO MC, MY NEW SHROCKWORKS BUMPER WON'T BE DINGED UP BEFORE IT'S TIME.
LESS NOISE ! LOOKS VERY TIDY !
THANKS MC !
Jim B

·
on line
589 Posts
Hey MC, you metioned that you use two on one side and one on the other. Just curious why the two black ones are significantly narrower and seem to be a different type entirely? Just trying to figure that out before my bumper arrives and I do this install.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea on glad hands there are two ends, the end that stays with the trailer and the one that stays with the truck. Both will work just got to kinda look at what you have and figure what is best of what you have on hand. Ya kinda want both as they both have their place to fit in. Sometimes you have to use like 2 and a half. Half meaning sliced like bread not cut in half. As far as shrockworks bumpers, the front and rear work out different. Because of the way they make the tabs, the rear is much thicker, don't know why. The cheaper ones work best and the more they have been used the easier they install. MC

·
on line
463 Posts
Shackle Anti slap.

Sorry for stickin' in again,,,,my shrockworks rear bumper used 1/2 on each side of the shackle and boy oh boy were they fun to squeese in.

Works Great though !

JB

·
on line
589 Posts
Hey guys- I was trying to do this mod and ran in to the issue that glad hands may not be as easy as one hoped for this mod. I ended up using very small diameter rubber 3/4" washers that are generic and about 50 cents a piece. I will post a pic, but they are in diameter smaller then the mount and black so they hold the shackle but are all but invisible. Another option on this great mod.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Yea! Post a picture and a source of the Washer, a size and all and maybe people can find the easier. It is a cool Mod! I just re-did mine as pictured and re-did it. No way I can do without this MOD. Noiseless & Chip Free.
Wahoooo Black Grille, SHROCKWORKS Aluminum Fairlead, Amsteel Rope, Painted Shackles, and Hook, Wahooooooo.

And the far out shot with rattle free Shackles! Wahooooo Black Grille wahoooooooo. Wahooooooo, Wahooooooo.

MC

·
Read Only
656 Posts
What kind of paint did you use on the shackles? My shackle and the receiver adapter are a sliver finish (cadmium plated maybe?) so I don't know what will stick to them. Any prep on them first? By the way, any idea how to secure a shackle so it isn't "borrowed"? I use a Master Lock receiver lock to keep may adapter where it belongs (stainless steel), but not sure how to keep my shackle from being boosted.

·
on line
589 Posts
Don't know about the paint, but I personally don't use anything to lock my Shackles down. I figure they are only $10-15 Bucks and I have even found a few on trails before, so if someone wants it that bad they can take it. Now I did tighten down the Shackle with using a narrow Metal Bar when I put them on, (using the hole on the bolt for leverage), so there is no way anyone is going to take them off by hand....

·
on line
1,420 Posts
a.. Thats awesome...

I Carbon Fiber wrapped a Home Depot Ballcock Washer and used it as my Aftermarket Shift Knob finisher on my Nissan 350Z... :D

-J

·
TNX Administrator
20,433 Posts
All (10) Photos placed into PB's Purgatory, have been Resurrected for this Thread! :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts