Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just did this mod after having a Euro key mod (that I felt was too large anyway)fail on me. I have a 2012 Xterra S and it worked great. Got the key cut at Lowe's. Turns out they do transponder programing/copying but for some reason they couldn't copy mine. So I just did what everyone else here did and used my valet key transponder, then programmed the remote for my car(very easy) and boom! Great new small footprint key!

Thanks for the How-To jeff_redx

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I'm slow , just so i'm clear there are two options correct?

step one : buy rogue key

step two: have key cut with stock key as the guide

step three: this is where there are options.

1. follow the programming sequence to link key to your car
or
2. cut out your transponder and glue it into the new key

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm slow , just so i'm clear there are two options correct?

step one : buy rogue key

step two: have key cut with stock key as the guide

step three: this is where there are options.

1. follow the programming sequence to link key to your car
or
2. cut out your transponder and glue it into the new key
You are close! Here was my process:

1. Buy Rogue key(I did it from eBay)
2. Take transponder from valet/old key and put it in Rogue key
3. Go to Lowe's and very friendly like explain what you would like done. They will look at you weird and say they might not be able to do it (depending on skill). The key fits a 38 size cartridge I believe. Remember that so you can tell em.
4. Follow the instructions here to program the remote control part of the key to your car. You'll have to do this for ALL of your keys at once I believe and you can do a maximum of four remotes. At which point your oldest key will be deleted and you'll be stuck with the newest four.
5. PROFIT!

P.S. - If you don't have a valet key... or you bought 3 Rogue keys because you just couldn't handle the excitement (like me). You'll have to find a capable locksmith or local Nissan dealer that can program the Transponder for you without raping you in price. I've done extensive research over the weekend and programming this thing buy yourself isn't possible to do.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks for the informative thread.

I purchased a $9 Nissan Rogue key from Ebay (doesn't have the genuine Nissan logo on back of it). The key comes with a transponder and battery, but I removed the transponder out of my valet key and swapped it out with the one in the new key.

Drove to Lowes and told the key clerk I'm trying to copy keys. He read some chart behind the counter and said he knew what cartridge to use. 15 seconds later, the key was copied. I asked if I should pay for the key cutting, but he said it wasn't necessary.

Followed the procedure posted by the OP on how to program the remote. It was super easy. Get in vehicle. Lock doors manually (via the door panel). Put key in and out of ignition 6-7 times then the hazard lights will flicker once. At that point, re-insert the key into the ignition and turn 1 click to the ACC setting. Press any button on the remote. It's programmed. Then do the same with other remotes if you still want to use the old ones.

Overall, a great value at $9 total cost.

·
Registered
82 Posts
So the guys with the rogue key, do you think the panic button is truly less sensitive? I set mine off constantly.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just wanted to bump this thread to say that I did this mod last year (back when I was just lurking on the board) and I'm really happy with it. I bought a blank key from ebay for less than $20 and swapped the chip over. Took it to Wal Mart and they said they couldn't cut those kinds of keys. Whatever. Went to a local locksmith. He charged me $25 which is kind of outrageous, but at least I was sure it would be cut right. I realized after the fact that I should have gone to the hardware store and it probably would have been cheaper. I programmed the keyless entry sitting in a parking lot and it's worked great ever since.
I always thought the seperate key and fob was kind of clumsy and this is so much easier to carry.

When I took my X into the dealership to get a wheel bearing replaced the service writer was really impressed with my key and asked me how I got it to work haha.

And I don't think I've hit the panic button once since doing this swap.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've seen those on ebay but I'm not convinced they are made by Nissan. The new style Rogues are all push button start and use the same intelligent key as all the other models.
The base, new body style rogue does in fact use a flip out key blade. It's a regular turn key ignition. The sv and up is push button.

I haven't tried it, but I doubt the new rogue flip key will work with the xterra.

·
Registered
10 Posts
another option for a remote headed key, and if you are going to swap the chip over out of your old key anyway is the Versa Note & Sedan base model (Part# H0561-1HH4A) its non-chipped OE Nissan key with a MSRP $40.29

·
Registered
160 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291499865011?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I figured I would share the one I purchased. A little over $12 and programed the remote part today. I have not been able to locate a locksmith around here that can program nissan transponders. I may have to go to the dealership for that. I'd prefer to not tear apart the valet key.

I went to the dealership this morning to see if they would cut the key and program the transponder. They cut it and programmed the transponder to my car for $35. They do need all of your keys because they have to program all the transponder keys you want to use at the same time. For 47 bucks I got a rogue key and didn't have to tear apart any of my other keys, they even put a new battery all my fobs!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did it.
Works awesome! Way better than that separate remote fob.
Tried to get it cut at Lowes but guy said they are not allowed to cut customer supplied keys for free but will cut a key you buy from them for free. I got it cut at the local hardware store.
If there is a next time perhaps I will buy the cheapest key Lowes has and then give them the blank I bought from eBay and say I bought your key now you can cut this for free with my key purchase. ;)

·
Registered
494 Posts
I recently did this too. The X came with two beat up and worn out non-Nissan branded keys and only one fob. One of the key's ring loop was busted and didn't have the "tray" that slides out for the transponder, so I had to hack it apart to get the transponder out. Not that hard to do.

Bought the Rogue off brand key from Ebay for around $12 and it was in my mail box in 4 days all the way from China.

I also tried Lowe's and they wouldn't even try cutting it for me. Went to Ace Hardware and they cut it in less than 2 minutes. I followed the programming procedure in this thread and it has worked perfect ever since. In fact, the range on the new key is way better, even though I'm using the same battery from the old fob.

Great mod for less than $15! Took about 5 minutes to set up. My only complaint is that in less than 3 months the lock/unlock labels are already starting to wear off...

·
Registered
376 Posts
I Ordered this from banggood a few weeks ago. Can't see why it won't work. Will let you know when I get it.

3BTN Blank Remote Folding Flip Blade Case For Nissan Frontier Murano Quest Key
https://bnc.lt/m/TEFZIFVLSp

Update. Just received the above key. Its not a shocker but its junk. Tried to swap the electronics over and it doesn't really match up. I had the key cut too but that was only $5 so it will work as a handy spare for the doors ect.

41 - 60 of 112 Posts
About this Discussion
111 Replies
58 Participants
bbuhlman
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums
We’re the best Nissan Xterra forums to talk about your Nissan Xterra Mods and off-road adventures. The New X is the ultimate club Xterra.
Full Forum Listing