Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wanted to add that to program the fob, dont go to fast. I did it kind of fast about 5 to 7 times and no lights blinked. I did the key part really slow and worked like a charm. I program both ebay china keys and the original still works. Had it cut at a small key shack for $5. He said he can program it but i forgot to grt a price. Ill be in the area nwxt week and get more details and if he can do it for a good price ill post his info here.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I bought my X all the dealer gave me was 1 key and 1 remote. The key itself isn't an original (Ilco brand) and doesn't have the transponder tray. Would I still be able to do this if I purchase 3 Rogue keys from Amazon/ have them cut and if so are there any extra steps that need to be taken? Would be nice to have the all in one key/fob. If anyone has done this in a similar situation input would be much appreciated

·
Registered
494 Posts
You have to cut the key apart to get the chip out. Mine were the same when I bought my Xterra - no tray, had to hack them apart. It's not really that difficult, the housing is typically a softer rubber, the chip is located to one side, near the base of the key, kind of a rectangular-ish shape. I bought the cheapest Rogue key I could find on eBay and haven't had a problem in almost 2 years, except for the labels rubbing off in about 2 months.

Ace hardware cut mine, Home Depot and Lowes wouldn't even touch them. There's also a programming routine you have to go through, my directions came with my Rogue key. Very easy to do, cutting the old key apart was by far the hardest part and that only took 1 or 2 minutes.

·
Some random dude
358 Posts
When I bought my X all the dealer gave me was 1 key and 1 remote. The key itself isn't an original (Ilco brand) and doesn't have the transponder tray. Would I still be able to do this if I purchase 3 Rogue keys from Amazon/ have them cut and if so are there any extra steps that need to be taken? Would be nice to have the all in one key/fob. If anyone has done this in a similar situation input would be much appreciated
You would be able to do 1 rogue key by cutting out the transponder and putting it in the new key, the other 2 would have to have the transponder programmed into your vehicle by a locksmith, at which point you might as well just do all 3 rogue keys the same. Programming the transponder requires all of the keys you want on the vehicle to be added at the same time, so most lockmiths won't charge a fee per key to do that (just per key for the cutting).

If they want to charge you to do the remote part, don't bother. It takes all of 5 minutes to add the remotes following the steps on this site.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have a link to where to order the rogue key with the transponder chip in it already and just needs to be programmed?

I need 2 extra keys beside the one key and the remote the dealer gave us.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Alright I think I got an idea on this key thing but have 3 questions on it.

#1. How close does the transponder chip need to be in proximity to the key cylinder?

#2. Does the chip have a battery or does it have a lifespan of some sort?

#3. Will I have to remove the Rogue key transponders if they aren't programmed for the car.

So heres my idea because I don't want to pay to have new keys programmed (yes, I'm being cheap) just to take them apart and put the chips in a Rogue key. I just want to remove the transponder chip from my one and only key and either tape it, glue it or something to fasten it to the key cylinder. Now with that I know I'll have to get Rogue keys cut and program the remotes which can be done easily.

·
Registered
359 Posts
That's the keys I have for my x right now. Had them cut and programmed with my stock keys, so now I have 4 keys and remotes.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
563 Posts
That's the keys I have for my x right now. Had them cut and programmed with my stock keys, so now I have 4 keys and remotes.

@KuanR where did you buy these flip fobs and how much did they cost? Did you have to take them to a dealer for programming? What did that cost?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
@KuanR where did you buy these flip fobs and how much did they cost? Did you have to take them to a dealer for programming? What did that cost?

Thanks! :)
I bought them off eBay a long time ago, I think it was $31 each. I used a mobile key cutting + programming service that came to me to do it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I bought them off eBay a long time ago, I think it was $31 each. I used a mobile key cutting + programming service that came to me to do it.

Cool thanks! I gather from this thread that the ebay ones aren't the genuine OEM ones? Not sure if it matters though, if they work.

61 - 80 of 112 Posts