Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've got a 2007X. Getting a SES lite with the code for the fuel sensor. But the fuel gauge works OK. If I cycle the SMJ latch just behind the right front mud flap, the SES light goes off for a day or two, so I'm assuming the problem is in that connector. Even after I release the latch on the SMJ connector I can't get the connector halves apart. Does anyone know the secret way to hold your tongue to get this connector apart, so I can spray contact cleaner into the two halves?

Glenn

·
Registered
255 Posts
Before spraying anything, look into both side of the connector, you might see a loose terminal that you can tighten with long noose pliers.

After careful inspection, clean with contact cleaner and put some dielectric grease in both side connectors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, that's what I want to do. Do you know how I can separate the two halves of the connector?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, got it. For those of you who may run into the same thing, after the latch is loose, it must be forced all the way back until it does a serious snap. Only then can you pull the rear connector half back and out of the front half. You'll also see that there is a panel with matching holes that follows the connector out, so when you look in the front half you won't see any pins. But, they're there. With the back half of the connector out, move the latch halfway back to the closed/latched position and the panel will move forward, so that you can see the pins and spray them. Then put the halves back together again. Make sure the latch moves all the way forward and snaps into its final position.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts