Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I finally purchased some Shrockworks sliders for the X and I was wondering how bad is the installation? I can't imagine it being too hard. Although, if I have to drill into the frame rails won't getting the nuts onto the bolts be hard? Unless it is through drilled. Just wondering so I don't run into any suprises!

Edit: I just did some looking on XOC and came up with this. http://members.cox.net/cmsincpage/Slider_Shrock_05.PDF
The pictures aren't that good, but it will do for now. I am still open to any information/tips from people that have installed them.

Thanks,
Brandon

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Re: 05/06 Shrockworks Sliders Installation

B Slater said:
I finally purchased some Shrockworks sliders for the X and I was wondering how bad is the installation? I can't imagine it being too hard. Although, if I have to drill into the frame rails won't getting the nuts onto the bolts be hard? Unless it is through drilled. Just wondering so I don't run into any suprises!

Edit: I just did some looking on XOC and came up with this. http://members.cox.net/cmsincpage/Slider_Shrock_05.PDF
The pictures aren't that good, but it will do for now. I am still open to any information/tips from people that have installed them.

Thanks,
Brandon
The install is very easy. There is one hole that you do have to drill in the frame and it is at the back end of the frame. It pretty much tells you in the directions. Just make sure that you line it up first then drill the whole. The first time I did a set on a friend's truck she then read off that we had to drill a hole and this was after we had already installed the slider on the driver's side. We were going step by step. That was one lesson that I did learn though. The rest is easy. For the question about the nut that goes on the bolt that goes through the hole you have to drill, that goes on really easy. There's a hole in the bottom of the frame and you have one special nut in the pack. This has a piece of wire that is spot welded on to it. You take this nut and put it up through the frame. Then you use the wire to hold it up against the bolt. Make sure that it is on straight. Next after you have the bolt on there just twist the crap out of the wire and it will break off and there you go.

One thing that I did was I took the install a step further by having a muffler shop (Big Al's) weld my sliders to the frame. They welded the contact pads to it. I paid $40 for them to do it. Now they will not go any place without taking the frame with them. Other then that it is very easy to install.

·
on line
122 Posts
Buy an indexing bit. It makes it a ton easier to drill the hole into the frame. The install is easy just follow the directions.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. We have a ton of unibits at the shop. It works out well now I don't have to spend the $50 to get a nice unibit!

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Install is so easy even I managed to do it. By myself...I used some boxes to prop up one end while I put the bolts in on the other, all while just crawling around in the driveway. :cyclops:

·
on line
3,217 Posts
It can be done by yourself. I used Jack stands on my truck to hold up the other side. It does add 110 pounds to the weight of the truck though.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DANG IT!! I just called AC to check the status of my sliders that I ordered Jan 18th and they are not scheduled to ship until March 25th!!! That is freakin horrible since I am going wheeling in the land of the rocks on March 26th. I could have got the non-painted ones earlier, but I want them powder coated. I hear it is a pain to paint them. Just venting! :spiderman: :cussing: :mumum:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Painting them is not hard, just dirty and time consuming if you want to do it right.

I also find it odd that they will ship out on a Saturday.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
B
If you can get them to push the ship up just a little you may still get them on. The install is way easy. I did it and I know you have your shit together far more than me!

Now we just need to start a vendor bitch forum here...you and MC can moderate!

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The sad fact is that Shrockworks is to blame....they are too popular!

·
on line
134 Posts
I too am waiting on sliders ordered in early January. No ship date in sight. Though I was told the delay was due to a group buy from VAXC.

DAMN YOU VAXC!!!! :angry4:

What do you say MC? Lets boycott VAXC and their tyranny :brave:

Ok, too much talk and not enough sleep does weird things to me :dontknow:

G

·
0 Posts
im glad i ordered my shrocks in december and got them on in january. it really does help to order them bare. and if you will actually be using them as i am, you wont have any powdercoat left after the first few outings anyway. so you will be spray painting or coating them yourself, sooner or later.

i am thinking of going to a herculine/rhino line solution once the weather warms up a little bit more. like next weekend :)

·
on line
3,484 Posts
BioMan said:
I too am waiting on sliders ordered in early January. No ship date in sight. Though I was told the delay was due to a group buy from VAXC.

DAMN YOU VAXC!!!! :angry4:

What do you say MC? Lets boycott VAXC and their tyranny :brave:

Ok, too much talk and not enough sleep does weird things to me :dontknow:
Yea! And that is most likely why My Bumper is over 30 days LATE from the day he said it would be done. I have a Winch and a remote for winch WAITING for Bumper. They are getting impatient, not me! Roll eyes.
MC

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a feeling the rock gods are just laughing waiting for me to venture on thier turf and smash my rockers!

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Just to be cliche...

Chicks dig body damage! :geek:

·
on line
134 Posts
WooHoo, had to work late tonight but had a special delivery waiting when I got home. Almost thought I had made out too good as the box came packaged with installation instructions for a front bumper. Jackpot! But no luck, just the sliders in there... So now I have to locate a set of instructions which I know exist in a thread around here (or VAXC) somewhere. Did manage to get two stickers though. Oh yeah, and to add to Almost Complete's record, the extra center support I paid for isn't on the sliders. Guess I'll try getting an in-store credit?

·
on line
335 Posts
that's crazy...i ordered mine jan 19th from AC, and they came in tonight also! and with front bumper instructions...oh well...

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Bio
If you really want the extra support have the vendor (AC???) make it right. If people accept poor customer srevice then it just sets a new standard. Don't let them get away with it. :director:

·
on line
134 Posts
Ok so maybe I'm the JackAss here. :withstupid: The extra center support must be between the bar and the hoop. I was under the impression it meant three supports would mount to the frame. I hate being wrong. At least I caught my error prior to calling and making a total fool of myself. Who ever said ignorance is bliss?

And the stupid sign isnt pointed at you Roberto, I just took too long to post the reply I guess

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Who you calling stupid??? Oh yea, thatwould be me! :geek:

Still funny that they are sending front bumper intructions. If you can't find em on line I think I still have mine and can fax them to you.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts