Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us with Pioneer aftermarket head units....

First thing I did was run the antenna, I decided to install it on the rear of the truck since I did not want to deal with going through the firewall, though I have heard/read it is not that hard. There are a number of different write ups on here about how and where to install the antenna.

I came in through the weather striping and went straight into the headliner.

From here I went along the headliner all the way to the passenger B pillar, pulled the trim for that off and went down to the floor.

from here I went under the carpet and over to the center console area.

Now, time to install the tuner itself. There is a great little spot right behind the shifter, at least for us MT people. It does require power, and having already installed a GPS, I was not in the mood to splice a lot so I bought these tap in connectors from Radio Shack and tapped the necessary wires
(Since it is a pioneer HU, you can tap the same color wires coming out of the harness)

Don't forget to ground, this bolt worked well, one of the shifter mount bolts.

I did not take pictures of plugging the IP Bus cable in because, well i forgot, but it is easy. It only fits one way in one hole on the back of your HU.

Here it is ready to be closed back up.

Time to ROCK!

·
on line
51 Posts
Nice! I was just about to install my Pioneer nav and XM this Saturday, and I couldn't think of a good place for the XM receiver. I like it!

·
on line
109 Posts
I have an Avic-D1, its a piece of S***. None of the buttons work and when i touch one place it selects another one. Also it doesnt open or close anymore. Im never goin to buy a pioneer head unit again. Pioneer doesnt want to admit that they have a problem with the avic-d1. Sooooo many people have had the same problems. How yours holdin up?

·
on line
2,044 Posts
deck not working...

sorry to hear about your pioneer.... i had a similar problem with my sony xm deck.... i like to save money so i bought it at a sony factory outlet.... after 9 months, the rear speakers stopped working- went online and googled the sony # reviews and found that a lot of people where complaining about this deck going out in 7 to 9 months...... went back to the u.s. and i had purchased the warranty.... none of the local warranty places would agree to try to fix it....i went back to the sony factory store and taped my name and info on the bad sony deck..... told them " do what ever you want with it, its no use for me at this time" purchased another sony xm deck along with warraty...... 18 months later still working perfect. i would recomend to everyone looking to upgrade their stereo to check on line under reviews for the brand and model...you will be able to see if its going to give you any problems in the future....

·
on line
15 Posts
:Slaps Forehead:

Back when I was an installer I'd see these things fail or sever the tapped wire all the time. People would come in with another shops mess because something crapped out and I'd find these a lot. If you have the know-how, solder all your connections. Especially if you're wheeling, quick connectors are junk. I'm not trying to be a prick, I'm just sayin....

·
on line
3,908 Posts
:Slaps Forehead:

Back when I was an installer I'd see these things fail or sever the tapped wire all the time. People would come in with another shops mess because something crapped out and I'd find these a lot. If you have the know-how, solder all your connections. Especially if you're wheeling, quick connectors are junk. I'm not trying to be a prick, I'm just sayin....
X2...

·
on line
280 Posts
I installed this recently and learned something new about the X. I already had an XM radio that I installed a couple of years ago. I mounted the antenna in the back and ran the wire through the grommet for the rear washer fluid hose and into the headliner to get it inside. After yanking out the old antenna I was ready for the new one. The Pioneer unit has a larger antenna plug and there was no way I was going to run it through that same grommet. So I pulled the weatherstrip off and the metal opening has a lip to help keep the water out. Well right in the dead center of that lip there is a small notch in the metal which is perfect for running that wire into the inside without raising up the weatherstrip too much and letting water in. I don't know how I hadn't noticed that notch before. I wouldn't have had to go through the grommet. Thought this might help anyone wanting to run a wire into the inside.

·
on line
2 Posts
I had a hard time finding a good place to install the P920XM on my 2008 MT. I couldn't find the spot Buckeye was talking about behind the shifter, seemed that cup holders and air bag control unti were in the way no matter what.

I found a perfect little spot right between the console bucket and back-seat cupholders. The nice thing is you can use the included mounting brackets to get a secure mount, with slight modification.

First remove the panel that contains the rear cupholders, it pops right off.

Next there's a strip of metal holding the console to the floor. I toolk pliers and bent the tab closest to me straight up.

Put mounting brackets on receiver like so

Put the receiver in place, I pushed it as far right as possible. Use one of the included self-tapping screws to mount the bottom bracket into that metal tab we bent up. This one screw was enough to hold it in place pretty good, but I put 2 bolts through the top mounting bracket from the inside of the console bucket to really keep it in place.

The cupholder panel fits back on perfectly. There's also plenty of room to stash the extra IPBus wire. I grounded the unit on one of the bolts going into the floor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts