Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
You won't be able to program your new key if you've disconnected the door chime wire bundle under the dash. I almost gave up, but then remembered and was successful the first time. Total piece of cake. Thanks guy's!

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
How many keyfobs can be programmed to one xterra?

How many keys can be programmed to one xterra?

Thanks
Well, I have my two regular keys plus my valet, so that's at least three off the bat. I have two fobs and a keypad (which is fobbish, I suppose) so at least three of those as well.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
For 09 MYs there can be up to 5 keys and 5 keyfobs programmed to a vehicle according to Nissan manuals. I suspect other years are similar. I have 5 keys and 5 keyfobs, one being the remote keyless pad.

Jeff

·
Registered
176 Posts
If I buy this key, I don't want to pull out the transponder on my spare since I rather leave it in so I have to go to a dealership and fork over some $$ for it?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
You can either go to a dealership or a locksmith who has the computer equipment to link the new key to your X. All keys that you want to keep will have to be re-linked at the same time.

Jeff

·
Registered
81 Posts
If I buy this key, I don't want to pull out the transponder on my spare since I rather leave it in so I have to go to a dealership and fork over some $$ for it?
You can either go to a dealership or a locksmith who has the computer equipment to link the new key to your X. All keys that you want to keep will have to be re-linked at the same time.

Jeff
My local locksmith didn't have the correct programmer for the 2012, so I went to the dealer. They didn't know about it or did it before, but were willing to try and it worked. You need to bring all the keys, so they all can be programmed.

Good luck,

·
Registered
76 Posts
OK new 2012 PRO4X owner here and I'm a bit confused...:confused:
I only got ONE key and ONE key fob when I bought the truck used. If I order the Rogue key from Brian and send him the VIN so he can cut the key, how does he get the transponder in the Rogue key to work with my truck since I can't swap the transponder from the valet key I do not have?:scratch:

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
You don't, I can only CUT the key, I can not program the Fob to start the car.

That would have to be done at your dealership

Brian

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hmmm, that's going to be an expensive key! Brian I am putting together an order for you, are you running any specials right now? I need a set of side window deflectors, a 7 way towing harness with relays, a brake controller harness, and I guess a Rogue key. I will include my VIN for the Rogue key.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Belay that last post...:)
Last night I stopped by my local dealer where I bought my Altima. I wanted to see if my "new" truck had any recalls or TSB's that needed addressing (it did not) and to get it in their system for future service. While I was there I was talking to the parts guy and told him I had several thing I wanted to order, but was going to order them from an online source as Nissans dealer pricing was just too high. He asked for the list and the pricing. A few minutes later I was shocked to discover he was willing to match the pricing from online (once shipping was taken into account)! Cool dealer!

So... I got the Rogue remote key made for my 2012 Pro4X for $90.00 including programming it! I also ordered the 7 way trailer harness with relays, the brake controller sub-harness and a set of the wind deflectors.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My key fob was super sensitive and at least every other day my alarm goes off when it's in my pocket. So annoying! So...

I got my rogue key online and cut open my existing key to get the transponder out. It didn't have a drawer to pull it out. boo! I got the key cut but it was slightly different and didn't work, so I pulled mine out of the old plastic. The head is different though, so it won't fit the rogue fob. I'm going to cut the head down to size and drill the middle hole, so it should fit. What a pain but it'll be awesome when I'm done! Thanks for the writeup!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Belay that last post...:)
Last night I stopped by my local dealer where I bought my Altima. I wanted to see if my "new" truck had any recalls or TSB's that needed addressing (it did not) and to get it in their system for future service. While I was there I was talking to the parts guy and told him I had several thing I wanted to order, but was going to order them from an online source as Nissans dealer pricing was just too high. He asked for the list and the pricing. A few minutes later I was shocked to discover he was willing to match the pricing from online (once shipping was taken into account)! Cool dealer!

So... I got the Rogue remote key made for my 2012 Pro4X for $90.00 including programming it! I also ordered the 7 way trailer harness with relays, the brake controller sub-harness and a set of the wind deflectors.
I just called the local dealer as only received one key with my 2011. He said they have used the Rogue key on a Titian but not an Xterra yet, but they're willing to try. Key is $90 bucks, and they want $127 to program it :mad:

Good thing I had read up on this stuff before I hit the dealer. I got them to knock $200 off the price.

21 - 40 of 112 Posts