Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I am hoping to post more but I wanted to show how I recently restored the faded plastic on my 2011 Pro 4x.

What worked great is a heat gun and everything comes out looking like new. I went with a Kobalt that cost around $75 but there are much cheaper ones out there.

Had the temp set to 800 and kept it about an inch away with slow movement. Try not to stay on one spot too long.

Below are some before and after shots of the trim.

This also worked for some scratches on the front and rear bumper.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,402 Posts
OK the million dollar question is;

In three posts you have stated that you have a 2011, 2012 & 2013 Pro-4X Xterra - So what year is it? :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I had good results with a heat gun as well BUT, it does not last. While it did last longer than any of the wipe on products I tried it still only kept them looking good for a few months.
I saw a few people that did this said it dried out the plastic and when it faded again it was even worse than before, was that the case in your experience?

·
Registered
557 Posts
I used a turtle wax trim restore that has (mostly) survived the car wash and rain thus far. Way better than paste/cream stuff. Just spray onto a microfiber cloth and apply. It doesn't leave residue in hard to reach places and goes on evenly. Yes, the morning dew made it run a little in some spots. But that won't be an issue once I close on the new house :)

I'm far to OCD and lazy to do the heat gun thing. I'd rather re-apply the spray once a month.

OR just bedline everything.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I've used Meguiar's "Back to Black" for years with good results. Recently used it to "restore" my 2009 Frontier to prep it for sale. Seems to work! The worst area was the plastic panel under the windshield wipers. It was very white, but within the amout of effort I felt like expending it looks acceptable black again (except for the air intake grills).

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
This. Bedliner is my Xterra's best friend
AMEN. Been going conservatively crazy with the stuff lately.

I've used Meguiar's "Back to Black" for years with good results. Recently used it to "restore" my 2009 Frontier to prep it for sale. Seems to work! The worst area was the plastic panel under the windshield wipers. It was very white, but within the amout of effort I felt like expending it looks acceptable black again (except for the air intake grills).
I used back to black on the panel under the wipers. It only made it blotchy. That might be user error but I really hate the creamy stuff like that. I really need to take the time and remove that panel to do it right.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I used back to black on the panel under the wipers. It only made it blotchy. That might be user error but I really hate the creamy stuff like that. I really need to take the time and remove that panel to do it right.
Lol well mine was already really blotchy white, so it definitely reduced the blotchiness a massive amount :D So it might depend on what you're starting with. Also it does require some buffing. I probably don't use it probably but I just repeat apply, wipe, buff, repeat until it looks better or I'm sick of it.

Anyhow it was only that one piece that was a problem (I gather the roof air deflector on the Xterra has a similar tendency to go white.) All the other plastic including bumpers cleaned up like new.

Edit: Added pic of the wiper panel. Not a great shot but best I have at the moment. Look closely at the air inlet below the passenger-side wiper and you can see how white it used to be. Maybe this is where the heat technique has advantage, working around awkward shapes like that grill that are difficult to buff?

Attachments

·
Registered
682 Posts
The heat gun did not dry it out anymore than before in my case. Honestly guys, any wipe on product is very temporary. I tried nearly all available and while they are perfect to prep a vehicle for sale, for daily they are a waste of time. The major problem panels on mine are the wiper cowl and bumper step pads. A quick shot of black plasti dip on the wiper cowl fixed it for good and the bumper steps got a few coats of spray bedliner after lots of prep. Both have held up well over the years. I love the bedliner on the step pads as now my foot does not slip on the morning dew.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Once the plastics are restored, you need to protect them. I use Turtle Wax Ice on my plastics and they're holding up well, so far. I haven't done a good detail on the truck in a while, so I can tell the plastics are a little dull, but Ice will bring them right back and keep them looking good.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The major problem panels on mine are the wiper cowl and bumper step pads. A quick shot of black plasti dip on the wiper cowl fixed it for good and the bumper steps got a few coats of spray bedliner after lots of prep. Both have held up well over the years. I love the bedliner on the step pads as now my foot does not slip on the morning dew.
I need to remove my cowl so I can paint it. I have also sprayed bed liner on the step pads and rear bumper. LOVE it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts