Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i loved the idea in this post http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=682 but did not want to drill so i came up with another solution. it uses a piece of angle iron to go across from the two sliding rails in the back.

i simply bought a piece of angle iron to put across the sliding rails. i bought a 4 foot lenght of galvanized steel angle with pre drilled holes from my local hardware store that fits perfectly. to find the right size bolts i simply took one of the sliding hooks out and took the end into the hardware store and found a bolt that fit. I forget what size but it might have been a M6-1.25 but im not sure. I guessed on the bolt length and had to go back and exchange them to get it perfect... again i should have wrote that down but i didnt.. :sign2: i know.

here it is installed. i put a bunch of washers under the angle iron to raise it so the angle doesnt rub the floor and the bolts to connect the fork holder to the angle dont rub the floor either.

as you can see it barley fits so make sure your bike fits before you do this

right after i put this in we went camping and took a pot hole filled dirt road and the bike didnt move at all. it cost about $15 for the angle iron and hardware and $22 for the fork mount. a lot less then what nissan sells theres for.. the only problem is you cant open the bottom compartment without removing it which is a pain since you need a wrench.. maybe ill find some bolts with a wing on the head kinda like a wing nut or weld a piece of metal on the top so i can do it by hand

yay for my first mod

·
on line
1,320 Posts
very cool and simple... i like it a lot. :cheers:
Maybe an eye bolt would work for easy removal. Once you figure that out you could also trim the ends down so you can just loosen and slide it toward the seat to open the floor hatch.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
That is pretty cool! On hand stock stuff or found cheap always good! This was my No Drill Bike rack that is quick release and uses the headrest as a mount, http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2966 I wasn't too hip on the drill idea either after I did it. MC

·
on line
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
usmc x, i saw that idea too but wanted something that wasnt going to move at all. thanks for the great ideas to get me started, i still need to put a piece of fuel line in the fork holder so it doesnt slide back and forth when my bikes not it there.

i plan on cutting the ends down when i get home from school then painting it also. im at school right now living in an apt and dont have all the tools a man should have. and the eye bolt sounds like a good idea.. might have to try that

·
on line
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
where did you get that bolt with the black knob on it?

·
on line
564 Posts
hokiexterra22 said:
...and where'd you get the clamp in the third pic?

Both are great ideas!

Rob

·
on line
46 Posts
robnfl said:
hokiexterra22 said:
...and where'd you get the clamp in the third pic?

Both are great ideas!

Rob

I bought a 10mm open head bolt from my local hardware store and glued a regular knob to it. the clamps are Yakima 4H I'm not sure if they still make them. I found mine on ebay.

·
on line
186 Posts
Finally got mine done! My rear hatch carrier was starting to rub into my paint, so this was a priority. Just 90 deg aluminum perched up with a 2x1 to create space for the hardware underneath, then bolted a Yakima blockhead. Pretty easy really.

Cut down screws w/ head removed them forced into a wrong size knob I found at Lowes. These were lock-tited in then epoxy'd. It should hold. (these are minus the wood blocks)

With the wood blocks installed. Only had room for 1 rubber washer. I think I have room to cut down the wood blocks, but would like to find a more permanent solution. (Yakima blockhead installed)

With everything installed and the bike locked down w/ a bungie keeping it stable. Drove around about 50 miles since with the bar end not hitting the pillar, it is only about 1 inch apart. Oh yeah, Bike and Golf clubs with room for a cooler :)

Materials-
90 degree aluminum from Lowes
2 Yakima bulkheads on EBAY
Hardware from Lowes
Random wood I found in my parents garage

·
on line
1,420 Posts
great idea...i like that...easy to load the bike too, roll it in and pitch the handle bars over to clear the D pillar and voiloa...easy to get too fork mounts...nice man..

ill be doing something like this soon.
-J

1 - 14 of 14 Posts