Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
on line
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello Everyone thought I would post this little mod I did yesterday. When ever off-roading I have always notices a clucking noise coming from the engine bay and I always took to it as being my hood rod dealio thingy (technical term) so on my trip to Anza Borrego this past weekend I removed it completely. The second I hit washboard I noticed that the noise was still there so when I went back into my hood to investigate I realized it was my K&N air filter smashing against the bottom part of my fender/ wheel well :bounce:, because that little bracket they have you mount it to is not quite strong enough for that MASSIVE filter and now has a hairline crack in it.
Sooo my temporary fix for the rest of the trip was a piece of string keeping it suspended which did nicely. Then yesterday I went down to Lowes and went shopping for reenforcement. I ended up buying:
1 pack of four 2.5in L brackets 4$ (ya four because NOOOO they can't sell them individually)
1 1in by 3 foot thing of thick aluminum 5$
All the hardware needed to bolt things together 2-3 $

Here was the result

What I did was measured down on the airbox how high I wanted the filter then drilled two holes in the airbox to hold the bracket. Then took the aluminum rod, cut it close to size and drilled a hole in it just large enough to fit the bolt that goes into the bottom of the airtube. Marked down the length onto the bracket. Cut the aluminum down to size and drilled a second hole in it to mount to the new L Bracket. Then when putting it together i bought a longer bolt for the bottom of that airtube to accommodate both brace's and lock tight the crap out of everything. One quick coat of Black paint because I wouldn't have it any other way and now it is twice the strength and is not able to touch any part of the body. :geek:

·
on line
631 Posts
I had that same problem... after rubbing and hitting my fender for a few thousand miles it finally rubbed a hole into the filter. I junked it and bought a cylindrical filter. modded the K&N bracket and reinforced it similar to the way you did...

When i first posted this problem earlier this year, i believe i was the only experiencing this!! now i know i am not alone!

·
on line
384 Posts
As they say, "Necessity is the mother of Invention." Nice job!

·
on line
685 Posts
I ended trashing my K&N after I put on the SuperCharger, the filter was pretty much useless because of this and all the bouncing broke the bracket on the engine that it was attached to. During the SC install I had to extend a few ground lines because of the broken bracket. ::sigh::

Now I have the AirRaid, much better support and it reuses the bottom half of my stock intake so the ram air (dryer duct to my bumper) is still effective.

/end rant

·
on line
323 Posts
i am going to do that this week..... found my filter resting on top of fender.....
Basically had the same issue with the Nismo Intake as well. I had to reinforce it with the angle iron bracket and bolts. I bolted to the inside of the engine bay/fender and where it deemed appropriate to firm up the contraption. It seems that driving on dirt roads sheared off a bolt that came from underneath the box from the fender area. The box around the filter bounced around like a rock in a tumbler. Since I was an idiot and lost the receipt for the work that I had done (install), Nissan wanted another $400 to fix it. $5 at Lowes did just fine.

·
on line
2,044 Posts
a month later, i finally did this modd.... works great.... and peace of mind from getting my filter bashed into the fender...

·
on line
2,044 Posts
note.... after doing this mod... i believe i over tightened the bolt that is located inside the metal box frame closest to the front headlight................ from the added stress the metal gave way around the built in nut on the xterra metal and broke off...........
if your going to do this mod, there should be a specific torque to avoid building stress on that braket and causing built in nut to break off.

·
on line
381 Posts
Ended up just bending the bracket that holds it about 20 degrees(tube mount and box mount, if thats what their called), approx. 1/2" to raise it (now have more than a finger width clearance), looks to have fixed it, i'll see when i hit some wash boards...

·
on line
99 Posts
Call K&N and they will send you a new one. I called and they did a retro kit because of them breaking. Not sure when they retro'd it to but they stand behind their products completely. I put mine on in January or so of 2007.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Do not mean to bring back a dead thread but I have searched everywhere and need some help. Does anyone who has completed this mod, or a similar mod to help support/reinforce have pics or advice on how to complete this? My K&N CAI system is loose and rattles around. I think its a very poor product from a well-respected manufacturer, K&N. I am very dissatified about the fit and finish of my K&N CAI and would like to reinforce it to prevent it from moving around and rattling in my engine bay.

Any pics, advice, or words of wisdom would be greatly appriciated. Thank you!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts