Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is pretty simple and is mainly to let members know that the Rogue key with the remote in the head of the key will work on Xterras.

I followed this post, http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showpost.php?p=865669&postcount=13, to the referenced thread, http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f9/adding-rogue-key-80192/. Thanks MdPhoenix.

The Rogue key sounded attractive to me mainly because of its size so I ordered one from one of the mentioned eBay sellers, http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-NISSAN-KEYLESS-REMOTE-KEY-FOB-/400230518607?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d2f990f4f, for $31.99 including shipping. Ordered on Saturday, 6/23, and it was delivered on Wednesday, 6/27.

I chose to remove the transponder chip from my valet key rather than having the new key/transponder mated to my X. My valet key a small drawer that can be easily removed with the transponder without damaging the key. The Rogue key can be opened and the attached transponder removed by carefully prying the transponder loose. I used a dab of RTV to attach the old transponder to the case.

From the Rogue Owners Manual:
KEYFOB
Replace the battery in the keyfob as follows:
1. Remove the screw.
2. Insert a small screwdriver into the slit of the
corner and twist it to separate the upper part
from the lower part. Use a cloth to protect
the casing.
3. Replace the battery with a new one.
Recommended battery:
CR1620 or equivalent
. Do not touch the internal circuit and
electric terminals as doing so could
cause a malfunction.
. Hold the battery by the edges. Holding
the battery across the contact points will
seriously deplete the storage capacity.
. Make sure that the + side faces the
bottom case.
4. Close the lid securely and install the screw.
5. Operate the buttons to check its operation.

Linking the remote to my Xterra was easy following the standard instructions that came with the wireless keypad. Lowes wouldn’t cut the key because store policy doesn’t allow cutting customer supplied blanks. A locksmith cut the key after obtaining verbal consent that I understood they weren’t liable for any problems.

The Rogue key compared to the Xterra key and remote key fob.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Friggin' awesome. I didn't realize you can swap transponders. And you said the transponder comes out of the valet key easily?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yeah, there's a little "drawer" on the side of the key. You can pry that out and it'll carry the original transponder out as well. Just swap over... good to go.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The remote cover is available at nissanpartsonline.com

Linking the remote to the vehicle for the locks, http://www.courtesyparts.com/instruct/remote.html.
ID CODE ENTRY PRODCEDURE

Step 1) Sit in drivers seat, close and lock all doors.

Step 2) Insert key into and remove it from ignition key cylinder more than six times within 10 seconds.
(Hazard warning lamps will then flash twice).

NOTE:
Withdraw key completely from ignition key cylinder each time.
If procedure is performed too fast, system will not enter registration mode.

Step 3) Insert key into ignition key cylinder and turn to ACC position.

Step 4) Push any button on remote controller once. (Hazard warning lamps will then flash twice).
At this time, the oldest ID code is erased and the new ID code is entered.

Step 5) Do you want to enter any additional remote controller ID codes?
A maximum of four ID codes may be entered. If more then four ID codes are entered,
the oldest ID code will be erased.
If you do not want to enter any additional remote controller ID codes, go to Step 9).

Step 6) ADDITIONAL ID CODE ENTRY
Lock all doors with LH (driver side) lock/unlock switch
(in main power window and door lock/unlock switch).

Step 7) Push any button twice on remote controller once, (Hazard warning lamps will then flash twice).
At this time, the oldest ID code is erased and the new ID code is entered.

Step 8) Do you want to enter any additional remote controller ID codes?
If so, unlock doors then repeat Step 6) and Step 7).

Step 9) When complete, open door, and check operation of remote.

The drawer in the valet key:

Some people have posted that their valet keys don't have the removable drawer. My regular keys don't have the drawer. The key can be cut apart to get to the transponder.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
This is awesome. Just checked mine and there IS a removable panel in the valet key! This is great news because having the dealer program my key is what was keeping me from buying a Rogue key.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
This is awesome. Just checked mine and there IS a removable panel in the valet key! This is great news because having the dealer program my key is what was keeping me from buying a Rogue key.
I wouldn't have known about the Rogue key if you hadn't posted the information. Glad you got me interested to look further into using the key. We both win, thanks.

I dislike the bulky Xterra remote and the Euro switchblade key didn't look like a better substitute for me. The Rogue key has hard plastic buttons that I don't think will trip in my pocket the same way the soft buttons on the X remote did, it'll take a while to verify that initial observation.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
I've been wanting to do the Rogue key for a while. I'm glad I could help. And glad you helped me!

·
Registered
5,157 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How do you pull out that little tray?
Insert a small knife blade between the key cover and tray and gently pry the tray out. Work both sides and be as gentle as you can. There are small raised features on the tray to keep it from just sliding out, they are visible in the picture. Once the tray is about 1/8" out it will slide out with little resistance.

You can see the damage to the cover on my valet key in the picture. It's cosmetic and the tray will fit back into the slot.

Jefff

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I totally would, but your key is more than twice the price.

My Key is a Genuine Nissan Product with the 1 Year Factory replacement Warranty.

The item on ebay is a factory second, or new with defect item:

"New other (see details): A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing the original packaging, or in the original packaging but not sealed. The item may be a factory second, or a new, unused item with defects. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections"

And they don't cut it.

My item costs me over double what they are selling this for, I can't compete with someone selling a knockoff or a factory second item.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ordered another Rogue key from the same site with the intention of having the same locksmith the cut the first key link all keys to the Xterra. The key was ordered Friday, 6/29, and deliverdd Monday, 7/2.

The locksmith cut the new key and then linked all of the keys to the X. The process for linking the keys turned out to be longer and more complicated than I expected. The was some significant loss of information through an illegal locksmith and there is an involved process to verify you are the legal owner of the vehicle you are getting keys for. According to the locksmith, this is only for 09 and up Nissans. Other than taking longer than expected they did successfully link all five keys.

My cost is $64 for both keys, $9 for cutting both keys, and $43 for the linking five keys; total $116. While not trivial, I feel its fair price for what I got.

Jeff

·
Registered
129 Posts
I did this for my '06 Frontier. I ordered the key today from Jerseyparts and 4 minutes later received a call telling me the key was ready. I picked up the cut key this evening, swapped out the transponder from my valet key, and spent a minute or so programming it. I'm pretty happy having a single key/remote instead of the separate key and remote.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts