Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok.....sooooooo i dont think anyone on this board has realized that nissan made it possible to reset the ecu w/o having to disconnect the battery and without the use of a scantool.
so this is how you reset the engine ECU

i had to reset becuase i cleaned the TB throttle body and i messed up the idle control sensor.checkengine light came on.....
i sat in the car for like 40 mins trying to remember how i reset the maxima ecu......finally remembered....here it is.

1.)turn the key to the on position (do not crank over the motor....dont start the engine)

2.) wait 3 seconds.... and then fully step on the gas and let go fully 5 times with in 5 seconds....
(ex. wait...3....stomp.stomp.stomp.stomp.stomp

3.)wait 6seconds....(not steppig on gas pedal)

4. FULLY PRESSS down on gas pedal and hold for about 10 seconds.

5.) the check engine light should be flashing.
should be flashing 10times and stop a few seconds and then 10 and stop.....etc.
6. hold down pedal again 10 secs.

7. release pedal.....turn key off.....

8...wait a few seconds and turn the motor on.....check engine light should be gone.

i think dan should sticky this.

·
on line
1,420 Posts
good lord......i would have never thought thats how you do it....

- j

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Well, thats very convenient, BUT

--WHAT IF SOMETHING ----IS----WRONG--

--In that case, you're just delaying catastrophy !!!!

--Sorry

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
145 Posts
JIMBO said:
:clown: Well, thats very convenient, BUT

--WHAT IF SOMETHING ----IS----WRONG--

--In that case, you're just delaying catastrophy !!!!

--Sorry

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO
If something is wrong the light will come back on. In which case you know to take it in and get the codes read.

·
on line
4,495 Posts
Good info to keep on hand..Ctrl D it is!

Nissan and their funky ways of resettig things, like the air bag lights. Oh well, rather do this than spend the cash to have the dealer clear them.

·
on line
11 Posts
Is it like the Nissan sentra and the number of times the SES light flashes is the OBDII code?
-----
edit: here's a link
http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=76692
----
edit: more info:

Further research indicates that you can indeed pull the code with no tool using this technique. The first flashes are slow, This is the first flashes are the first number in the code (thousands column). The groups of faster flashes coorespond to other numbers in the code. Between each number in the code, there is a pause. Ten flashes equals a zero.

http://www.nissanhelp.com/diy/common/nissan_engine_codes_read_2.htm

·
on line
192 Posts
i just tried this out .. that part where u said it should flash it didn't but.. it worked. My light isn't on.

·
on line
71 Posts
hi guys, i tried this trick tonight and i can't believe it worked. its like a secret code. thanks a lot for posting it. this club is so much help. more power!

·
on line
2,303 Posts
Works every time. I've used that method with both my Nissan's, it probably works in any Nissan automobile.

Now that I have the Scan Gage it'll be a lot easier :)

·
on line
846 Posts
drove about 160 miles yesterday...5 miles from my house on the way back, BOOM... the CEL went on- tried the disconnect a few times and tightened everything on my intake and no luck... gonna do this tomorrow. cant wait to get that light off- sure put a damper on my day

·
on line
846 Posts
i tried this about a dozen times last night and no luck- i tried counting 1 one thousand... two one thousand... then even faster intervals. anyone have any idea what i'm doing wrong? am i maybe waiting too long to count to 3 in the beginning? what worked for you all? a faster or slower count?

·
on line
895 Posts
3.)wait 6seconds....(not steppig on gas pedal)

i think dan should sticky this.
Sticky an incorrect procedure? That would be a bad idea.

In particular, step 3 is wrong. If it worked for you, then you weren't counting seconds accurately.

Do yourself a favor and refer to the EC (Engine Control) section of the service manual for the correct procedure, or check out the link posted earlier in this thread by iepeulas.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Ok so i just got home from doing this reset and it worked like a charm, I then got on the freeway and drove 30 minutes at 60mph never exceeding 2000rpm and another 30 minutes the way back, man you've got to have patience to pull this off because it was a boring hour+ of driving like grandma! Anyways, the reset worked no problem lets hope now my MPG's improve just as easily!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I had to replace the Ecu on my 2006 Frontier same ecu as the xterra ( same numbers on the ecu) . I did the reset explained by bio3 tried it several times but didnot work any more Ideas?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I attempted to do this over my christmas break due to my long drive and had no luck with these instructions on the '11....My milage was terrible 14-15mpg all highway, My only mod 285s, I know there is a 3% difference with bigger tires, but **** I should not be getting 15mpg highway. Anyone have some updated steps?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I just did it and it worked... Previously the rpm were at 5000 when at a stop, noe they are at 7500 rpm
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 23 Posts